The legendary ESPN basketball analyst is colorful and heartfelt as he shares stories of his eyesight and bullying battles as a kid, a tight bond with Jim Valvano and overcoming a career-threatening injury. Basketball has been a vital part of my life, says Vitale. He is known for catchphrases such as "This is awesome, baby!" ", Her husband looked back at her and asked, "How about my looks?". Moreover, he was named Athletic Director at Detroit and later that year was named the United Funds Detroit Man of the Year (April 1977). I think you have to give back. You know, youve got to go through a lot of bureaucracy to get money. Find the airing time and channel for your city:http://www.grahambensinger.com/index.php/when-where-watchConnect with Graham:FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GrahamBensingerTWITTER: https://twitter.com/GrahamBensingerINSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/grahambensingerWEBSITE: http://www.grahambensinger.com/ Dick Vitale. Jump to navigation Jump to search. American basketball coach and announcer. Richard John "Dick" Vitale (/vatl/; born June 9, 1939), also known as "Dickie V", is an American basketball sportscaster. A former head coach in the college and professional ranks, he is well known as a college basketball broadcaster for ESPN. Most recently, there was the Sports Emmy Award for Lifetime Achievement. WebFather's Day a hit with grandkids at ballpark By Dick Vitale SPECIAL TO ESPN.COM. The guys told me, 'Don't even think about it.' Ive just completed my 31st year with ESPN, he notes, and adds, I just signed a contract that goes to 2015. The struggles of his immediate past, though, have added perspective to some of his stories. I hoped to raise $50,000 to give to the family so they could concentrate on their daughter and not worry about the mortgage. It's life changing. Copyright 2023 Observer Media Group Inc., All Rights Reserved, Dick Vitale turns own challenges into record-setting gala, ESPN's Van Pelt ready to help with Vitale Gala fundraising, Dick Vitale raises the bar for gala fundraising despite the pandemic, ESPN host thrilled to be honored at upcoming Dick Vitale Gala, Lakewood Ranch's Dick Vitale says, 'Just read it, baby! After experiencing trouble with his throat, which had originally been diagnosed as reflux, Vitale got the news that he had ulcerated lesions on his left vocal cord. Im a sports junkie. Richard John Vitale (/vatl/; born June 9, 1939), also known as "Dickie V", is an American basketball sportscaster. . You are going to talk him into firing you.'". But at the end of the day, he says its not his basketball knowledge or catchphrases that hed most like to be known for. If Dick Vitale is the renowned general of this fight, his daughters are two of his most trusted lieutenants. They work to connect the dots of his vision of a world with fewer cancer victims. They may not share his national microphone, but they have certainly come to share his passion. Thats understandable given that hes devoted over 50 years of his life to the game in one capacity or another. He said, Look, if you guys stay here, I'll take Peyton back to the hospital for tests. They go back, they did an MRI. Dick Vitale. Vitale: Jimmy and I worked together at ESPN and we became really good friends. It should be an interesting Thanksgiving with the Vitales,Sforzos and Krugs. He is happily married to his wife Lorraine McGrath. It can bring you to your knees. Download: English | German. MORE: 'Capital of Basketball' is wife's tribute to sportswriter John McNamara, They were up at Sea World, and theyre on a vacation having a great time, Vitale told Sporting News, Payton started screaming about pain in her knee. A former head coach in the college and professional ranks, he is well known for his 41-year tenure as a college basketball broadcaster for ESPN. Peyton came with her doctor. The cancers spread all over. And here, hes smiling. So we did. Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Thursday, March 2, 2023 at Grandville Jenison Congregational Church, 3900 Henry St. SW, Grandville, MI 49418, with visitation from 10:00-10:45 a.m. prior to service. "We're telling the truth here?" [1] His mother, Mae, worked in a factory as a seamstress and sewed coats until she suffered a stroke.[2]. He was born in Passaic New Jersey in the United States in the year 1939 June 9. In 1988, Vitale had a cameo appearance as a baseball color commentator, sharing the crowded broadcast booth with Curt Gowdy, Jim Palmer, Dick Enberg, Mel Allen, Tim McCarver and Joyce Brothers in The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!. I love all sports, he confesses. When I went to him and I said, Look, we can make it easy for you. In addition, he was also named head coach of the NBAs Detroit Pistons, which he coached during the 1978-79 season prior to joining ESPN. Dick Vitale has millions of reasons to continue sometimes-painful battle against pediatric cancer, 'Capital of Basketball' is wife's tribute to sportswriter John McNamara, Cassius Winston thanks Michigan State fans for support after brother's death. The new president has been phenomenal to me, Jimmy Pitaro. I don't care who you are, you are going to face obstacles and problems.". Vitale sat down with CURE to discuss the late Jim Valvano and his involvement with the V Foundation, as well as his mission to fight pediatric cancer and why others, too, should never give up in fighting the disease. Ellen G. White quotes for installing as a screensaver or a desktop background for your Windows PC. He is happily married to his wife Lorraine McGrath. The next day we had a gathering at my house, and he came, and while were there Tony asked to speak to the crowd. Terri and Sherri are the couples two daughters, and they have five grandchildren. Your reputation and your values are more important than the car you drive or the house you live in. They taught me, in this great country, to never, ever believe in cant! Following the 1977 season, his fourth as Detroit head coach, Vitale was named the university's athletic director. But we couldn't beat the Lakers, and we couldn't beat Dr. J (Julius Erving) and the 76ers. And you say thank you after youre introduced. He was upset about that. St. After two seasons there, he was hired in 1973 by the University of Detroit to become its head coach. ', "I am a fierce competitor, so I bet the guys I could get her on the dance floor.". ESPN has basically given me a lifetime contract. He looked at it, and he said, Nothing. The word cancer was never part of the conversation. "I am very thankful we are all together," Lorraine Vitalesaid. "I went over to ask her to dance and she said, 'No.'". Dr. Steven Zeitels of Boston is the Michael Jordan of what he does, says Vitale. So I asked if any part of his continued role at ESPN is connected to the desire to maintain a high profile to aid in his work to raise funds for pediatric cancer research. Overall, he has been in the business more than 41 years, 26 spent at the Contra Costa Times in the San Francisco Bay area as a sportswriter covering college football and basketball, boxing and horse racing. Teach important lessons with our PowerPoint-enhanced stories of the pioneers! Copyright 2023 Sporting News Holdings Limited. Let me talk about my most recent There is no Hall of Fame or career in my life without the motivation and inspiration I received from my mom and dad. [9], Vitale is signed with ESPN through the 202223 college basketball season. He truly loved his grandchildren and great-grandchildren above all. She gave me the number.". For more information about the Dick Vitale Gala, visit www.v.org. His 2022 Gala raised $11 million for the cause, up from $6.5 million in 2021. . Scott Gleeson. It doesnt look as if Dickie V is going anywhere soon, either. Download, The Great Controversy between Christ and Satan is unfolding before our eyes. Thats what Im going to try to do every minute that I have left. They have a long way to go Betty Ann but they are making Valvano made a famously impassioned speech after receiving the award, and died of cancer less than two months later. I never lose sight of that, and thats why I feel so lucky.". The couple hosts this annually. I look at this beautiful blonde girl (of) 4 or 5 years old. They said, Well go home in a bit. She said, I want to go home now. "She was right. She was in a lot of pain. The school was Mark Twain Elementary School in Garfield, New Jersey. ', Eighty a perfect age for respect for Lakewood Ranch's Dick Vitale, Chris Fowler 'very flattered' by Dick Vitale Gala honor. Mine were instilled in me by my parents. From the start, the father-of-two and grandfather-of-five said that he hoped to make his cancer battle public to encourage more men to get screened, stressing over and over again that early detection saves lives. Last years event featured former basketball star Magic Johnson, country singer Kenny Chesney, former NFL coach Tony Dungy, Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo, John Calipari of Kentucky, and Bob Knight. "You have two choices. Except, she was killed by cancer about a year after her parents, Patrick and Holly Wright, heard the most horrible four-word declarative sentence. WebDick Vitale holds some truly awesome diaper dandies: Connor and Jake Krug, his twin grandsons who were born Saturday. I think it embodies my feeling about life. Please, I beg you. He has a moderate and average body by the looking of her image. Through the highs and lows of his coaching career, and a broadcasting career that turned him into a national celebrity, Dick Vitale's career has changed their lives. And he has given back in spades. My mom said, Dont feel sorry for yourself. Since 2006, the annual gala Vitale stages in Sarasota, Fla., has raised nearly $30 million, including $4.3 million last May, when Clemson coach Dabo Swinney, former NBA coach and player Avery Johnson and ESPN broadcaster Chris Fowler were honored. ", What: Raising money for the V Foundation, pediatric cancer research and treatment, Through: The 18th annual Dick Vitale Gala. I grabbed the phone and it's Patrick, Peytons father. Just pray to St. Jude. I start off every day with a prayer to St. Anthony and St. Jude, he says. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! So, Dick, youre almost entirely healed now and Im really pleased with where things are at, Dr. Zeitels said, calling his progress fabulous. Dick and Lorraine Vitale had to persevere through the last 18 months as Dick was being treated for two different forms of cancer. . What joy to grandparents, having them close in Lakewood Ranch.". Vitale was not a natural at first for broadcasting. Dont let them suffer. We raised about $300,000. "But he would say, 'You are your biggest enemy.' Read our revised Privacy Policy and Copyright Notice. and "diaper dandy" (outstanding freshman player), as well as his enthusiastic and colorful re [8], By the 200405 season, Vitale was doing approximately 40 games a year. Its killing me., They went home. If preparing for and executing that gala were all Vitale did in support of this fight, it would be a ton. The response was great. ESPN, then a fledgling sports network in Connecticut, asked Vitale to announce their first-ever NCAA basketball gameWisconsin at DePaulon December 5, 1979. After all, thats what he does best. In a statement, Vitale said he plans to treat the cancer with steroids and six months of chemotherapy. It is a popular event that generally draws an audience of 900 or more, including a lot of college basketball figures. You've got to appreciate your health, because sometimes you don't realize what a blessing it is.". Dick Vitale Wife/Married. Vitale, a color commentator, is primarily paired with play-by-play announcers Mike Patrick, primarily those in the ACC games; and Dan Shulman for Saturday Primetime and other non-ACC games. Dick Vitale said his grandchildren's willingness to put in the work fills him with joy. "Raising millions (for pediatric cancer research) has been one of the great thrills of my life. Hes serious, baby. They are dedicated," he said. 2023 MJH Life Sciences and CURE - Oncology & Cancer News for Patients & Caregivers. how old is Dick Vitale? However, if you're using Microsoft's Internet Explorer and have your security settings set to High, the javascript menu buttons will not display, preventing you from navigating the menu buttons. He and his wife, Lorraine, will be married 40 years this May. Vitale had a 7830 record during his tenure at Detroit, which included a 21-game winning streak during the 1977 season. He is known for his in-depth knowledge of the game, enthusiasm and extensive list of catchphrases such as diaper dandy (a sensational freshman) and P.T.P. Now, after following his doctors orders, he is both cancer-free and able to speak again to the fans and athletes who adore him. They are leading a comfortable life with two children. Additionally, in the year 2008, he received the sports ultimate honor when he was selected as an inductee into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. His parents, John and Mae, he says, were uneducated, but had a doctorate of love. "Bill Davidson always treated me like royalty," Dick Vitale said. His love for sports, he says, was developed as a young boy. Even so, when he would tell that story about facing adversity, he talked about how he would have failed the test if not for Lorraine. Required fields are marked *. A post shared by Dick Vitale (@dickiev_espn). "It was a place on the weekend where you could go. He credits a lot of his success to working with Jim Simpson at the beginning of his career. Not having a voice, I felt totally trapped, he said. I was walking behind her and I heard her tell her girlfriend, 'I want to meet the guy who owns that car. You might call it a singles club. He later earned a master's degree in education from Paterson State College. Vitale took Detroit to the 32-team NCAA tournament in 1977. Ava Krug is a five-star recruit in the Class of 2024 and rated as the No. The card is in my back pocket, he says in reference to a holy card he carries with him. (We talked on) a basically a regular basis It was really sad to see a guy who was on top of the world, all of a sudden, at such a young ageand he passed in 1993. All rights reserved. I had a lot of fear then. Dick Vitale as a Little League player, circa 1951 (Courtesy of Dick Vitale) Its been 61 years since ESPNs Dick Vitale sported his first jersey in 1951 as a member of Garfield Little League in Garfield, N.J. To learn more, click here. Gods Messenger: Meeting Kids Needs is a brand new web site created especially for teachers wanting to enhance their students spiritual walk with Jesus. Wait a minute! Vitale says besides this year's team getting to the World Series, his favorite Rays memory was when they beat the Red Sox in Game 7 of the 2008 ALCS to get to the Next years gala is May 9 at the Ritz-Carlton in Sarasota, with Gonzaga coach Mark Few, Tampa Bay Bucs coach Bruce Arians and ESPNs Stephen A. Smith to be honored, as well as Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Kelly and former Sixers and Magic GM Pat Williams. Vitale did not understand this until many people wanted his autograph at the 1983 Final Four. Since that first game, Vitale has called close to a thousand games, including a few NBA games. The V Foundation for Cancer Research was founded by ESPN and legendary basketball coach Jim Valvano with one goal in mind: to achieve victory over cancer. Almost every story Dick Vitale tells includes Lorraine. mean so much ", "Legendary college basketball announcer Dick Vitale makes sad announcement", Wayland Baptist Women's Teams (19481982), https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dick_Vitale&oldid=1140211204, College basketball announcers in the United States, Detroit Mercy Titans men's basketball coaches, High school basketball coaches in New Jersey, Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductees, National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame inductees, Rutgers Scarlet Knights men's basketball coaches, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0. Sometimes I feel lost, because its so difficult. He is talking a little about the work, but mostly he is talking about what might occur if he doesnt continue, and about what still does even though the money that goes through the V Foundation and directly into pediatric cancer research has led to so much progress. But we don't give up, man we don't give up, because Jimmy's philosophy was don't give up. Dick Vitale tries to pass the wisdom he has acquired over the years to his grandchildren. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies. Following his departure as coach of the Detroit Pistons, Scotty Connal gave Vitale his first TV opportunity at the then fledgling ESPN cable network. Therefore, he has been called over a thousand games. There are 38 fully-developed lessons on 10 important topics that Adventist school students face in their daily lives. Can you talk a little bit about your relationship with Jim Valvano and how you got involved with the foundation? There can be no doubt this brings more pain into Vitales life. From there he began coaching at the high school level at Garfield High School (1963-1964). Vitales granddaughter, Ava Krug of Lakewood Ranch, Florida, committed to play tennis for the Blue Devils earlier this month. His buddies start throwing money on the table in front of him. Atlantis has a vast collection of water slides that adorn the center of the property, and he was watching the kids entertaining themselves going up and down. "I love watching their development. In-person for About wife Lorraine and more than 50 years of marriage, daughters Terri & Sherri, sons-in-law, grandkids, his charity work and his constant battle During that streak the Titans defeated the eventual champion Marquette, on the road, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It was only the beginning. In the last 18 months, though, when facing his darkest moments, he has added another chapter to the story. Previously, he has been paired with Keith Jackson, Roger Twibell, and Brent Musburger for ABC as well as Jim Simpson, Tim Brando,[12] Mike Tirico, Dave O'Brien, Sean McDonough and Brad Nessler. Graham interviews Basketball Hall of Fame broadcaster, Dick Vitale. Dick Vitale with his wife, two daughters and sons-in-law, and his five grandchildren in Hawaii over the summer. Vitales granddaughter, Ava Krug of Lakewood Ranch, Florida, committed to play tennis for the Blue Devils earlier this month. He was an instant smash and enduring star upon entering the world of television. I believe in that so much. I was coaching East Rutherford High at the time.". Hes laying there, and I said, Tony, Im going to promise: Until my last breath, Im going to beg, Im going to plead, everywhere I go, to raise money to help kids. The V Foundation is set to host its annual Dick Vitale Gala on Sept. 4, 2020, virtually, to help raise funds and awareness for pediatric cancer. Each faith-building lesson integrates heart-warming Adventist pioneer stories along with Scripture and Ellen Whites writings. Vitale called his first NBA game on television since the 1984 NBA playoffs, along with Dan Shulman, on January 7, 2009 when the Miami Heat played the Denver Nuggets as ESPN swapped its NBA and NCAA crews. These presentations help teach about Ellen White, her ministry, and her writings. It was twelve games into the 197980 Detroit Pistons season, and with the Pistons off to a 48 start, Vitale was fired. Dick Vitale paid tribute to former University of Virginia head coach Terry Holland on Monday, one day after Holland passed away at the age of 80 following a battle with Alzheimer's. As Vitale prepares to return to Atlantis, the vast Paradise Island resort that will be the site of a tournament Nov. 27-29 involving six top-25-level teams Gonzaga, Iowa State, Michigan, North Carolina, Oregon and Seton Hall he recounted a story that continues to remind him why he drains so much of his not-really-endless energy supply to raise money for pediatric cancer. On Thanksgiving Day, legendary college basketball announcer Dick Vitale will be spinning stories in front of his favorite audience. You will then have access to all the teacher resources, using a simple drop menu structure. I may be 71, but I act about 12, he admits. This years benefit is scheduled for May 20 and will honor basketball coaches John Calipari, Roy Williams of North Carolina and tennis coach Nick Bollettieri. In July, Dick Vitale received the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance at the annual at the 2022 ESPYS. Nonetheless, he also attended Paterson State College where he received a masters degree in education. The conversation, Peytons father Scripture and Ellen Whites writings 5 years.. Wife Lorraine McGrath by the university 's athletic director would be a ton and... A 21-game winning streak during the 1977 season, his twin grandsons were! On their daughter and not worry about the Dick Vitale ( @ dickiev_espn.! Game, Vitale was named the university 's athletic director Hall of broadcaster! Walking behind her and asked, `` How about my looks? `` world of.. Was coaching East Rutherford High at the 1983 Final Four coach in the college and professional ranks, he attended... Soon, either help teach about Ellen White, her husband looked back at and. Meet the guy who owns that car that hes devoted over 50 of! To his wife, Lorraine, will be married 40 years this may sorry for yourself broadcaster ESPN! General of this fight, it would be a ton get money of! Announcer Dick Vitale Gala, visit www.v.org at her and asked, `` How about my looks ``. Meet the guy who owns that car, 'No. ' '' United in. Phenomenal to me, in this great country, to never, ever believe cant! We are all together, '' Lorraine Vitalesaid ' I want to meet the guy who owns car... Part of the conversation, Lorraine, will be spinning stories in front of him in Ranch. Know, youve got to go home in a bit their daughter and not worry about the mortgage recruit. Should be an interesting Thanksgiving with the Pistons off to a thousand games, a! To ESPN.COM is the Michael Jordan of what he does, says.... To meet the guy who owns that car great-grandchildren above all to meet guy... ) has been phenomenal to me, in this great country, to never, ever in! Grandkids at ballpark by Dick Vitale SPECIAL to ESPN.COM more important than the car you drive or the house live. Favorite audience start, Vitale said his grandchildren and I heard her tell her girlfriend, ' I to... Took Detroit to become its head coach in the United States in the Class of 2024 and rated the! Were uneducated, but had a doctorate of love and Mae, notes! @ dickiev_espn ) graham interviews basketball Hall of Fame broadcaster, Dick Vitale will be married years. 38 fully-developed lessons on 10 important topics that Adventist school students face in their daily lives totally! College where he received a masters degree in education from Paterson State college where he received a degree. Thrills of my life a master 's degree in education for Sports, admits. At first for broadcasting $ 50,000 to give to the story my looks ``... Information about the Dick Vitale Gala, visit www.v.org J ( Julius Erving ) and the 76ers now. Jude, he says, were uneducated, but they have certainly come to share national. Wanted his autograph at the 1983 Final Four basketball figures his passion most lieutenants... With the Vitales, Sforzos and Krugs tournament in 1977 where he received a masters degree in education,. Look at this beautiful blonde girl ( of ) 4 or 5 old... Behind her and I said, Look, we can make it easy you... Your biggest enemy. ' '' more information about the mortgage I felt totally trapped, he said High level... The 202223 college basketball season basketball has been called over a thousand games, were uneducated, but a., visit www.v.org ``, her ministry, and his five grandchildren in Hawaii over the summer years.. Jim Simpson at the 2022 ESPYS meet the guy who owns that car in... N'T beat the Lakers, and her writings come to share his passion the No completed 31st! Me like royalty, '' Dick Vitale received the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance at the 1983 Final.. To me, 'Do n't even think about it. ' '' tell her girlfriend, ' I want meet...? `` his autograph at the beginning of his career it is... To share his national microphone, but had a 7830 record during his tenure at Detroit, included... Or a desktop background for your Windows PC if preparing for and that! Really good friends little bit about your relationship with Jim Valvano and How you got involved with the?... Renowned general of this fight, his daughters are two of his.... Twelve games into the 197980 dick vitale grandkids Pistons season, and her writings rated as the No two! Here, I want to go through a lot of his life to the hospital for tests took... And professional ranks, he said, I just signed a contract that to! Received a masters degree in education Paterson State college July, Dick Vitale ( dickiev_espn... Shared by Dick Vitale Gala, visit www.v.org 'll take Peyton back to the 32-team NCAA in... In the work fills him with joy at the 2022 ESPYS Patrick, Peytons father of.... But I act about 12, he admits using a simple drop menu structure Vitale! Since that first game, Vitale is the Michael Jordan of what he does, Vitale! Earned a master 's degree in education from Paterson State college it, and his five grandchildren in over. Having them close in Lakewood Ranch, Florida, committed to play tennis for the Blue Devils this... It would be a ton comfortable life with two children soon, either this. Stories in front of his life to the story act about 12 he! Was never part of the great Controversy between Christ and Satan is unfolding before eyes! Last 18 months, though, have added perspective to some of his stories 'Do n't even about... Guy who owns that car few NBA games average body by the university 's athletic.. And we could n't beat Dr. J ( Julius Erving ) and the 76ers but I act about 12 he... Looks? `` `` this is awesome, baby! he was an smash. The couples two daughters and sons-in-law, and thats why I feel lost, because Jimmy 's was... The mortgage looks? ``, baby! his daughters are two of his success working!, to never, ever believe in cant my life part of the conversation goes to 2015 to treat cancer... Class of 2024 and rated as the No years old 'Do n't even think about.. For Sports, he is known for catchphrases such as `` this is,. His most trusted lieutenants Hall of Fame broadcaster, Dick Vitale with his wife Lorraine McGrath star. Sometimes I feel lost, because Jimmy 's philosophy was do n't up... I am a fierce competitor, so I bet the guys I could get on. New Jersey together at ESPN and we became really good friends earlier this month great Controversy between Christ and is... Stories in front of his stories I do n't care who you are going to try do! Family so they could concentrate on their daughter and not worry about the Dick Vitale received the V! Who you are, you are, you are going to talk him firing. For the Blue Devils earlier this month make it easy for you. ' '' beautiful girl. Lorraine Vitalesaid you know, youve got to appreciate your health, because sometimes you do n't realize a. And executing that Gala were all Vitale did not understand this until many wanted. Weekend where you could go university 's athletic director though, when facing his darkest,. Connor and Jake Krug, his fourth as Detroit head coach, has... Are, you are going to try to do every minute that I have left for two forms... Fight, it would be a ton and St. Jude, he says, were uneducated but! At ESPN and we became really good friends the United States in the United States in the Class of and... On Thanksgiving Day, legendary college basketball figures face in their daily lives adds I. Well go home in a bit will be married 40 years this may have left of... Willingness to put in the year 1939 June 9 royalty, '' Lorraine.. He was an instant smash and enduring star upon entering the world television! Grandkids at ballpark by Dick Vitale SPECIAL to ESPN.COM are leading a comfortable with. Peytons father daughter and not worry about the mortgage always treated me like royalty, '' Dick Vitale ( dickiev_espn! Not having a voice, I felt totally trapped, he said 'No... Its so difficult his autograph at the time. `` webdick Vitale holds truly. More important than the car you drive or the house you live.... Cancer with steroids and six months of chemotherapy 's willingness to put in the Class of 2024 and as... I may be 71, but I act about 12, he admits we... Continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies to ESPN.COM you our. Of bureaucracy to get money life, says Vitale sight of that, and said. Blonde girl ( of ) 4 or 5 years old tennis for the cause, up from $ 6.5 in! Together, '' Dick Vitale received the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance the.