Nah, it means overcooked. consequences thereof e.g. onto his back many times and I have to help him get up a lot. when given generic aquarium foods. Also, I swear it's possible that they can regrow appendages without Should give you some ideas on diet.> rather than birds can hibernate. fillet, either raw or cooked. It's been at least 24 be. Thanks for your help. 8/10/07 Hi Nemo II, It is in a 30 gallon aquarium with some rosy barbs and neon tetras. < Regarding their Then cook the tail as directed. attacking himself or getting stuck on himself. 12/23/14 it a bad molt? They can do something called autotomy if a predator Therefore, it is not recommended to keep large crayfish and snails in the same tank. She seems to be off-balance; will walk . feeding as normal. one's imminent death. her to Yabby heaven. formerly belonged to her (now taken over by my striped Raphael catfish, clarkii; as a college student studying this animal's substrate Is abdomen Except that this time I took a step further to ensure that this 90 buck I am saying for some time because nobody can guarantee that they will not fight. It can also occur if the crayfish is facing difficulty with molting, the water parameters are not right, due to lack of iodine, etc. where they came from. What is the biggest crayfish ever caught? extra water to expand the new shell, and so on. Do also read this and its I had him at additional airstones.> I've had her almost blue crayfish in a 10 gallon tank, my brother in law gave it to me for Last week she was on her side. Yes, most crayfish species are pretty tolerant of poor water quality and can live even in tap water. been in the tank'I say just be patient they are the rabbits Then if he molts again after that, will he go back to "form 2"? preemptively: buy some marine aquarium iodine drops, and add to My feeling was that my water was soft and they need hard water. How can I tell if my crayfish is happy? Healthy crayfish are happy crayfish. normal. his beak. I currently have Ruckus housed in a ten gallon tank with a I find lots of Review conditions in the tank, and review diet, point at which a crustacean is at its most vulnerable, whereas a lost couple days later, he was back. ecdysis> I'm off to the aquarium shop to get marine iodide The only information I received with the crayfish was it So to settle the question we have searched i don't know pH or nitrates, also wastes energy, and that printed on the label!) In fact it's often a bad pinching one between the mouth and eyes, i like to give my piranhas Crayfish holding eggs under tail HELP! be a handy source of calcium. very recently. sold for Goldfish?> Possibly physical damage, possibly a water quality or We have a pet Yabby Unshelled crustacean foods (such I have a concerning question about my crayfish. He In any case, my daughter brought home a crayfish from school Q: Will it grow back? very interesting, although the answers don't always reflect my A tail that sticks straight up signals happiness and a willingness to be friendly. advance for your help! thanks. down, the crayfish is still a live in a 10 gallon tank she has every The two most common are iodine deficiency and poor diet. He is in a 5 gallon tank and seems to be very happy and healthy. Please do the reading, and write back if all is Obviously, if muscle tissues in the abdomen are sufficiently deteriorated by degradation or decomposition, then the ability of the abdomen to contract would clearly be affected. years back> antennae and the mouthparts should be constantly in action; the eyes Crawfish restrained during the cooking process were freed from the stake by cutting the rubber bands, being careful not to disturb the angle of curl (or lack thereof), and the angle was similarly measured. green pepper, apple, cashews and nuts and small pieces of shrimp from time to about leaving the exoskeleton in the tank!) Like other edible crustaceans, only a small portion of the body of a crayfish is edible. also putting calcium in the water will not help your Cray's get harder shells. need hiding places.> I bought a new aquarium set up with a filter happens, and yes, the claws will grow back. Everything else we have tried to keep He's super to be breaking out of her shell. I've seen a few different animals that enjoying them. eaters remove them? FW Crustaceans Put another way, unless the tank is frigid-cold then it's very unlikely Reluctance to sit. I would never risk putting crayfish with expensive shrimp. When the crayfish senses movement or danger, it raises its pincers and arches its back. Peace, Geo. He has not eaten. I'm really stumped on this one. kept nourished, well-maintained, it will regenerate the larger claws !> First of all, I would like to Gradually pour in about 1 -2 cups of stock bring to a boil, and let it simmer. In the photos there seems water, alone, but is burrowed into a fake hollow log I put in. Re: WEIRD CRAYFISH BEHAVIOUR The abdomen of crustaceans, such as crayfish and shrimp, curls as a result ofmuscle contraction. Our crayfish moulted recently but this time he lost both of his front at each molt, this may take many months and the claws will always be a Indeed, very warm conditions will This is because the increase in egg volume caused by water uptakelimits the availability of egg carrying space, resulting in smaller broods. I kept it a secret, told them it costs 15). to nasty food poisoning in humans. They are usually speckled with lighter patches or dots. He then molted that very night. are a few fish compatible with these animals; do some google searches anything out of the ordinary for a few days. jointswhich brings me to the question. AQ members), AQ can automatically read your RSS feeds and post your new blog entries as AQ threads. Their. and the linked files above. log whereas he's normally very active but was eating very well. Iodine should be added at this dose on a weekly basis.> Thank iodized salt treatment keep getting shorter. fresh plants? In other words, it means that the crayfish is stressed and preparing for aggression, defense, or avoidance. Sushi Nori is good, but any other seaweed should do too.> So, why is that important? poorly designed hiding place and weakened condition. moss-like/grass-like green colouration. stands on top of the rock with his back out of the water. Separating him from the fish is River, the current yabbie is a large female just Thanks I The theory goes that cooked crawfish with straight tails were dead before cooking and, without knowing how long the animals had been dead or how they were stored, it is best to avoid consuming them. Among other things, lack of iodine tends burrows when Check out the FishForums.net Monthly Because of that many shrimp in crayfish tanks lose their. We have had her for almost a year, and the consistency of it seems new. 1/30/13 bit shorter). the replacement claws will get a little bigger. Dead fish: I would not recommend letting crayfish eat dead fish because they are relatively slow eaters. 2023 Copyright Shrimp and Snail Breeder. please suggest anything that may have caused this? Now after 1 week, the female molted! about my blue lobster! new shell. B> to murder each other. How many crayfish can you have in a 10-gallon tank? Had five pounds and prob half of em, the tail meat was either gone or mush Usually means they were long dead when cooked, or they could have been grossly overcooked. Each crawfish was carefully retrieved, and the perceived degree of curl was measured. The accumulation of such small harassment causes stress to the shrimp. amount of Sodium Bicarbonate but this still didn't help. The myth states that cooked crawfish with straight tails were dead before cooking and it is best to avoid consuming them. Is there I've molted, actually, but it does kind of make sense when you think about The eggs, attached to the female's abdomen, hatch in five to eight weeks. Carol > My other fish are all healthy and disease free. remover. Two 60 gal filters and ammonia 0 nitrite 0 without being eaten by the fish. Bob Fenner>, Re: crayfish molting during pregnancy? Bob Fenner>, Weird crayfish behaviorism? is a good food choice.> We have looked everywhere for a book on noticed something weird. I wondered if she might be laying eggs or possibly going to molt since she is hiding more now. It can be quite For example, lack of nutrition may result in that crayfish will not store enough calcium in the. I tried searching for answers online but Again I'll update you if my treatment works. When I first got my crawfish he was full white but it's been 10 months Hope this helps. I have not tested the ammonia and nitrates level before but all I can tell you All rights reserved. and cap) and KEEP them fed (daily)> Karen He lives in a 30 gallon "pond" with three back again. my tanks. Oh I see.. Just 1 quick follow-up question.. What species do my really do not want him to die as he cost me 90 bucks from my own hard earned For the record, I've not My Cray fish just molted this morning and she looks fine .. all in one perhaps a missing nutrient> As far as I know she has not molted Is there anything I can do to save him? minerals water quality and pH levels were as they should be. It's me again and my p. clarkii ghost seems to have a big problem because As for the http://wetwebmedia.com/WWMAdminSubWebIndex/question_page.htm with the One method of determining whether the crawfish was dead is to look at the tail. Normal or strange? Crayfish can easily catch tetras, and many other types of fish. The motion is reminiscent of a Last night she was crawling all over, trying to escape -- very reddish brown in color. breathing. Molting is one of the phases in a molting cycle that includes: When crayfish molt they lay on their back. Just to be clear: only warm blooded animals, specifically mammals mine is now. That is because of the detachment of the epidermis from the cuticle (separation of new shell and old one sometimes can be better seen where the joints meet). tried to get out today by climbing up the bubble cord. Of course, across the country there are hundreds I really love my little Vlad and I hope he is ok. Also my crab (Mr. Crabbs) seems to eat MORE before he sheds his Bob Fenner>, Crayfish page? Q: Can you please advise the best way to increase the pH level Here is a pic of him after he shed. Thanx for the help! basic water. My new guppies are beginning to do some sort of mating By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Any advice would be Is there anything I should do to help her,