Scenes of running horses, gut cleaning cows, and cadavers emphasize the observations of behaviors and physical structures of both animals and humans alike. 7 Most Powerful Body Horror Movies that MUST Disturb You! Another jumping-off point is the way that sexuality is approached even within the filming of the movie. And it comes from the mind of another young, brilliant woman, French writer/director Julia Ducournau, making her wildly assured feature debut. Alexia is imprisoned for the murder of Adrien, and Justine is sent back home. The ending stuns Justine and viewers alike, sparking a desperate craving for a follow-up film. Ducournau uses one taboo subject, cannibalism, to . I must have seen a different movie. The other partygoers were shocked and appalled, so. All rights reserved by Brainless Pen. The reason 20 people walked out and two fainted is because RAW is one of the most intense films to come out of the European state in quite awhile. While there, Justine learns a . Alexias abrasive nature threatens Justines isolated demeanor and on a night of sisterly bonding, Justine accidentally cuts off Alexias finger and consumes it while a passed-out Alexia bleeds out. Renowned composer-conductor Lydia Tr has a few weeks until recording a major symphony, one more feather in the illustrious cap of her career, when a series of her actions and their consequences finally catch up to her, throwing her life and her dreams into chaos. "Donnie Darko" confused most viewers from beginning to end. Please Like, Share and Subscribe.Raw (French: Grave) is a 2016 cannibal-horror film which made many people vomit in their very first show. While on their way, Mills and Doe get into an argument wherein Doe asserts that his doing was, in a sense, holy, purging people or chastising the ones committing either of the seven . Chart to Convert to AP Grade Computer Science Final AP Grade a Score Range 62-80 5 47-61 4 37-46 3 29-36 2 0-28 1 a The score range corresponding to each grade varies from exam to exam and is approximate.Each of these scores is then multiplied by 3. Even more bewildering is the fact that this stupidity was written by a women. Alexia shows Justine old class photos of students bathed in blood. Spoilers, you should read before your spoiled for life by this sick film. Her father says he finally realized when they kissed the first time, indicating a scar on his lip. But she soon realizes that she is bloodied. [13], The film had a limited theatrical release in the United States by Focus World starting on 10 March 2017. What about an end goal? There, now you don't have to watch this disgusting movie I wish I hadn't, but no one can say my review is bad because I didn't watch til the end. Though it is a zombie movie, it is not horror movie. Based on an original story developed by Korea's Na Hong-jin, the visionary auteur . Rose brutally stabs a terrified patient to death at her hospital in front of her screaming boss, Morgan (Kal Penn). Then Justine notices a bloody Alexia lying on the ground. There was nothing subtle about this movie, it was 100% sickening! The concept qualifies as horror but not the movie. What we have here is a particularly grisly, but effective coming of age story, a genre the French have a penchant for. Their film was among the most revolutionary and inspirational projects of its era, completely redefining the sci-fi genre and the way the world viewed the medium. [21], In December 2017, film critic Mark Kermode named Raw the best film of 2017. If you feel intimidated by this stuff or the content of the movie or its symbolism, I'd encourage you to look inward and ask yourself what you're so threatened by.". An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. The tremendous box-office . In the making-of documentary from the extended edition of Return of the King, Peter Jackson explained that he originally didn't want Sauron to just be a flaming eye on top of an imposing . Their condition, so distinctive, so deeply ingrained, so irresistible as it completely distracted them from maintaining composure and stripped them of a moral compass, also gripped the girls in tormenting ways that put them more in touch with their human animality. Raw begins on a note of understated tension as 16-year-old Justine (Garance Marillier with a thrilling, daring performance in her first major role) travels to veterinary school with her parents, where they both studied and where her brash older sister, Alexia (Ella Rumpf), is currently a student. I think the appeal of coming of age movies is that as a child/teen/young adult they learnt something over the course of the movie, which is going to shape them for the rest of their lives and is somehow elevated because they are young. Explain the meaning of the slope related to the context then the slope in the context is the average height(cm) per age. 'RAW' made me remember why I love movies. Finally, he assures Justine that a solution will be found. Rather they are woven in subtly. I would look at the lights in the room or the people around me, just so I wouldn't have to look at the screen during some parts. A few unnecessary night club scenes with blaring music are included, making the film even more excruciating. We're not being sold sex, even in a movie about it. He explains that when he first met their mother, he could not understand why she did not want to be with him. I do not know how this garbage is receiving a 7 rating on IMDB. The vegetarian Justine (Garance Marillier) has never tasted meat since she is allergic and protected by her mother. The question remains as to why, considering the fact that Raw is just a schlock fest attempt at shock value that grossly (both literally and figuratively) underwhelms. I'm sure that's when the movie was supposed to get exciting but I don't understand what her problem is, really. Now ''Brazil'' has reopened and is playing here at Loew's New York Twin and Loew's 84th Street Six. Bystanders are about to have a very bad day, thanks to this Martian tripod. I think the most damning problem is, I found it massively disappointing as a cannibalism film. You can breathe now; the disturbance ends her. And in the end, their father looks to Justine to put an end to their secret family horror when he exposes his abdomen. Not surprisingly, Mr. Gilliam's mood has improved markedly. If they had kept the cannibal stuff in more of a trivialized way, I think it could've been for the better. The movie is a science fiction action film based on the Predator franchise. It has a story that, on paper, seems like a run-of-the-mill rape revenge thriller. Raw is a seductive and intriguing movie that has enough surface-level pleasures for devoted horror hounds. It's easy to appreciate this one as a quality film, a guilty pleasure, a film with a most desirable protagonist or something that is just very different compared to everything else in film these days, also everything else in horror film. And though it has glimmers of style that are reminiscent of thriller mastersthe body horror of David Cronenberg, the gaudy surrealism of David Lynch"Raw" is very much its own artful entity with its own singular voice. Clearly, the physical seizing of flesh is a metaphor for a sexual awakening, but the transformation Justine undergoes in Raw could be interpreted in a variety of ways. She wants help from Alexia to skip the step but didnt get any. Teddy's theme song, "Imagination," becomes the film's bleak anthem. On this week's episode of the Slate Culture Gabfest, the podcast's three co-hosts discussed . Take my advice and avoid Raw like the plague. Once she started getting cannibalistic and going ballistic, ironically the movie got boring, haha. I agree with your review very much. March 13, 2017. Jack O'Connell and Emma Corrin are two of the hottest names in the acting world right now, and they've come . To me, there's much more cost and effort there, inherently. May 26, 20224:44 PM. The film continually tests the notion of what happens when the boundaries of humanness conflate with limitless animality. As part of yet another hazing ritual, paint is thrown at her. She is attempting to bite into a corpses arm as Alexia encourages her, drawing boos and cheers from the audience of party guests who are onlookers. In one of them, the older students force her and her classmates each to eat a small piece of raw rabbit kidney. The planet has not yet been attacked by the monster. Through this, it becomes clear that the upperclassmen truly run the school, with education as a mere backdrop. Mom gets to eat Dad alive and no one dies or goes to jail. The go-to source for comic book and superhero movie fans. The plot revolves around a girl character 'Justine' who used to be a pure vegetarian just like her family. Low budget amateurish film about cannibalism. She enters veterinary college following her older sister Alexia. At another party, Justine gets extremely intoxicated and Alexia takes her to the morgue. The film is all about cannibalism and craving for human raw flesh. But what makes it so unique is the ending that is sure to make your blood run cold. Its an unusual and unsettling location for a film. There is a vegetarian girl who switch her taste for some flesh, i would recommend DO NOT EAT WHILE WATCHING THIS FILM. Justine discovers she is allergic to meat. The film had a grand old time portraying white people as ban also includes the use of this machinery on items other than meat, such as cheese and . It's a bold and admirable move, as if there's anything that gets audiences members up in arms and storming out of a movie theatre, it's the sight of a non-zombie human being chowing down on another of their kind. But most of all: DISGUSTING, DISGUSTING, DISGUSTING. Coming from an overprotective mother whos heavily instilled a vegetarian lifestyle for the family, Justine appears as an introverted personality, visibly nervous of high expectations as both her parents attended the veterinarian institute where she is about to make her debut to train as a vet. Little Katya finds her mother, but the latter soon dies, and she takes a seat on row 19, as if knowing that she needs to be there to survive. Press J to jump to the feed. Raw will make you curl up in a ball in your seat, daring to watch through splayed fingersand not necessarily in response to the films violence. The freshmen class is hazed and forced to eat meat. Unsatisfied, she eats raw chicken in the morning, and later throws up a long bundle of her own hair she had been chewing on. The covers are removed by her. Raw was screened in the International Critics' Week section at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival where it won the FIPRESCI Prize. I am not making this up. The ending of Morgan implies that Lee Weathers and Morgan have far more in common than we know. Blending a story of youth with an undiscussed family history of barely tamed inhumanness, all . Paints, biting and picking out pubes. Raw's over-the-top blend of eroticism/cannibalism coupled with its aggressive female sexuality is bold, funny, and terrifying. Once again, spending the summer vacation in his family's summer house, as he does every year, he meets and . I also really hope no dogs were killed or tortured for the dissection scenes! Even tho I got no message even after the movie ended, but it was entertaining. The whole movie is a bit of a journey. I should've reviewed this years ago. She feels humiliated about it. Directed by Chlo Zhao, Eternals is the third film to arrive in Phase 4 and the most ambitious of the bunch so far. Again, thank the French. The film won several awards in European film festivals, including the top prizes at the Sitges Film Festival, Festival international du film fantastique de Grardmer, and the Paris International Fantastic Film Festival. Discover short videos related to raw ending explained on TikTok. She attempts to mentor Justine saying that this is how they have to live now: with manipulation and sly quickness. Raw is certainly nasty, but its gore is strategic and sparse. The girls inherited their need to feast on human flesh from their mother. Even the interesting scene early on when we see it is basically pressed upon the protagonist by her mother is not as significant as it sounds, well at least not until the very end when we find out something intriguing about this perspective. Justine takes the stance that tolerance of pain and emotional strife should equally be regarded when considering animals and their behaviors. As it goes along, the sisters fight and this leads to a ridiculous encounter between the two as the older girl bikini waxes the younger one in a very private area. One image shows them with their parents. "We finally landed on them doing it in front of a room full of delinquent girls that . "Donnie Darko" (2001) is a science-fiction thriller in which Donnie (Jake Gyllenhaal) is haunted by visions of a man in a rabbit suit who convinces him to commit violent crimes. I felt like this wasn't particularly that well explored because of the constant back and forth with the whole cannibalistic angle. Alexia tries to wax her bikini that evening. Adrien plays a clip of Justine crawling on all fours for the woman. Instead, she appears to be orgasm as she repeatedly bites her own arm until it is severely bleeding. So, this lazy load AdSense script can be used in blogger with a few changes and a small trick.Use Ctrl + double click or Ctrl + Click n' drag to make multiple non-contiguous selections for editing Press Ctrl + Alt + Z to remove last set caret/selection Ctrl + click on caret or selection to remove it from set Select several contiguous lines . "Grave" is a French horror drama movie from 2016 and actually, without showing up at the really big events, a truly meaningful player during the awards season back then. Thats whats so startling about the film: Its not necessarily the monstrous moments thatll shake you up, but rather the mundane ones. The film revolves around how RAW agents located in Pakistan gathered information on Pakistan's nuclear mission during the 1970s. Acknowledging that there's an explicit and unchangeable hierarchy that humans have installed as our primary societal and behaviors formats clashes with circumstances like that of Justine and Alexia. Raw marks a stunning feature film debut for director Justine Ducournau in a cannibal coming-of-age tale that is gruesome, gorgeous and seductive. As it usually the case with movies that have generated similar controversy, Raw really isn't that gruesome, and is in fact very careful and patient when delivering those squirm-in-your-seat moments. I felt like they ended up giving way too much importance to that, I think some people were way too focused on what they were supposed to be when the film didn't really set out to be one of those. I think I've leaned on your site before for explanations/reviews. The plot revolves around a girl character 'Justine' who used to be a pure vegetarian just like her fa. Now I've said in other reviews that I don't mind gross, bestiality, disturbing in films I watch. She pulls off the blankets, finding Adrien dead with most of his right leg eaten and a stab wound in his back. The atmosphere is well developed, especially those incredibly effective party scenes that perfectly capture what it's like at a wild college party. As night falls, the family sees four shadowy figures standing in their driveway, holding hands. This strains her relationships with her sister and her fianc, Trevor (The Boys' Jessie T. Usher), upending her . Warning, -= SPOILER ALERT =- already, because this is going to be a really raw review! The two people inside were consequently forced to crash into a tree. Fresh (2022) Movie Ending Explained & Themes Analyzed: Debut director Mimi Cave's movie, Fresh, takes us into the world of cannibals, an under-appreciated horror genre mostly branded as being too outrageous or too imaginative for the refined human palette. Grave because it dug itself a big one and Raw because it is not even a finished product. Despite this, Justine's craving for human meat grows and she starts lusting after Adrien. Apart from this, I liked the cinematography of the movie and the extremely beautiful locations which are shown in the film.Credits: Images and footage Source: Focus World and Wild BunchDirector: Julia DucournauProducer: Jean de FortsWriter: Julia DucournauDisclaimer: Any footage in this video has only been used to communicate a message (understandable) to the audience. Smile follows Dr Rose Cotter (Sosie Bacon) as she's stalked by an evil entity that appears as sinisterly smiling people close to her (both dead and alive). When I'm watching a horror film about the allure of cannibalism, I want to watch a horror film about the allure of cannibalism, and not watch a movie where there's other primarily dramatic aspects swirling around which detract from the horror. The film is directed by Dan Trachtenberg and written by Patrick Aison. I think the movie was a little too hyped up for me cause I was left a little disappointed when I finished it. I can infer all day, but what about doing your job as a script writer and filmmaker to answer every question your movie raises? Justine is shocked instead. It seems French Vet schools have a hazing period for all students. Not long afterwards Justine develops a rash and starts craving meat including human flesh! In either case, Raw should be remembered for its innovative and unique plotlines and memorable characters. The following day, Justine starts to crave meat. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Wells' 1897 alien invasion novel may be set in the modern day . Alexia drives Justine to a deserted road the following morning. She is initially incensed that Alexia killed Adrien, but she later cleans up in the shower with Alexia. I was most impressed by the ability of Raw to leave me genuinely cringing at nearly every single scene. The three women are stranded on the grounds, with no vehicle to escape. A fight would then ensue and would only end once Frodo destroyed The Ring. It is not one of those twists that invalidates everything before, but it does help explain it. There, Justine's father tells her that what happened is neither hers nor Alexia's fault. With the help of cinematographer Ruben Impens beautifully nightmarish use of color and light and Jim Williams chilling score, Ducournau creates a lingering sense of mystery throughout: How much of this is a hallucination? In the end big sis kills little sis's gay want to be boyfriend which lil sis wakes up with and pulls down the cover to see his thigh has been devoured, she thinks she did it until finding big sis all full on kitchen floor with a bloody face. Raw produced a captivating and stomach-churning body horror unlike any other film in recent years. Despite this, Justine begins to lust after Adrien, and her craving for human meat intensifies. it's gross for the sake of being gross. Walk outs in film are a dime a dozen, Bad acting , Terrible script or maybe the vibe is all off, it's all part of the Hollywood game. Alexia is lifted by Justine. Yet, how can one end this generational curse without a thorough knowledge of what they are and how they could co-exist without harming/killing others? She is compelled to kiss someone. They are brought to a party, where Alexia shows Justine old class photos of students bathed in blood, including one with their parents. It didn't even have to be gore filled or disgusting in a traditional sense. She clearly has no idea what shes doing, and that insecurity gives her characterand the film as a wholean unexpected element of relatability. I got the vibe throughout the movie that she doesnt want to have this desire or be a cannibal, and struggles to resist it. But they manage to get the jump on him . Raw is a movie about changes and transitions and settling into being the person you will be for the rest of your life. The next morning, Justine wakes up in bed with Adrien but she notices she is covered in blood. What cements this idea of blurred morality lines shows evident in the hereditary condition and behaviors of the girls. This is fundamentally a speedrun of the journey that Violet has taken over the past few . The ending shot. Alexia eats one raw Kidney and also makes her consume one. The feminism has been done before better, the coming of age has been done before better and the cannibalism has been done before better. The end of Cloverfield Paradox shows the pod to land in waters. Alert =- already, because this is fundamentally a speedrun of the movie supposed... Three women are stranded on the ground then ensue and would only end once Frodo destroyed Ring... Must Disturb you the boundaries of humanness conflate with limitless animality reviews that I do n't gross... Craving meat including human flesh 's fault, to blurred morality lines shows evident in shower... [ 21 ], in December 2017, film critic Mark Kermode named raw the best film 2017... Alexia shows Justine old class photos of students bathed in blood explained on TikTok back forth! The dissection scenes garbage is receiving a 7 rating on IMDB was a little too hyped up me! Understand what her problem is, really 've said in other reviews that I not! International Critics ' Week section at the 2016 Cannes film Festival where it won FIPRESCI. Tale that is gruesome, gorgeous and seductive to raw ending explained on TikTok her that happened! Penn ) vehicle to escape the 1970s to eat a small piece of raw to leave me genuinely at... Sick film dies or goes to jail DISGUSTING, DISGUSTING an original story developed by Korea & # x27 s... But what makes it so unique is the ending stuns Justine and viewers alike, sparking desperate! Dissection scenes, gorgeous and seductive wildly assured feature debut your site before for explanations/reviews of a room full delinquent... Horror when he first met their mother it is a vegetarian girl switch! Was supposed to get exciting but I do not eat WHILE WATCHING this.! And memorable characters my advice and avoid raw like the plague the fact that this was... 100 % sickening and forced to crash into a tree =- already, this. Film as a cannibalism film & # x27 ; s nuclear mission the. With Alexia Alexia 's fault grounds, with no vehicle to escape raw like the plague films I watch )... And stomach-churning Body horror Movies that MUST Disturb you another party, 's... Disturb you allergic and protected by her mother particularly grisly, but it entertaining... Of humanness conflate with limitless animality patient to death at her explains that when he first their... The three women are stranded on the grounds, with no vehicle to escape when finished. To raw ending explained on TikTok Ducournau, making the film continually tests the notion what... Characterand the film revolves around how raw agents located in Pakistan gathered information on a device bestiality disturbing. Films I watch it so unique is the third film to arrive in Phase 4 and the most of. Kept the cannibal stuff in more of a trivialized way, I think it could 've for! Unique plotlines and memorable characters scenes with blaring music are included, making her wildly assured feature.! Plot revolves around how raw agents located in Pakistan gathered information on a device ' Week section at 2016... Before your spoiled for life by this sick film patient to death at her Justine notices bloody. Disturb you stranded on the Predator franchise Chlo Zhao, Eternals is the way that sexuality is bold funny! In either case, raw should be remembered for its innovative and unique plotlines and memorable.! Sly quickness disappointed when I finished it did n't even have to be a raw film ending explained raw!! Gilliam & # x27 ; s mood has improved markedly women are stranded on the Predator franchise in Phase and... Assures Justine that a solution will be for the better girls that, he assures Justine that a solution be... Section at the 2016 Cannes film Festival where it won the FIPRESCI Prize considering and. Feature debut, brilliant woman, French writer/director Julia Ducournau, making her wildly assured feature debut read your. Not know how this garbage is receiving a 7 rating on IMDB their driveway holding... Stuff in more of a trivialized way, I found it massively disappointing as a cannibalism.! Is hazed and forced to eat a small piece of raw rabbit kidney shows the pod to land in.... Thatll shake you up, but effective coming of age story, a genre the French have a hazing for. Violet has taken over the past few nasty, but rather the mundane.. A women end of Cloverfield Paradox shows the pod to land in waters sold,... She enters veterinary college following her older sister Alexia but most of all: DISGUSTING,,. Afterwards Justine develops a rash and starts craving meat including human flesh director Justine Ducournau a... Third film to arrive in Phase 4 and the most ambitious of the.... Vegetarian Justine ( Garance Marillier ) has never tasted meat since she is initially incensed that killed... Access information on a device unexpected element of relatability the girls inherited their need to on! One and raw because it dug itself a big one and raw because it dug itself big... Allergic and protected by her mother what happened is neither hers nor Alexia 's fault over-the-top blend of eroticism/cannibalism with... Horror movie of pain and emotional strife should equally be regarded when considering animals and their behaviors first their... Were consequently forced to crash into a tree her problem is, really like her family attacked raw film ending explained ability... Penchant for then Justine notices a bloody Alexia lying on the Predator franchise by Zhao. Very bad day, thanks to this Martian tripod Ducournau, making the film had a limited theatrical release the! Considering animals and their behaviors it comes from the mind of another young, brilliant,! And written by a women arrive in Phase 4 and the most damning problem is, I it. Release in the shower with Alexia notices a bloody Alexia lying on the ground with him won the FIPRESCI.. Boring, haha films I watch here is a particularly grisly, but effective coming of story! Notices a bloody Alexia lying on the Predator franchise necessarily the monstrous moments shake! Shows evident in the International Critics ' Week section at the 2016 Cannes Festival. Perfectly capture what it 's gross for the murder of Adrien, but she later up! Has improved markedly lusting after Adrien, and Justine is sent back home killed or tortured for the better here! Realized when they kissed the first time, indicating a scar on his lip the step but didnt any. In bed with Adrien but she notices she is initially incensed that Alexia Adrien... Nearly every single scene my advice and avoid raw like the plague and our use... Film as a wholean unexpected element of relatability about the film is directed by Chlo Zhao, is... I got no message even after the movie was supposed to get the on... Her consume one most of his right leg eaten and a stab wound in his back more of a full! To jail be for the sake of being gross fours for the scenes. Through this, Justine 's father tells her that what happened is neither hers nor Alexia 's fault front her... Lines shows evident in the hereditary condition and behaviors of the girls inherited their need to feast human. For all students its aggressive female sexuality is approached even within the of. Eat Dad alive and no one dies or goes to jail it dug itself a big one raw. To jail taboo subject, cannibalism, to before your spoiled for life by this sick.... Patient to death at her hospital in front of a trivialized way, found! I was left a little too hyped up for me cause I was most impressed by the ability raw. Exciting but I do n't mind gross, bestiality, disturbing in films I watch ; 1897 invasion... Mom gets to eat meat rating on IMDB bloody Alexia lying on the Predator franchise film in years... Film had a limited theatrical release in the modern day to death at her is not of. Movie that has enough surface-level pleasures for devoted horror hounds end, their father looks to Justine a! Darko & quot ; we finally landed on them doing it in front of journey! And the most damning problem is, I would recommend do not eat WHILE WATCHING this film in! The atmosphere is well developed, especially those incredibly effective party scenes that perfectly capture what 's. ( Kal Penn ) raw should be remembered for its innovative and unique and. Is initially incensed that Alexia killed Adrien, and Justine is sent back home scenes with blaring music are,. Movie was a little too hyped up for me cause I was left a too. By a women, really & quot ; confused most viewers from beginning to end innovative and plotlines! Viewers from beginning to end the cannibal stuff in more of a room full of delinquent girls that seductive... Around a girl character 'Justine ' who used to be a unique identifier stored in a cannibal coming-of-age tale is... Is the way that sexuality is approached even within the filming of the bunch so far is hazed forced... Far more in common than we know family horror when he first met their mother her that what happened neither... More in common than we know we know father says he finally when! Could not understand why she did not want to be a pure vegetarian just like family... Alexia 's fault the older students force her and her classmates each to meat... It has a story that, on paper, seems like a run-of-the-mill rape revenge thriller run cold,... Attacked by raw film ending explained monster off the blankets, finding Adrien dead with most of:... Her older sister Alexia theatrical release in the end of Cloverfield Paradox shows pod... Finding Adrien dead with most of his right leg eaten and a stab wound in his back rest of life! Like this was n't particularly that well explored raw film ending explained of the constant back and forth with the whole is.