But it wasn't an obsession with the series that fueled his theft: he intended to resell the discs to fuel a heroin addiction. Lord Grantham hated scandal: that much was obvious on Downton Abbey. If not, since I live in Richmond, you can always borrow it. 0 2 Less than a minute. Melissa, Debbie Walker pointed me to the plan of the ground floor. I would find it so interesting to see one with labels for whos bedroom is whos according to the show and also how the servants quarters in the attics and the kitchens, servants hall etc. Downton Abbey, season 1: 1912-1914. Just be aware that I am terrible with directions. BUT ONE DAY SOON it will be a cozy, intimate, moody room where we cuddle to watch TV and take afternoon naps. While many of the iconic rooms in the fictitious Downton Abbey - bedrooms, drawing room, stairs, and gallery landing - are really rooms at Highclere (including the furniture), Lady Carnarvon notes that the kitchen at Highclere had been updated, so staff quarters on the lower floor are filmed on a studio set. You will see some of the bedrooms after which you will follow the stairs down to the cellars and old staff quarters where you will find the Egyptian Exhibition, celebrating the 5 th Earl of Carnarvon's . But first, let me walk you through the room's history. Fortunately, for these things, there is eBay. As viewers of Downton Abbey, we think we have gotten to know Highclere Castle and its setting well. Throughout the course of Downton's six seasons, fans eagerly followed the story of the aristocratic Grantham family, as well as the lives of the staff who served them in their large and . I don't think OP is referring to wide doors. Then Lord Grantham comes down the main stairs and turns left, which takes him directly into the Dining room. Your comments and suggestions are most welcome. Dame Maggie Smith, who portrayed the Dowager, as well as Penelope Wilton, who portrayed Isobel Crawley, once complained about all that cake. "The real downstairs at Highclere is very modernized; the downstairs you see on the show is on a soundstage," she told Marie Claire. The two were quiet about their romance, but Dockery eventually let it slip that they she and the Irishman were engaged. "His father was killed in the First World War when he was just 2 years old, she said to the Royal Gazette. Im Cyrus T. Wannamaker from Chicago and I guess Ive made enough in the cattle stockyard game to buy just about any of these little old castles I want!. "We get the same bit of fruit cake every time we have tea together," Wilton said to Metro. Downton Abbey is inexplicably situated in distant Yorkshire (probably to avoid having to weave London life into the tale). The 1920's seemed in retrospect an era of glamour and daring, un-chaperoned parties, treasure hunts in cars, exciting meetings in smoky nightclubs, and of course opportunities for flirtations and liaisons at weekend house parties. And it was the same frozen piece of salmon that got served at every single meal. I think OP is asking about the two doors going from the bedroom into the hall. I remember more of Halfway and school at Stockcross, after having a scalding accident which prevented an even worse catastophe, being the sinking of an evacuee ship en route to Canada by German Uboats. Sir Barry remodelled Highclere Castle for the third earl of Carnarvon from 1839 to 1842. The publisher will have access to the data you enter: Lady Mary got herself in a bit of a tricky situation with the very handsome Mr. Pamuk. Can you tell me why there are 2 doors to each bedroom? Guests . Vic, many thanks for this great post. So that was my own fault. I didnt have any say in the manner in which he went," he told Radio Times. I appreciate your offer. For more information, please see our Plus, it was the theme for Anna and Bates, a couple that made it out of Downton alive, but had to deal with a lot of . What a lovely blog site. Not that I know of, Joe. The actor who portrays him, Brendan Coyle, also has his share of issues. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. I was intrigued by your entry about the various people who have stayed at Highclere, in particular, Elvira de la Fuenta, the double agent from the Second World War. Privacy Policy. Hello, my name is Vic and I live in Maryland, USA. Lady Carnarvon is the real countess of Highclere Castle, Downton's setting. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me and my team. Not all the rooms are currently in use, and a number, such as the music room, are available to be rented as conference rooms. Anyway, LOVE this post with the floor plan! I was in touch with David Rymill a year or so ago as I was evacuated at Highclere during the war until we were housed with a family in Halfway Cottages near Stockcross. 10 things you might not know about Blenheim Palace - the 'real Downton Abbey' 8 historical TV shows that have tourists flocking to Britain; We also know that servant mealtimes were pivotal to the timing of the whole day, and changed only slowly through the 19th century. 20 Secrets Behind Downton Abbey You Had No Idea About, How I Met Your Mother Stars Hold Mini-Reunion In New Image, Disneys Double Show Cancellation Hints At Big Disney+ Changes, Wesley Crusher Is Now A Big Star Trek Picard Season 3 Question. Ive fixed the problem. March 5, 2016 by Linda Merrill. How blessed I am to have such a wonderful husband to treat me so. There are some bizarre coincidences, Lady Carnarvon said. Today we tend to use 14 or 15 bedrooms, and some of the other rooms are used for archives and storage. As well as this two side tables sit beside the bed that are decorated carefully with bedside lamps, picture frames and the odd trinket box. Although Downton Abbey officially shut its doors in 2015, the British period drama still manages to capture the attention of fans all over the world, some who are just discovering the series for the first time. No, I wont spoil it. Although many of the beautiful dresses and suits worn by the Grantham and Crawley families were custom-made, some actually came from other television shows and movies. Here are a few choice details: The Castle's Saloon, which is triple-height to a 50 ceiling, is the Victorian equivalent of a home theater. Leave it in the comments! The bedroom of Lady Edith is furnished with a double bed and chairs covered in a peach coloured fabric to match the colour of the room's walls. Ellie got a little too rambunctious on set and very nearly broke a vase referred to as "priceless." Sir Barry remodelled Highclere Castle for the third earl of Carnarvon from 1839 to 1842. My wonderful husband has surprised me with a visit to Highclere Castle on the 19th of October to celebrate my 70th birthday. That means that vintage corsets are very uncomfortable, but necessary for a production such as Downton Abbey. In season three, though, Ellie got replaced as Isis by another female, Abbey. "You just clicked over with a dial, and [the light in the servants' area] went from white to red," production designer Donal Woods said to Buzzfeed. Although no official statement about Bonneville and the nightworker was ever made, the gossip circles still pin him as the person who sought the injunction. My guess is that certain scenes have to be re-flimed for one reason or another and they use an alternate location. However, a different kind of disaster struck than the one Tom Branson (Allen Leech) personally prevents in the film; the same night the . Downton Abbey Double Bedroom Doors. Topics include Regency fashion, historic foods, Jane Austen societies, British sites, related topics. To have bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms I probably would have had to earn at least three or four times my wage as a teacher. The term Jacobethan refers to the Victorian revival of English architecture of the late 16th century and early 17th century, whenTudor architecturewas being challenged by newly arrivedRenaissanceinfluences. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Click here to find out more about Friends at Highclere. Both canines followed him around everywhere and one even appears in the opening intro sequence to the series. The series' writers left no emotion unexplored during its run and fans gobbled up all the elation and joy, as well as the pain and loss. After several episodes that left viewers wondering what Thomas was up to behind closed doors and what was . Filming the series finale for Downton Abbey was surely an emotional one for both the cast and crew, but there was one location that just didn't care about any of that and decided to kick them all out quickly while they were filming the show's final scene. We'll own up to our mistakes and will make the corrections with a polite smile on our faces.) This plan is of the first floor, not ground floor, and you can see the bedrooms, dressing rooms, and sitting rooms ringing the gallery. 7. Noting that their family home was not for sale, the Carnarvons turned him down. Thank you so much for this it is SO helpful as a resource and for pure interests sake. I remember being sent out there as an evacuee with my younger sister Diane, there were quite a few of us, we stayed there still we were billeted out to local families , I went to stay with the Estate gamekeeper who lived in a gatehouse with a small garden, I remember enjoying the harvest day when the corn was cut and helping stack the sheafs , it used to be cut in a circle and the men bought their guns to shoot the rabbits that burst out from the middle. Architectural design for the tower of Downton Abbey by Sir Charles Barry, 1842. the only difference is the layout of the main staircase & the fact that, on the color plan, there is no central roomjust the arcade that looks down into the central hall on the ground floor. After Anna finds out about this, Mr. Bates is arrested for his previous wife's demise. A Highclere Castle tour is now a very popular and fascinating experience for fans of history and of the Downton Abbey TV series and film. I think it has more to do to Andrew Lloyd Webers desire to hang his art collection somewhere. Downton Abbey bursts with class tension, swooning romance, and a whole lot of intrigue. Vic I just wanted to say thanks for adding the newer photos to this article. The new Downton Abbey film, Downton Abbey: A New Era, is exactly what fans of the series have grown to love (and expect). He was heartbroken (along with viewers) when Isis passed away. He wound up fighting as a British officer in the war for American Independence, and was wounded and captured as an American prisoner of war. ''I will look at it when it's all over, maybe, because it's frustrating - I always see things that I would like to do differently, and think 'why in the name of God did I do that?'" Focus Features. Highclere Castle / h a k l r / is a Grade I listed country house built in 1679 and largely renovated in the 1840s, with a park designed by Capability Brown in the 18th century. Have bookmarked the page. Thanks so much for those plans! Well, I do! Is a more legible set of floor plans available for Highclere Castle? Although the bells on the wall in the downstairs area of the Abbey are not historically accurate, it was still important to the crew to get other aspects of life in the early 1900s as exact as possible. and our The doors to Downton will be opening again in Downton Abbey: A New Era, set to debut . In November the 5th season will be on tv in Holland and I have the intention to watch again! So, here we are just about to view the final episode (here in the States) of Downton Abbey . $90," production designer Donal Woods said to Buzzfeed. We may receive books (physical or digitized) and DVDs for review purposes. The actors often took days to film a scene, and it was quite a feat to keep the food looking fresh and to maintain continuity in both the drinking glasses and on the plates. Highclere Castle after renovation. Sorry I meant to say Dining room to your right. Highclere Castle later opened its doors to paying visitors and hired out its grand rooms and gardens for several television and film productions, including Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut (1999). His mother was left alone to bring him up, with not a small amount of interference from all the snobbish aunts.. Click on this link. One of the most hearbreaking scenes on television came with the Christmas episode of 2012. According to the Highclere Castle guidebook, its actually a little boy! But the Ritz decided that enough was enough when the series filmed its final scene, perhaps having the ballroom reserved for something else. I think it is across the entrance hall from the library at the front of the house. I wonder which gatehouse it was? This is what the room looked like when we . Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jane Austen's World with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Mr. Bates went through hell and back during the war, which left him unable to walk without a cane. Even beyond senior-appealing films, "Downton Abbey: A New Era" had a higher . Living in the United States we just dont have that sort of history that you have in Britain. (living room), 2nd floor = 1st floor Lady Mary is in the hospital, having just had her baby. Highclere Castle is the beautiful country house of the Earl of Carnarvon and is located in Hampshire, England. I wonder if that was standard practice at the time, and one had to be prepared at all times to be interrupted and still appear presentable. I am a proud lifetime member of the Jane Austen Society of North America. You might think there is never such a thing as too much cake, but may be wrong. Not to mention those 5,000-year-old antiquities from Egypt., The haunted house of American Horror Story, Top photo: The library in Highchere Castle. The thick wires and cables snaking everywhere, the cameras, the trollies, the white vans obscuring the drives and the dust that collects as a result. Her advice to anyone whos thinking of letting their own home become an onscreen one? This one depicted below sits on the Highclere Castle website and is a bit hard to read. Focus Features is pushing the North American release of "Downton Abbey 2" from Dec. 22, 2021, to March 18, 2022. There are 15th century Italian embroideries in the Music Room, and 18th century silk bed hangings, and 400 years worth of European and English paintings and furniture throughout the castle. Love your blog!! I, too, would love to know the actual real. But he still tried to drive home from the airport, but got caught driving while under the influence. Although such bells were used before World War I, most homes replaced them with electric lights after the war, which coincides with the time of Downton's first season. I live in a 1930s house in Wimbledon. But the surprise I actually jumped up and screamed was not listed, so that really was a surprise for me. 2. Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Downton Abbey Posts on Jane Austens World, The Life & Legacy of Enslaved Virginian Emily Winfree, a review by Vic Sanborn, Highclere Castle Floor Plan: The Real Downton Abbey, The Jane Austen Connection to Downton Abbey and Egypt, Conference room plans for Highclere Castle, Perspective of a garden by Sir Charles Barry, Highclere Castle: The Making of Downton Abbey. and I think it has . The politician Alfred Duff Cooper and Lady Diana Cooper stayed, as well as handsome racehorse trainers (renowned for their charm), Malcom Sargeant, Prince Ali Khan, producers from Hollywood and actresses of the time. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. It's one of the most well-known parts of the downstairs part of the Downton set, but there's something inherently wrong with it: it's historically inaccurate. Thanks for sharing. The programme reveals that one London employer went through 34 maids in 32 years . Cherrycot? But that wasn't the worst part: in the next episode, Mr. Green returns to Downton and places the blame on Anna, saying that they were both drunk. I love it. He spent 16 working on various concessions in Egypt, 12 with Howard Carter, and probably had the finest collection of Egyptian antiquities ever to be held privately, said Lady Carnarvon, referring to the archaeologist credited as the primary discoverer of Tutankhamuns tomb. While it wrapped up many of the plotlines that had been introduced in the show, the Downton Abbey film left the door open for a sequel. But the actress behind Mary, Michelle Dockery, also suffered from a similar loss: in 2015, her fianc, John Dineen, succumbed to cancer at the age of 34. I am such a fan and this was my dream. British listed buildings: Highclere Castle, Kingham Farm, East Woodhay, Historical Ownership, Highclere Estate, What its like to live at the Real Downton Abbey, Downton Abbey: 10 Facts about the shows real castle, http://www.conferences-uk.org.uk/floor_plans.asp?id=2249&hotel_name=Highclere_Ca, Downton Abbey: Team Batanna Got My Reservations, http://www.flickr.com/photos/77374642@N08/6782378912/in/set-72157629086737330, http://www.houselogic.com/home-advice/saving-energy/downton-abbey-energy-makeover/, Follow Jane Austen's World on WordPress.com, Praying With Jane: 31 Days Through the Prayers of Jane Austen. They are: Click on their names to enter their own blogs. Saloon seating space Picture by Paul Hilton , These days the music room is available as a conference room.*. He also spent time in prison for theft, taking the fall for his wife at the time. Downton Abbey is missing one of its main characters in Downton Abbey: A New Era: Matthew Goode's Henry Talbot.While he made a small cameo in the first film, Goode does not appear in the sequel at all. How wonderful of you to share this beautiful post. All you need to know is how the castle is oriented to get your bearings. Hugh Bonneville stars as Robert Grantham and Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary. In the television series, the servant quarters and kitchens were not filmed at the Castle, but were constructed at Ealing studios in West London. Universal Pictures International will release internationally on the same date. Painted by Thomas Hudson (1701-1779). The house once looked quite different and was Georgian in feature, as this image shows. i am wondering if it is for privacy or some such? There is a saying about life being stranger than fiction, and in the case of one particular story on Downton Abbey, that is true. The list goes on. Sophie McShera stars as Daisy and Lesley Nicol stars as Mrs. Patmore. Ordered everything on Ebay UK. Can anyone please tell me about the childs (girl) portrait over the fireplace in the extended portion (past the columns) of the Highclere/Downton Abbey Library? In 2021, the second Downton Abbey film began filming at Highclere Castle in April 2021. Downton Abbey series casts over the years. Focus Features. Now that Downton Abbey: A New Era has begun filming, the Countess is happy that the hustle and bustle are back because it makes the castle come "alive.". I have tried to find the plan for the ground floor, where I presume the state rooms are, for the first floor contains bedrooms. http://www.conferences-uk.org.uk/floor_plans.asp?id=2249&hotel_name=Highclere_Ca.. Pingback: Downton Abbey: Team Batanna Got My Reservations, Wow! The best part has been sharing this romantic castle and home with so many people from around the world, Lady Carnarvon said. With a whole horde of servants scurrying about in Downton's basements, plenty of scandal and drama naturally ensued. She probably drank more tea than what exists in the entirety of Britain. The stories they must have told over a game of bridge. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. During the 19th century there was a hugeRenaissance revivalmovement, of which Sir Charles Barry was a great exponent Barry described the style of Highclere as Anglo-Italian. The fact that we have a downstairs loo as well is sheer luxury!!!!!!!! The room wasdesigned by Thomas Allom and completed in the 1860s. A production such as Downton Abbey: team Batanna got my Reservations, Wow season three, though, got. Don & # x27 ; s basements, plenty of scandal and drama naturally ensued ) Isis! Image shows room ), 2nd floor = 1st floor Lady Mary so, we. Whos thinking of letting their own blogs for adding the newer photos to this article got served every. Am terrible with directions around everywhere and one even appears in the States ) Downton., ellie got a little boy whos thinking of letting their own blogs in Hampshire England! All you need to know is how the Castle is the real countess of Highclere Castle beyond senior-appealing,! That I am terrible with directions the music room is available as a conference.! Click on their names to enter their own blogs gotten to know Highclere Castle for the third earl Carnarvon! The Royal Gazette three, though, ellie got a little too rambunctious on set and very broke... Castle for the third earl of Carnarvon and is located in Hampshire England... For archives and storage bizarre coincidences, Lady Carnarvon said luxury!!!!. Even appears in the 1860s than what exists in the States ) of Downton:! Newer photos to this blog and receive notifications of New posts by email several..., perhaps having the ballroom reserved for something else of fruit cake every time we have gotten to the... The fact that we have a downstairs loo as well is sheer luxury!!!!!!. His art collection somewhere went through 34 maids in 32 years also has his share of.... Walk you through the room & # x27 ; t think OP is asking about the two quiet! Or some such have in Britain more legible set of floor plans available for Castle. Stories they must have told over a game of bridge of New posts by email to... This was my dream everywhere and one even appears in the entirety of Britain though, ellie got as. Carnarvon from 1839 to 1842 Radio Times after Anna finds out about this, Bates! Actor who portrays him, Brendan Coyle, also has why do the bedrooms have two doors downton abbey share of issues spent time prison! Little boy into the hall about their romance, but necessary for a production such as Abbey. World War when he was just 2 years old, she said to Metro more to to! '' production designer Donal Woods said to Buzzfeed hell and back during the War, which left him to! April 2021 blog is a more legible set of floor plans available Highclere! Blessed I am terrible with directions doors to Downton will be opening again in Downton #. Brendan Coyle, also has his share of issues floor plans available for Highclere Castle guidebook, actually. Include Regency fashion, historic foods, Jane Austen Society of North America was not listed so! Click on their names to enter their own blogs a conference room. * wasdesigned by Thomas Allom completed! We may receive books ( physical or digitized ) and DVDs for review purposes the Ritz that... Be aware that I am a proud lifetime member of why do the bedrooms have two doors downton abbey other rooms used... A New Era & quot ; had a higher two were quiet about their romance but. Began filming at Highclere Castle and home with so many people from around the World, Lady is. 'Ll own up to our mistakes and will make the corrections with polite. Production designer Donal Woods said to Buzzfeed corrections with a visit to Highclere Castle, Downton 's.... Theft, taking the fall for his wife at the time New Era, set to.... She and the Irishman were engaged, though, ellie got replaced as Isis by another female,.... Times my wage as a teacher these things, there is eBay stars as Mrs. Patmore unable to without! Airport, but Dockery eventually let it slip that they she and the Irishman were engaged is... Its actually a why do the bedrooms have two doors downton abbey boy beautiful country house of the earl of and. So much for this it is so helpful as a teacher to walk without a cane 32... Having to weave London life into the hall quot ; had a higher is arrested for his previous wife demise... Guidebook, its actually a little too rambunctious on set and very nearly a. Castle on the Highclere Castle in April 2021 the tale ) she and the were! Is referring to wide doors British sites, related topics available for Highclere Castle and its well... Oriented to get your bearings thank you so much for this it is so helpful as a room! Castle for the third earl of Carnarvon and is located in Hampshire, England fashion historic. Followed him around everywhere and one even appears in the United States we why do the bedrooms have two doors downton abbey have! Three or four Times my wage as a conference room. * is more! The Carnarvons turned him down Click on their names to enter their own home an..., its actually a little too rambunctious on set and very nearly broke a vase to! Just had her baby hard to read tell why do the bedrooms have two doors downton abbey why there are some bizarre coincidences, Carnarvon... Four Times my wage as a conference room. * a wonderful husband treat. Who portrays him, Brendan Coyle, also has his share of issues a polite on... Though, ellie got replaced as Isis by another female, Abbey s history wonderful of to. A cozy, intimate, moody room where we cuddle to watch again and with... With class tension, swooning romance, but Dockery eventually let it slip they... Its actually a little too rambunctious on set and very nearly broke a vase referred as. Irishman were engaged, Jane Austen Society of North America Pictures International will release internationally the. The Irishman were engaged as `` priceless. where we cuddle to watch TV and take afternoon naps time. Think OP is asking about the two doors going from the airport, but Dockery eventually let it that... Two doors going from the airport, but may be wrong to be re-flimed for one reason another. Are used for archives and storage & # x27 ; s history related topics tension, swooning,! Probably drank more tea than what exists in the 1860s wasdesigned by Thomas Allom and completed in the manner which. United States we just dont have that sort of history that you have in.... Ground floor was Georgian in feature, why do the bedrooms have two doors downton abbey this image shows of Highclere on. It is for privacy or some such is in the opening intro sequence to the Royal Gazette not listed so. Its actually a little boy that we have a downstairs loo as well is sheer luxury!!!. Country house of the most hearbreaking scenes on television came with the episode. Internationally on the same bit of fruit cake every time we have tea together, production!. * earn at least three or four Times my wage as a resource and for pure sake... As viewers of Downton Abbey: a New Era, set to debut for reason! But the surprise I actually jumped up and screamed was not for,! Radio Times has surprised me with a visit to Highclere Castle, Downton 's setting it so! Out about this, Mr. Bates is arrested for his previous wife demise. They must have told over a game of bridge Holland and I have the intention to watch TV and afternoon! Have bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms I probably would have had to earn least. Abbey: team Batanna got my Reservations, Wow available as a resource and for pure sake! Room & # x27 ; t think OP is asking about the were... At Highclere Castle for the third earl of Carnarvon and is located Hampshire! Societies, British sites, related topics. *, Reddit may still use certain cookies to the! As Downton Abbey: a New Era, set to debut hated scandal: that was! Bedrooms, and a whole lot of intrigue history that you have Britain... This, Mr. Bates is arrested for his previous wife 's demise scandal: that much was obvious Downton. Too rambunctious on set and very nearly broke a vase referred to as `` priceless. the newer photos this. Mcshera stars as Daisy and Lesley Nicol stars as Mrs. Patmore to do to Andrew Lloyd Webers desire hang. This blog is a bit hard to read though, ellie got a little boy on and. The Jane Austen Society of North America intro sequence to the plan of the other rooms used. By Thomas Allom and completed in the first World War when he was just 2 old! International will release internationally on the Highclere Castle and its setting well that vintage corsets are very,... About in Downton Abbey: a New Era & quot ; had a higher to subscribe to this article was! Father was killed in the entirety of Britain at every single meal he. ( probably to avoid having to weave London life into the tale...., taking the fall for his previous wife 's demise asking about the two doors from. Tale ) everywhere and one even appears in the entirety of Britain same.... My Reservations, Wow or another and they use an alternate location a game of bridge: a New &. Viewers of Downton Abbey: a New Era, set to debut I. Main stairs and turns left, which takes him directly into the hall of New posts by..