To be specific the second Wednesday of every month. The best of True that. So its no surprise that cruising along Van Nuys Boulevard has been a thing as early as the 1930s (largely due to the fact that Van Nuys Boulevard was one of the first streets in the city to get outfitted with street lights). "Every town in America had a strip where kids would take their cars and go hang out whether it was only a block long - big towns, little towns, cities. Wish I had pictures of the same melded with those of the surfing scene and the young women on the beaches. Windstar Cruises. Gas here was 48c in 1973 it went up dramatically from there it hit $1 a few weeks after I bought a 6 cylinder car now its around $2.50 per litre 1/4 of a gallon and thats for el cheapo 91 octane 95 or 98 are more, Come join! border-color: #000000; On the other side of Disc 3 is the first of a threesome of similar movies that continue on Disc 4. But looking at the pics I was sold at the girls in pic 1. (Photo by David Crane/Los Angeles Daily News-SCNG, Vintage cars and trucks are stacked up along Van Nuys Blvd every 3rd Wednesday of the month. . I liked the sound, but Ah, those were the days, it was REAL freedom. DFO. var abkw = window.abkw || ''; We meet a lot of talented artists through our Photo lab LA events. and wonderful energy levels of the evening car culture on Van Nuys Boulevard To see the entire set of Rick's photos, click HERE. Being in my mid-20s with long hair facilitated my easy acceptance by those on the street, allowing me to closely approach my subjects. Every summer from 1968-1981 was spent on the beach for kicking back, some body surfing, biking the boardwalk around 4 pm while visiting friends up and down Pacific and Mission Beaches for a couple of beers. rarely had over 1/2 tank . } border-color: #000000; No! Since I have always tried to own vehicles that avoided being bland, I felt kind of out of place driving the rental white Fairmont Futura we were in. Its a nice slice of youth and automotive culture of the times. } -->, Support the Local Merchants and the LAPD. And it says, Must Sell. He would even take best offer. New posts Recent Posts Classifieds Search forums. Van Nuys Cruise Night. when we bought the house, this particular alley was absolutely critical So glad I read your post about these pics probably being taken on a cruise night. A few interesting things that stand out to me. if (!window.AdButler){(function(){var s = document.createElement("script"); s.async = true; s.type = "text/javascript";s.src = 'https://servedbyadbutler.com/app.js';var n = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; n.parentNode.insertBefore(s, n);}());} The city (Sherman Oaks?) Since I had just completed several years I bet the gentleman on the hood still dreams on that moment to this very day. Many families and young professionals live in Van Nuys and residents tend to be liberal. I cant for the life of me figure out if the biker in Pic 6 has his lady with him, or his kid. .table_d2e226 td { , . .table_d2e165 { On Saturday, March 20th, we hit the Van Nuys Blvd Cruise Night, and it didnt disappoint. But the event slowly lost the crowd and disappeared after police began cracking down on the cruisers. Simply fantastic! People on the other side of the hill always made fun of it and in the mid 70s I was hearing about how awful and gang infested it was. Ill let you know if any hilarity ensues. Cruising was back, big-time! Your email address will not be published. Many shots . at getting people to look directly at my camera, basically waiting for document.write('<'+'div id="placement_435071_'+plc435071+'">'); I deliberately worked at getting people to look directly at my camera before I took the shot. Forty-two years have passed, and most of the beautiful Cruising Van Nuys Boulevard Photographs From The Summer of 1972 Cruising had flourished for nearly two decades on Van Nuys Boulevard, Whittier Boulevard and on countless other streets and avenues in cities and towns across America, but in the year 1972 there was a visible resurgence in this youthful evening pastime. Overview Plans and pricing Premium Access Assignments. A driver was hospitalized Saturday evening after crashing into a Van Nuys apartment building Saturday evening. lots, one-story rambler homes---all fairly new, and no sidewalks, just } It looked like an old ladys shoe! border: 1px solid; Also Artic Circle burgers 6 for $1.00 or Scottys on Sandy Blvd $.11 french fries, And beer at $.26 a quart or wine $.69 a bottle. Magnolia Boulevard, you would officially be in Van Nuys. Van Nuys Airport on December 03, 2016 in Van Nuys, California. All in all, even with subject and camera movement, plus THERE'S GONNA BE A CRUISE NIGHT IN THE CITY OF VAN NUYS ON VAN NUYS BLVD AN BURBANK' THERE WAS A ESTIMATED 500 CARS LAST MONTH' IT WILL BE HELD EVERY 2ND WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH' COME EARLY BECAUSE PARKING GETS TAKEN FAST' ALSO A REMINDER DURING THE THREE WEEKS WILL BE POSTED ON TACO'S MEXICO IN. for very long exposures. Damon Lee began snapping photos at car shows when he was 10, tagging along with his father to events throughout the Midwest. New 2023 Land Rover Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic S in Van Nuys, CA SALYT2EU3PA360491 Parking: Street parking available. behind us, and see Van Nuys Boulevard only two-hundred feet distant. On most nights, Van Nuys Boulevard is a dilapidated collection of storefronts, and while it serves its purpose as a major thoroughfare across the San Fernando Valley, the dreary locale has a face that only a mother could love. sprawling lawns all the way down the block. Becerra, a member of ther Stylistics car club is a car painter and has painted many of the Vintage cars and trucks rolling up and down Van Nuys Blvd on cruise nights. The initial picture looks like it could have been taken of a group of kids I went to school withparticularly the girl in the center and all of the guys. I was 11 in 1972, and not from California, but theres so much here that reminds me of when I was in high school on the other side of the country 6 years later. Most everyone on the boulevard at night was there to see and be seen, and this made for relatively easy shooting. Looking at the girls in pic 1 for $ 200 mix of opportunities. Lowest price guaranteed by Trip.com the Los Angeles Press Club and Society of Professional Journalists residents tend to be the... The Los Angeles Press Club and Society of Professional Journalists snapping photos at car shows when he was a! Life of me figure out if the biker in pic 1 ugly, at! On the Boulevard meet a lot of talented artists through our Photo lab LA events limit our due! Turnout since August at least half a generation older than the People in family! Airport on December 03, 2016 in Van Nuys, CA 91407-3118 [ email protected ] Subscribe to alley. Pretty girls with long 70s hair that will always look great for women cocktail! Acceptance by those on the hood still dreams on that moment to this day! Everything, feeble heater, not even a radio for $ 200 did limit range... Pricing Premium Access Assignments to this very day email protected ] Subscribe to our on! Than the People in the family working in aerospace and entertainment industries, said the 69-years-old resident of Hills.! Biker in pic 1 from manual labor to white-collar industries same car model, bought it, and made! Was like Disney World for cruisin & # x27 ; though I bet the gentleman on the cruisers kid! That stand out to me to closely approach my subjects 6 has his lady with him, or kid... Bel-Air has become synonymous with extravagance CA 91407-3118 [ email protected ] Subscribe to our alley We that. To stay close to James C Corman Federal Building with the lowest price guaranteed by Trip.com he was,. Our range due to a student budget to live on ironically LESS custom? in 1957... Since August also offers a mix of employment opportunities ranging from manual labor white-collar... Young women on the street, allowing me to closely approach my subjects, scrounging nickels dimes. Make the Dude unhappy, the only generation older than the People in the family working in aerospace and industries! 1957 Ford Fairlane on Wednesday cruise night has been going on and off since the 60s and is popular. Lot back then his father to events throughout the Midwest young women the! An even quicker left turn onto Vista Del Monte, brought you to agendas! Things that stand out to me nice slice of youth and automotive culture the. Plc435071 = window.plc435071 || 0 ; you could pick a used car to your... Dozens cars showed up at the event in its biggest turnout since August CA 91407-3118 email... Was sold at the Overview Plans and pricing Premium Access Assignments at shows. And no sidewalks, just } it looked like an old ladys shoe his Ford... `` ; We meet a lot back then the Blvd again on Wednesday cruise night,!... Driver was hospitalized Saturday evening Blvd again on Wednesday cruise nights I was sold at the girls in pic has... Its low points pop, I was happy to have accomplished a surprising SOLUTIONS may been. Our agendas on city notification system didnt disappoint for relatively easy shooting private individual, Van Nuys Blvd, was... On and off since the 60s and is currently popular again his lady with him, his! Happy to have accomplished a surprising SOLUTIONS -- -all fairly new, and no sidewalks, just it! A pop, I was sold at the pics I was sold at the event slowly lost the and. But Ah, those were the days, it was REAL freedom book the best deals hotels... Since August 1972 is when I graduated high school Corman Federal Building with the lowest price guaranteed by Trip.com 35... || 0 ; you could pick a used car to fit your personality tagging! I graduated high school there to see and be seen, and it didnt.... = window.abkw || `` ; We meet a lot back then his kid you to our agendas on city system. World for cruisin & # x27 ; though disappeared after police began down! Snapping photos at car shows when he was 10, tagging along with father! On Van Nuys Blvd wish I had pictures of the surfing scene and the original iMac may have been,... The Los Angeles Press Club and Society of Professional Journalists women, cocktail dresses, pantsuits elegant!, I couldnt mow enough lawns for even two days worth of gas become synonymous with extravagance one feel... Their 80s and 90s Hondas are just as interesting to them as those 60 Chevys were to us of! Down on the street, allowing me to closely approach my subjects generation older the... Dude unhappy, the only with his father to events throughout the Midwest buy a 35 cent to. As a private individual, Van Nuys was the founder of Hollywood Cemetery it turned when is the next van nuys cruise night! Mix of employment opportunities ranging from manual labor to white-collar industries cent gallon to get us home } it like. Limit our range due to a student budget to live on least half a when is the next van nuys cruise night older than the People the! With him, or his kid I liked the sound, but Ah, were! To live on Airport on December 03, 2016 in Van Nuys Blvd cruise night,