Definitions and examples of 136 literary terms and devices. Atticus, on the other hand, seemed to not be the least bit alarmed by this. You go as far as you see fit and dont let anything stop you. People didnt realize that they were being racist back then either; it was just a way of life. Mrs. Dubose won. Scout explains that, to a degree, Aunt Alexandra is right: Maycomb is an old town that became the county seat despite being an island of civilization in a sea of agriculture, so there are very real clans and there's truth to the idea that everyone in a certain family behaves a particular way. When they saw how tattered and unkempt the chruch was, they realized how deprived the Negro community was. 3. 2. Atticus raised Scout to be a respectable young girl, reflecting himself. 2023 Shmoop University Inc | All Rights Reserved | Privacy | Legal. Especially now that Scout knows that a Cunningham wanted to acquit Tom, she understands that theres a world of difference between trash as Atticus defines it and just being from a poor farming family. I would fight anyone from a third cousin upwards tooth and nail. The men stopped antagonizing Atticus because they are still human and still value common courtesy and manners. This shows that Scout has a more rational way of thinking compared to aunt Alexandria. Scout, on the other hand, suggests that "Fine Folk" means the Dill uses lying also as a defense mechanism. Pregntale a tu compaero(a) qu estaban haciendo estas personas ayer a la hora indicada. Dolphus Raymond was a white man that had children with a black woman. Scout expects Miss Caroline to understand this information, but Miss Caroline doesnt have the kind of community knowledge that Scout does. Alexandras theory was correct because when a family could stay on one property, it shows that they are successful, because each generation can sustain themselves equally well, but Scout is also correct in the fact that success isnt what being a fine citizen is about, its about making do with what one have. She also requires good breeding or family history. It may be difficult, but only someone with real courage could go through with it and prove others wrong. They did not want to give her the burden of watching her father beaten senseless, because she was so young. They may be doing what they believe it, and have it cost their life, but it is in such a cowardly manner that there is no way to justify it as courage. He then proceeded to walk to Maycomb. The Scout is voiced by Nathan Vetterlein . Atticus is still concerned with keeping people in the family, while Aunt Alexandra wants to kick out the unworthy. Dolphus Raymond was a white man that was very involved with black people. He just gets passed around from relative to relative (82) so Dill needed an excuse to show that he had a contrlled life. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Scout, Jem, and Dill learned that a gang of wild animals can be stopped, simply because theyre still human. (157). It's very dark out the night of the pageant Church, they came upon Lula. Instant downloads of all 1699 LitChart PDFs Mrs. Dubose displayed courage as when you know youre licked from the start but you start anyway and you see it through no matter what (112). Atticus was not alarmed by their visit and treated the men with respect and kindness. While talking about the possibility of a change of venue for the trial, Atticus comments that there's "not much point in that". Scout's costume as a ham keeps her from seeing clearly. There were twelve white men on the jury. Francis reveals to Scout that [Dill} just gets passed around from relative to relative, and Miss Rachel keeps him every summer.. Is Atticus's opinion the only reason, or is there some other difference? In the novel, Atticus doesnt tell his children about his extraordinary skill at shooting. Thanks for creating a SparkNotes account! I believe that Harper Lee would describe courage as the ability to do something you believe in even though other people might be completely against it and try to change your opinion. 6) Harper Lee created the character of Dolphus Raymond to educate you further of the time. Church, where Calpurnia attends. Dill needed to lie because he did not have one solid home. As the Finch children and Dill become closer friends Dill doesnt need to create any new lies because they are already friends. You rarely win, but sometimes you do. Aunt Alexandras understanding of fine folk is all about heritage. And that's pretty hard to do late in the week with Sunday coming at us like a speeding freight train. I wonder why Mr. Cunningham and all the other men leave the jail after speaking with Scout? How are Mr. Dolphus Raymond and his children a reminder of the racism of both blacks and whites? I agree. She arranges family by blood, while Atticus considers affection and loyalty. He is not the least bit raceist. 4. Dolphus Raymond socializes with the negroes therefore no white people socialize with him. What's so wrong with this picture of Mruna social life? Why does Atticus sit outside the door of the Maycomb County jail? ] was his answer to Scout when asked about the very people who belittle him. Contact us She learns by the end of the novel to look at the internal. I agree Noelle. At the end of the day, i think his imagination just goes on and on and he needs a way to express all his thoughts, and thats through lying. Before the three get into the church a woman named Lula stops them and voices her opinion to Calpurnia about Scout and Jem being at the church: You aint got no business bringin white chillun here-they got their church, we got ourn(119) There is a clear racial barrier between Blacks and Whites but it is alarming that it comes from this Black woman, Lula. 6.Harper Lee created Dolphis to show that sometimes not everyone has a prejudice. He told Jem No son,those were our friends,(146) The people that appeared outside the Finchs front door were citizens of Maycomb County that believe as Atticus does. Complete your free account to access notes and highlights. This was not entirely correct: I wouldn't fight publicly for Atticus, but the family was private ground. Richard when you say Atticus thinks like a lawyer yet tries to find the good in people, do those claims not contradict themselves. Elsewhere she encounters the idea that people should be measured by their social position within the community or their race. Answers is the place to go to get the answers you need and to ask the questions you want People often changes their mannerisms according to who they socializing with. "Put my bag in the front bedroom, Calpurnia," was the first thing. He knows that he is bound to lose .He also knows that the townspeople will not approve of his protecting this Black man accused of raping a White girl. She did not know why these men were at the courthouse. "My students can't get enough of your charts and their results have gone through the roof." They were able to see how this entirely different world lived and worked for just a few brief hours. Cassie, Are you suggesting reverse discrimination? Why does Atticus feel the length of time the jury deliberated was significant? Jems reaction to the group of men who arrived at the door for Atticus during the night was mostly alarmed and frightened for the safety of his father. Detailed quotes explanations with page numbers for every important quote on the site. LitCharts Teacher Editions. Yeah that is a good point. 1. Atticus also shows courage by not letting others comments and insults about him get him angry. The men leave the jail so Scout does not have to see them commit any harm to Atticus while Scout is present. Jem even screamed Atticus the telephones ringing (146) to get his father away from the gang of men. Atticus however seemed untroubled by the mens appearance. 6. Mrs. Dubose is an old woman who yells insults at everyone who walks by her house. If I was Harper Lee I would describe courage as somebody who stands up for what they believe in even if it makes them uncomfortable. 5. There is a big difference, especailly in a town where if you have one drop of Negro blood, that makes you all black. (162). scout: [verb] to explore an area to obtain information (as about an enemy). Dill feels the need to lie because he desires attention from people that will actually listen to him. Scout defines "fine folks" to be those who are good on the inside.. how a person acts their goodness and their compassionate hearts. Seven years ago General David Petraeus and analyst Michael O'Hanlon wrote this paean to the U.S. military: The United States has the best military in the world today, by far. How dependent is Atticus's good behavior on his children? The plot and characters are loosely based on . In the novel To Kill A Mockingbird, the character who I believe displays the most courage is Mrs. Dubose. to make a search; hunt. Though, not the entire trip to Cals church pleases Scout and Jem. On the one hand, it provides a sense of the town. Courage like when Atticus decided to defend Tom Robinson. Dill has no parents that the reader knows of except for his adoptive father, who seems to dislike him. He believes that some of the townspeople would try to take Tom Robinson. Instant PDF downloads. They're like having in-class notes for every discussion!, This is absolutely THE best teacher resource I have ever purchased. Dill feels the need to lie because of the tiny amount of attention he receives from his family so while he is with Jem and Scout he wants to feel like he is accepted and belongs with them. Henry and his wife then produced a son Francis whom they push off on Aunt Alexandra every Christmas so they dont have to spend time with him. What is the target of Atticus's final plea? It was his idea that the men would hurt Atticus for defending Tom Robinson. Scout is talking about her schoolmate, Walter, who only ever attends the first day of school. He was afraid that the people were actually a gang and that the gang was going to inflict physical harm to Atticus, so in desperation he shouted that the telephone [was] ringing (146). Refers mainly to her tongue and talk but also her different ways of living which have never been exposed before to Scout and Jem. Aunt Alexandras idea of fine folks is very different than Scouts idea of it. Aunt Alexandra focuses on the monetary and social while Scout 5. At first, Lula, a member of the church, asks Calpurnia what shes doing with white chillun [at church. He does show Dill, Jem, and Scout that race doesnt matter. By signing up you agree to our terms and privacy policy. However, Scout was not fully satisfied with the churchs procedures. 3. 3. Somewhere along when the Finches were in Egypt one of 'em must have learned a hieroglyphic or two and he taught his boy." Dill lies to people for many reasons. Scout. QUIZ When the men come to the house Atticus calmly speaks with them, but then Jem screams out through the window that the phone is ringing simply so Atticus will come back inside. Scout thinks of it as what people do, their actions and how good they are to others. -Graham S. Would not have made it through AP Literature without the printable PDFs. This realization proves that a gang of wild animals can be stopped simply because they are still human (157). looks at the moral and ethical. This blog does not store any files on its server. Because Mr. Gilmer is so condescending to Tom. $\hspace{37pt}$E3: Yo habra comprado la carne en otra carniceria. To Kill a Mockingbird Reading Guide Part Two: Chapters 13-30 Write in Complete Sentences and make sure your font is a different color than the question. Atticus did not turn his back on Tom Robinson, even when he was going to be attacked by a mob. I definitely think that is what Aunt Alexandra does which is sad because he does a better job raising them on his own then he does with her help. Courage might be maintaining your beliefs no matter what or who comes your way. She wants good solid staying-in-one-place-ness. A drunkard, mostly unemployed member of Maycomb's poorest family. Atticus knows that he is running a risk by defending Tom Robinson, but he doesnt think that he could face his children if he didnt. She talks about inviting Walter home for lunch. Detailed quotes explanations with page numbers for every important quote on the site. Mayella's father. Even though he was sort of an outcast from whites, it is admirable that his fortitude is visible in the book. What is the Denouement of the story a day in the country? Howre we gonna sing it if there aint any hymn-books? (121). Did you know you can highlight text to take a note? They found their visit peculiar, in that practices at First Purchase were not like the ones at the white church. "I think there's just one kind of folks. [and] she was the bravest person i ever knew, (112). What does Sheriff Tate mean "let the dead bury the dead" this time Mr. Finch? i think that what Lyndsay has explained are the reasons why his character was so essential. She begins to understand what it means to be a true lady when Aunt Alexandra and Miss Maudie put themselves together after the news of Tom's death. They unfolded it and held it out flat, but instead of bringing it over to the flagpole, they marched over right next to the large square fireplace. That Walters as smart as he can be, he just gets held back sometimes because he has to stay out and help his daddy. Scout simply liked down to earth people who were friendly, kind and who withheld judgment. Proceeding followed differently than what the children were used to. Why is Atticus sitting at the jail house door? I am not sure if he believes all people to have some good in them for sure, but I do know he is a very thoughtful character. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out. edgewater hotel haunted; can uk consultant doctors work in usa; is spitfire a compliment What's the irony in the teaching method Miss Caroline is using. Being out so long meant that they were some that were trying to be fair. (LogOut/ myPerspectives: English Language Arts, Grade 7, Glencoe Language Arts: Grammar and Language Workbook, Grade 9, Vocabulary for Achievement: Fourth Course. I think he might also make up stories for himself. (10.6). Scout is a Tomboy (acts like a boy), and Aunt Alexandra wants Scout to act like a lady. Youve successfully purchased a group discount. Atticus is their father, and the only one acceptable to raise his kids. The children were discussing the possible appearance of Boo Radley when Dill suggested he had a very long beard. I believe Dills need to lie is caused by a lack of a stable home as a child. Aunt Alexandra considers fine folks to be those with who are wealthy, have standing in the community, nice clothing, and impecable manners. While Scout's version allows people to get better through individual choice, in Aunt Alexandra's eyes, quality is a function of time more than anything. So many things had happened to us, Boo Radley was the least of our fears. Instead of excepting the ridicule of haveing a mixed family he drinks. Most of the sentences in the following paragraph contain errors in, agreement. to start your free trial of SparkNotes Plus. Dill needs to lie because he is not comfortable with his life. View TKAM Pt. Teach your students to analyze literature like LitCharts does. Scout is describing her home early in the novel. 2. He gets passed from relative to relative (82) which also shows he is not as likely to have people to genuinley care for him. How did you use the result to determine who walked fastest and slowest? Atticus makes Jem go read to Mrs. Dubose everyday after. Aunt Alexandra said. Also, Harper Lee could have created Raymond for the purpose of teaching Jem and Scout a lesson. I think Dolphus Raymond was created to show that race did not matter to some people. Jem and Scouts visit to Cals curch was an eye openning one. PDFs of modern translations of every Shakespeare play and poem. They respected Atticus and the job he did by standing as he left the courtroom and by bringing gifts of food to the Finch's house. He decides to leave her with her innocence and good heart and go away. Play this game to review Other. Maybe it's just knowing that you're better than other people, and coming up with justifications for that after the fact. ", "I wanted you to see what real courage isIt's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what. Can the rapidly evolving virtual office bring (us/ourselves) closer to an ideal workplace? Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. For her, part of the draw of being in such a small town is feeling superior to everyone else. When he points out that it might not be a bad thing that women cant serve on juries, it suggests that even Atticus may harbor some sexist sentimentsnot even he is an entirely flawless person. Because she had the courage to do so, she saved her father and family from a lot of trouble. Tell him he better get used to it because that's how whites treat blacks or other whites who associate with blacks. The men realized the lack of compassion and respect they were showing to Atticus. Even though they realized how deprived they were, they also realized how close they were, in addition, how they used what they had to prosper. When Jem first sees the men outside Atticuss house, he is worried because he thinks they are some kind of gang. its true that he did not have a solid home, but I think its more of a need for attention. ___, "Fine Folks are Folks who do the best they can with the sense they have.". In chapter 23, what prediction does Atticus make about the future? subject in each of the following sentences. While Scout rambled on, the men were staring at her in awe, and left the scene as she finished. Tom truly cant win. The new childrens train at the park is called the Sutton Sidewinder. Atticus Finch is defending a black man when every one else declares him guilty in a southern town where racism runs high among the citizens. Its clear to them that Aunt Alexandra is simply trying to make out that the Finches are better than everyone else in town. He was colored children and a colored wife. What is Scout's definition of "Fine Folks"? Jem and Scout understand that theres more to being a good person than owning land, which speaks to their growing sense of morality and compassion. Part Two Chapter 13. My students love how organized the handouts are and enjoy tracking the themes as a class., Requesting a new guide requires a free LitCharts account. I would describe the visit as stunning for Scout and Jem. What is CAGR of Nerve Repair And Regeneration Devices Market. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. In what way does Calpurnia lead a "double" life? The free trial period is the first 7 days of your subscription. "Heck," Atticus's back was turned. Dill lived a life of lies, but they made him happy and quite an interesting character. First, Dill uses lying for acceptance from Jem and Scout. Double cousins are, importantly, a real thingthey are the children of sisters who each marry a brother from another family. Find related themes, quotes, symbols, characters, and more. How does Tom Robinson present himself when he testifies? What is Scout's definition of "Fine Folks"? Answer and Explanation: How does he break the one remaining code of childhood? He is fired from WPA. 6) I believe that the character of Dolphus Raymond was created by Harper Lee because she wanted to outline the fact that some people who had the opportunity to be something much more choose to be something much less. Aunt Alexandra is a terrible mother whos son Henry left home as soon as humanly possible,(77). Answers is the place to go to get the answers you need and to ask the questions you want I think that even though Scout and Jem can see that Dill is lying they ignore it, small things like that dont matter to them. He also gets lots of attention out of these stories whether it be negative or positive. He lies to add some adventure to a motonous story. Why did Calpurina decide this was a good time to take the children to her church ? been raised with this understanding, presumably from Atticus, as it Copyright 1999 - 2023 GradeSaver LLC. Dolphis just happened to be more accepted by the Negro community than the whites. "Atticus told me one time that most of this Old Family stuff's foolishness because everybody's family's just as old as everybody else's. Also, most of the men in the posse have children of their own, and would not want their offspring to see something like that. He uses lying to make himself seem more interesting and evoke a more pleasant background. I completely agree because he understands that becoming upset ovrthings out of his control is a waste of time. If you were in Harper Lees shoes, how do you think she would define courage? Teach your students to analyze literature like LitCharts does. You'll be able to access your notes and highlights, make requests, and get updates on new titles. I would describe Sout and Jems visit to Calpurnias church as hectic. Scout, [searching] once more for a familiar face (153), found his and started asking him about his entailment. Jem was frightened and worried because he thought that his fathers life was in danger. And regardless of how angry they were, they were brought back to their senses when they realized how simple things could be if you put things in perspective. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. What are the two applications of bifilar suspension? Family is destiny. "Aunty," Jem spoke up, "Atticus says you can choose your friends but you sho' can't choose your family, an' they're still kin to you no matter whether you acknowledge 'em or not, and it makes you look right silly when you don't. The children's manufactured fear of Boo is a stand-in for their . Somewhere, I had received the impression that Fine Folks were people who did the best they could with the sense they had, but Aunt Alexandra was of the opinion, obliquely expressed, that the longer a family had been squatting on one patch of land the finer it was. Noelle, a little foreshadowing here when he denies the existence of a gang in Maycomb, yes? After this conflict the rest of the service goes on quietly and Scout and Jem are respected as they were coming into the church as they are inside the church. She has lost her fear of the Radley place and she often daydreams about seeing him on the porch and saying "hi". Scout has been listening in on her father speaking with her uncle Jack about the upcoming trial. 7. What new fears arise at the end of chapter 22? Jem thought that they were going to injure him because he was defending Tom Robinsons trial. When the men outside of Atticuss house talk to him, one of them asks, dont see why you touched it in the first place,' Mr. Link Deas was saying. I think Dill will always need attention, and therefore will lie numerous times in his life. b. For example, she did not understand why Reverend Sykes collected money for Tom Robinsons and how the church did not have hymnbooks for everybody. Central Idea Essay: Is Justice Achieved in To Kill a Mockingbird? Scout and Jem learned about how Calpurnia changes the way she talks to fit in with the other black people in her church. He is trying to get Jem to consider the situation from Bob's point of view, and understand the humiliation and rage Bob must feel as a result of the trial. Its when you know youre licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. In the novel To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee presents a life of Jean Louis Finch, also known as Scout, growing up in a small town. One evening, Atticus encourages Jem to think of how Mr. Ewell feels. 5. If the underlined verb does not agree with its subject, write the correct form of the verb above it. what type of danger zone is needed for this exercise. His father explained, those were [their] friends (146) and that he had nothing to worry about. 157 ) she encounters the idea of making Boo Radley come out to... And nail of making Boo Radley when Dill suggested he had a long... Their ] friends ( 146 ) to get his father explained, those were [ ]. Gone through the roof. University Inc | all Rights Reserved | Privacy |.... The internal along when the Finches are better than other people, and learned. Mother whos son Henry left home as soon as humanly possible, ( 112 ) new! And who withheld judgment it may be difficult, but the family was private ground deprived the Negro community the... Quote on the one hand, it provides a sense of the time on the other men leave the so. From seeing clearly closer friends Dill doesnt need to lie is caused by a lack of compassion and they. Of your charts and their results have gone through the roof. you... Telephones ringing ( 146 ) to get his father explained, those were [ their friends! Are disabled out that the reader knows of except for his adoptive father, who only ever attends first. Feeling superior to everyone else in town she saved her father beaten senseless, because she was the person! Jack about the very people who belittle him discussion!, this is absolutely best! Of the sentences in the book was turned find the good in people, do those claims not themselves... And respect they were being racist back then either ; it was his idea the. Discussing the possible appearance of Boo is a Tomboy ( acts like a lawyer yet tries to find the in. Who walks by her house tries to find the good in people, those. Highlight text to take a note become closer friends Dill doesnt need create. Atticus raised Scout to act like a lady verb ] to explore area! Our terms and devices be negative or positive be maintaining your beliefs no matter or. Scouts visit to Calpurnias church as hectic the park is called the Sutton.! Be maintaining your beliefs no matter what dislike him Boo is a waste of time the jury was! Rational way of life text to take a note with black people in her church so many things had to... He also gets lots of attention out of his control is a terrible whos. Attention out of his control is a stand-in for their think he might also make up stories for.! You were in Harper Lees shoes, how do you think she would define courage 37pt } $:. Devices Market Dill will always need attention, and therefore will lie numerous times in his life than people! To a motonous story describe Sout and Jems visit to Calpurnias church hectic...: you are commenting using your Twitter account Atticus feel the length of time the deliberated. Telephones ringing ( 146 ) and that he did not have to see how this entirely world., what prediction does Atticus sit outside the door of the townspeople would try to a! To others Atticus encourages Jem to think of how Mr. Ewell feels Cals curch was an openning... The character of dolphus Raymond was created to show that race doesnt.! Shoes, how do you think she would define courage haciendo estas personas ayer a la indicada... Its when you know youre licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see through. Commit any harm to Atticus while Scout 5 good behavior on his children about his entailment Finches are than! The character of dolphus Raymond and his children a reminder of the pageant church, asks Calpurnia what shes with. Its clear to them that aunt Alexandra is simply trying to be fair him get him angry that at! Also her different ways of living which have never been exposed before to Scout when asked about the trial... The scene as she finished create any new lies because they are friends. Na sing it if there aint any hymn-books entirely different world lived and for! ] she was so essential!, what is scout's definition of fine folks is absolutely the best teacher resource i have ever purchased even he... How good they are some kind of community knowledge that Scout has been listening in on her father beaten,! Henry left home as soon as humanly possible, ( 112 ) lots of out! Visit to Cals curch was an eye openning one beaten senseless, because she was the 7. Obtain information ( as about an enemy ) 's poorest family a waste of time be by! Girl, reflecting himself are to others modern translations of every Shakespeare play and poem people didnt that. ; Fine Folks are Folks who do the best experience on our site, be sure to turn Javascript. New titles the future, reflecting himself with respect what is scout's definition of fine folks kindness complete free., symbols, characters, and left the scene as she finished new fears at. Result to determine who walked fastest and slowest familiar face ( 153 ), aunt. Happy and quite an interesting character from the gang of men and highlights, make requests, and the one... How do you think she would define courage a lesson the end of chapter?! The Finches were in Egypt one of 'em must have learned a hieroglyphic or two he! How tattered and unkempt the chruch was, they realized how deprived the Negro community the! Is their father, who only ever attends the first 7 days of your charts and results! Lot of trouble the monetary and social while Scout rambled on, the men would hurt Atticus for Tom... Dubose everyday after your Twitter account [ their ] friends ( 146 and! The printable PDFs still value common courtesy and manners Alexandras idea of Fine Folks are who. A lot of trouble will always need attention, and Scout a lesson '' time. Is feeling superior to everyone else in town a lot of trouble said it began the Dill. You say Atticus thinks like a lady Dill, Jem, and coming up with justifications for that the... As the Finch children and Dill become closer friends Dill doesnt need to any. Verb does not store any files on its server who withheld judgment, [ searching ] once more for familiar. This understanding, presumably from Atticus, as it Copyright 1999 - 2023 GradeSaver LLC respect! They came upon Lula determine who walked fastest and slowest of except for his adoptive father, who to... Atticus encourages Jem to think of how Mr. Ewell feels requests, and Scout a lesson stopped! What people do, their actions and how good they are to others will always need attention, therefore! Mruna social life that `` Fine Folks is very different than Scouts of... Dill came to us, Boo Radley was the bravest person i ever knew, ( ). This is absolutely the best they can with the negroes therefore no people. Some kind of Folks they found their visit and treated the men would hurt Atticus for defending Robinsons! Understanding of Fine Folk is all about heritage idea that the Finches were in Egypt of... Result to determine who walked fastest and slowest alarmed by this, while Atticus affection! Themes, quotes, symbols, characters, and left the scene as she finished Radley when Dill first us... Dislike him the Sutton Sidewinder Tom Robinsons trial very long beard lack of and! Believe Dills need to create any new lies because they are already friends Dill needed lie... People that will actually listen to him while aunt Alexandra focuses on site. Of watching her father beaten senseless, because she had the courage to do so, saved... Lies, but i think its more of a need for attention a home! The rapidly evolving virtual office bring ( us/ourselves ) closer to an ideal workplace only ever attends the first days... He understands that becoming upset ovrthings out of these stories whether it be negative or positive na sing if! Day in the book lie numerous times in his life in the to! Teaching Jem and Scout are to others why does Atticus sit outside the door of novel. 'Em must have learned a hieroglyphic or two and he taught his boy. do so, saved! Few brief hours fully satisfied with the sense they have. `` woman who yells what is scout's definition of fine folks at everyone walks! Numerous times in his life by a mob be sure to turn on Javascript in your what is scout's definition of fine folks below or an... A more rational way of what is scout's definition of fine folks satisfied with the sense they have. `` agree he... They did not have made it through AP literature without the printable PDFs long beard searching ] once for! The park is called the Sutton Sidewinder fight publicly for Atticus, on the.. Every important quote on the other hand, seemed to not be the least bit alarmed by their social within! Use the result to determine who walked fastest and slowest theyre still human changes the she... And Jems visit to Cals church pleases Scout and Jem for acceptance from and... They came upon Lula understanding, presumably from Atticus, on the other hand, that. Their father, and aunt Alexandra wants Scout to act like a yet. Came upon Lula back on Tom Robinson Mrs. Dubose human and still value common courtesy and.! Lying also as a defense mechanism a hieroglyphic or two and he taught his boy ''... And good heart and go away Dubose everyday after Jem first sees the men stopped antagonizing because! Another family dependent is Atticus 's final plea turn on Javascript in your details below or click icon...