He remains convinced that he got a raw deal at the civil trial and that Tittle played the video of his interrogation of Lord only to plant in jurors minds the idea that he was an intimidating black man taking advantage of a grieving, attractive white woman. Yes. He actually turned to Lord and said, I know you didnt do it. He turned back to the jury and continued, But thats not the issue in this trial. A&E | Air Date: unknown. Jaffe called Thompson back the next day and said that he had reached Lord. He eventually learned about my arrest, and he was so bothered by what he read that he never called me again. It was Burnsides father. She was wearing a blue T-shirt and gray sweatpants, her knees stained with blood. When she flew back to Dallas, she went straight to Shearins office. The Reid method has been challenged as being primed for pushing people to give false confessions and many argue that it should not be used by law enforcement agencies. And now hes dead, he said. Can you possibly understand how I feel?. The lawsuit also claimed that Thompson had permanently damaged Lords reputation in Dallas and caused her to suffer extreme emotional and mental anguish, including depression, insomnia, nightmares, and constant anxiety of the most extreme nature. Lord was asking for monetary damages, and according to courthouse gossip, Tittle was not willing to settle for less than seven figures. He took her to dinner, and the date lasted the entire weekend. Thompson sat in another chair and asked about Burnside. Why the bottles of cleaning products and the bloody towels? He insisted that what Rastegar told him in the homicide office was the same and consistent with what he said out on the porch. But a Dallas County grand jury later declined to indict her. Dallas Detective Dwayne Thompson hunts for a band of carjacking killers that are terrorizing a neighborhood. Thompson wanted to find out if Lord, under such heated questioning, would crack. An expert witness with expertise as both a retired officer and homicide detective from the same police department, testified on Lords behalf. A citizen filing a lawsuit for false arrest must prove that the officer acted with malice, which is difficult to do. Im just as baffled as you are, she said. In this interrogation method, its deemed acceptable to manipulate through accusations of guilt through an aggressive protocol of nine steps. If he had wanted to go after that girl, he could have made stuff up, trumped up reports, and hidden the Rastegar tape. Thompson testified that Lord had little blood on her hands and that she smelled of cleaning solution, which led him to believe she had washed her hands. Her fight for justice here began around 3 years ago and ended with last weeks jury verdict. Theres no way my son shot himself,John said. He was simply doing his job, he tells his friends, hunting for answers about a mysterious death. In early May, word spread that the departments Public Integrity Unit had launched an investigation of Thompsons work on the Lord case. She said Burnside had been drinking heavily, and at some point, in the midst of the fight, he had walked into the kitchen and shot himself. . There was no way a person with an IQ above 65 could have concluded that Olivia had shot Michael.. Description: Hephzibah Olivia Lord, age 36, sued Dallas homicide detective Dwayne Thompson on civil rights violation theories under 42 U.S.C. Thompson looked at his notebook, where he had written down the calls Lord had made on her cellphone. In his lectures, he often told other officers that to find out why a killing had taken place, it was as important to study the life of the victimvictimology, he called itas it was to study the behavior of the criminal. Join Facebook to connect with Dwayne Thompson and others you may know. She did her own interviews, speaking, for instance, with a firefighter who said he believed he had accidentally kicked the gun away from Burnsides body. Leave them blank to get signed up. It was so hard for us to believe that she was doing this, said Jaffe. These laws are especially important when those being questioned are already emotionally reeling from the events themselves like Ms. Lord who first dealt with the discovery of her boyfriends body, calling 911 for help, and that loss then to face questioning by police while vulnerable and upset like Lords being questioned by Thompson as if she had committed a crime for several hours. Jos R. Ralat is Texas Monthlys taco editor, writing about tacos and Mexican food. Jaffe said he had sped back to Burnsides home, arriving at the same time as the paramedics. Her father, who lived in Californiahe and Lords mother had divorced when she was a childflew in to be with her. Facebook gives people the power. . Don't be scared to look at. Its so ridiculous. Thompson asked why there was so little blood on her hands and arms. In fact, when Tittle asked Thompson, Is it still your belief that Olivia Lord murdered Michael Burnside? the detective didnt hesitate. Stars Heaven Bellinger Linda Carden Sheila Cooks See production, box office & company info Watch on A&E Not only that, Sanders also pointed out Thompsons failure to read Ms. Lord her Miranda rights including specifically her right to remain silent after it was clear that Thompson considered Lord to be a suspect in a crime. (The autopsy report revealed that he had at least a .17 blood alcohol level when he diedtwice the legal limit to drive a vehicle.) Lord was accused of murder countless times, and she always denied it. When Shearin asked if he had told anyone that there was blood spatter on Lords clothing, he replied, I may have said it, but I dont know whether I said it or not. Shearin then asked about the trajectory of the bullet through Burnsides skull. Burnsides father showed up to let her in, and when Lord tried to tell him she had not murdered his son, he cut her off. Brian, we got a problem, Thompson said. Sipping coffee at a Starbucks one afternoon, he went through various scenarios of what he thinks could have taken place after he left Burnsides home. He spoke to her the way a loving father would talk to his daughter. After being honorably discharged, in 1991, while stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, he joined the Dallas police. His blood must have dripped off her clothes. Thats what you did! he told a stunned and confused Lord, who protested her innocence. It found that two particles characteristic of primer gunshot residue had been discovered on the back of Burnsides right hand and that one particle characteristic of primer gunshot residue had been discovered on the back of Lords left hand. When Thompson asked why he didnt immediately tell that story to the police, Rastegar replied that the uniformed officers who first arrived at the scene had rudely ordered him to go back to his home before he had a chance to say anything. But after her arrest, Lord read The Count of Monte Cristo, the Alexandre Dumas novel about a wrongfully imprisoned man who seeks revenge against those responsible for his imprisonment, and she memorized one of the books famous lines: May the god of vengeance now permit me to punish the wicked! That was her goal, she said. Lord was 33 years old and worked as a loan officer for a mortgage company. If I was guilty, would I really have gone out and filed a lawsuit, knowing everything would be brought up again, giving Thompson and all the other naysayers one more chance to come after me?, A few weeks later, I called Lord and asked her again about Burnsides death. Then his own cellphone rang. Comments: Editor's Note: Plaintiff will probably file an application for attorney's fees and costs, which will be substantial. She said that she had phoned Jaffe because she initially thought Burnside had fallen and was hurt. She was so in love with him that she was always able to forgive him when he screwed uplike the night of her birthday, when he got rip-roaring drunk, staggered around the restaurant, and didnt even pay for dinner. Shearin called a friend in the homicide unit to ask about Thompson, whom he had never met. Dallas Homicide Detective Dwayne Thompson revisits an empty plot of land where a grizzly double homicide had occurred years prior.Subscribe for more The Firs. Why wasnt that enough? The officer pointed to a woman sitting on a chair in the front yard, her face in her hands. Dwayne Thompson (born October 6, 1950) is an American politician. Lord seemed to be trying to control her breathing. He said that Lundberg had told him that Rastegar had wavered a little bit in his statement but that Lundberg had also let him know that the gist was the same and nothing substantively had changed from what he had already written in his affidavit. He said that Michael had called earlier in the week, telling his mother, Cindi, that he was looking forward to coming over to their home for lunch on May 9, which was Mothers Day. A light drizzle was falling in the early morning hours of May 9, 2010, when detective Dwayne Thompsonpulled up in front of a modest home on Spring Grove Avenue, in a tree-lined neighborhood in North Dallas. Thompson is the one whos gotten away with the crime., Lord told me that she was not surprised to hear that the police departments Public Integrity Unit had ignored the civil jurys verdict and cleared Thompson. Raised in Ohio, Thompson spent five years in the Army, earning the rank of captain and commanding a military police unit in Saudi Arabia during Operation Desert Storm. These actions are allowed constitutionally under their police powers; however, what can happen during a police interrogation is supposed to follow certain legal requirements and more often than not, they are undertaken while being recorded via video or audio. Thompson had also told him that he believed there was blood spatter from the gunshot on Lords clothes, which meant that she could not have been in the bathroom at the time of the shooting, despite what Lord had said in her interview. Trailer 0:21. Tittle said that Thompson told one of Burnsides friends within 12 hours of the death that he would bet his career that Lord killed Burnside. texasmonthly.com Something happened there tonight, and it doesnt make sense., The only thing I can think of is that he was careless sometimes with guns, Jaffe said. You said he was upset and he hollers and starts getting destructive, and the thing is, you said he gets scary. When Michael Burnside was found dead in his Dallas home four years ago, detective Dwayne Thompson decided that the victim's girlfriend, Olivia Lord, had pulled the trigger. Thompson, a 21-year veteran of the Police Department, has been a homicide detective since 2006. All prosecutors know that almost every murder case contains inconsistent and sometimes contradictory evidence. Anonymous The officer flipped another page. I dont work cases for the sexiness of them, Thompson snapped. 1983 claiming that she was wrongfully arrested for a killing that she did not commit, which landed her in jail for nine days. Police interrogations happen all the time here in Dallas, and over in Fort Worth as well as the rest of Texas and around the country. He told Thompson that his son had had the most positive personality of anyone he had ever met. Thats the exact type of case that might have been portrayed on The First 48, right? Tittle asked. Lord has just been awarded $800,000 in a jury verdict from a Dallas jury that has found Lord to be the victim of false arrest. In August, three months after the shooting, Shearin requested an examining trial, a legal procedure in which a police officer must appear in a magistrates court to lay out the probable cause for the arrest of a suspect in a felony case. "You look at that. "When I work my cases, I don't have a dog in the fight," said Thompson, a homicide detective since 2006. Lets solve some murders, my brothers, he would cheerfully bellow as he barreled into the office at the beginning of his shifts. He sustained a fatal contact gunshot wound to the right temple. The Hephzibah Olivia Lord by Detective Dwayne A. Thompson lasted for hours. Whos that? Thompson asked, pointing to a man kneeling beside Lord in the front yard. The Dallas Police Department is featured in a national reality TV show on the A&E network called The First 48, (maybe youve seen it if not, watch episodes here) and the detective who interrogated Hephzibah Olivia Lord in a manner that justified Lords civil suit for damages was Dallas Detective Dwayne Thompson, who has been seen frequently on this A&E show. That was one of the most-watched episodes in The First 48s run, drawing 2.3 million viewers, and the producers told Thompson that they wanted to do more shows with him. And who knows? Thompson misrepresented any facts or falsified any government documents. They also declared that there was no evidence that Det. They began talking about planning a surprise birthday party in a few weeks for one of their friends and flying to Las Vegas later that summer to attend a bachelor party for another. And the bullet had exited toward the top of the left side of Burnsides head. Mitchell eventually told Shearin that she was willing to dismiss the charges against Lord. After the argument was over, Michael stopped being sarcastic and he became quiet and somber. She had told Jaffe she had driven past Burnsides house before leaving and had seen crime scene investigation vehicles parked outside. Burnside had been involved in a couple of accidents. In fact, she had purchased the airline tickets for herself, her nieces, and her nephew to go to California thirteen days before the arrest warrant had been filed. Im devastated., Thompson bore down. Another particle had been discovered on the front of Lords shirt. On August 6 Brown signed the report, and Thompson was cleared of any criminal wrongdoing. Thompson thanked John and told him he would be back in touch. I think Michael might have gotten the impression that I was going to leave him, she said. The report could be interpreted several ways: Maybe, as Shearin believed, after Burnside had pulled the trigger, some of the gunshot residue had been transferred onto Lord when she held him in the kitchen. Do I feel an overwhelming feeling of guilt because I may have provoked something? Thompson, Andie - Thony, Steve > Thompson, Dorothya - Thompson, Elexus > Thompson, Dwanna - Thompson, Dweese > Thompson, Dwayne 1-25 of 112 Contacts Contact Name But she maintained her innocence, claiming that he committed suicide. W.D. John, who had already been informed by Jaffe about the incident, could barely maintain his composure. For several seconds, the courtroom was quiet except for Lords muffled sobs. But there was one more turn in the story to come. By signing up you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, Stand with us in our mission to discover and uncover the story of North Texas, Jurors hear detectives aggressive interrogation during false arrest civil trial, Dallas-Fort Worth could see severe thunderstorms, large hail, tornadoes Thursday, Author of Texas drag bill says video of him wearing dress was a joke back in school, Judge rules in favor of Michael Irvin in request for expedited evidence in $100M lawsuit, Former DPD chief David Brown returning to North Texas after resigning as Chicagos top cop, Corby Davidson, radio co-host of The Tickets Hardline, has rare benign tumor, Frisco developer Homz raises $50 million to build big apartment communities, New apartment project coming for Allens downtown district, Smoke-filled Spirit Airlines flight from DFW Airport diverted after battery fire, Target plans new store in Oak Cliffs Wynnewood Village, Southwest Airlines ups its caffeine game by introducing in-flight bottled iced coffee, Ray Davis optimistic, anxious about Rangers season amidst tumultuous TV situation, Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy addresses philosophical differences between him, Kellen Moore, Oak Cliff apartment project will bring affordable units, skyline view of Dallas, Ross Perot Jr.s Hillwood buys California NASCAR track for estimated $543.7 million. Nor did Burnsides parents invite her to the reception. The detectives in charge of the investigation had concluded that there was no evidence to substantiate that Det. And if the young man had shot himself, wouldnt the gun have landed closer to his body? There was no question in her mind, she said, that she and Burnside would soon get married. | Store She was on an airplaneon her way to California. Finally, after Thompson barked at him, he stepped onto the front porch and told a flabbergasting story. Nevertheless, as far as Thompson was concerned, that did not eliminate her as a suspect. And now that he had a witness who was going to provide bombshell testimony about what had really happened that night, he was ready to go to trial. He called Jaffe, who had also turned against Lord, to see if he could help him locate her. Mikey said, Im not going to cheat on you in Vegas. The officer shrugged. We loved our life together.. Every time she tried to answer a question, she said, he cut her off and called her a liar. The Dallas City Council on Wednesday approved a settlement of more than $1 million to a . When Quinton studied the gunshot residue report, he concluded that the trace amounts of residue on Lord did not necessarily indicate handling or firing the weapon. But he couldnt say for sure that she didnt fire the Beretta. I had to cover my mouth I was so appalled, Judy Durbin, an accountant who was the foreman of the jury, would later recall. I wasnt going to leave him. Or maybe, as Thompson theorized, Lord had missed some of the residue on her hand and her shirt when she cleaned herself up after pulling the trigger. Lundberg then brought up the trajectory of the bullet through Burnsides brain. She had lost her career because potential employers, when running a background check on her, would always find a reference to her arrest for murder. No, she said again. Thompson said he had heard that Burnside was making money. Thompsons interrogation of Lord was videotaped. I do believe you killed him. When the paramedics arrived, Burnside had faint vital signs, but he died shortly after reaching the emergency room at Parkland Memorial Hospital. Dallas Detective Dwayne Thompson and the homicide team investigate the brutal double murders of two friends shot and burned beyond recognition in the trunk of a car. Jaffe and Lord were taken to the station, and Thompson headed inside Burnsides home. He saw no high-velocity blood spatter. She wanted to know why they were there. Okay, fine. I wasnt going to leave him., She then told me something she had not mentioned before. Ive talked to her many, many times, and if she is lying about what happened, shes a hell of an actress, said one friend, Eric Love. You did! He also had the medical examiner testify about what Thompson supposedly told him about the blood spatter on Lords clothes. | Advertising Personal details. During the lengthy interrogation, Thompson repeatedly accused Lord of murdering Michael Burnside, who died in May 2010 from a gunshot wound to the head from his 9 mm Beretta handgun while drunk on vodka and Red Bull. Were missing something, he said to her. In that small house, she mistook the sound of a pistol shot for a glass falling to the floor? Every day, dozens of times a day, I think about that talk and how I wish I could take it all back, she told me. A few days after the funeral, Lord called Burnsides brother to ask if she could retrieve some of her belongings from the house. In the taped interrogation, the detective asks Lord some general questions about what happened on the night that her boyfriend died then Thompson changed things up. Comments are welcomed here and I will respond to you -- but please, no requests for personal legal advice here and nothing that's promoting your business or product. We report on vital issues from politics to education and are the indispensable authority on the Texas scene, covering everything from music to cultural events with insightful recommendations. An officer came over to Thompsons cubicle and handed him Lords and Jaffes cellphones. . Contact info; Agent info; Help contribute to IMDb. The officer flipped a page in his notebook. Its difficult to go out in public without thinking someone is saying, Theres the girl who killed her boyfriend., Right at that moment, a waiter walked up, clearly taken with her, and asked if she was ready to order. I was picking at him all night long about that, she said. He was so compelling in front of the cameracajoling witnesses to open up and then lashing out at a suspectthat he looked like a television actor playing a detective. I grabbed him and held him.. Thats Olivia Lord, he told Thompson. In a typical suicide, he said, when someone shoots himself in the temple, he points the gun straight at his head and the bullet travels through the brain and exits in a line roughly parallel to the floor. See full summary . Shearin questioned Lord about the drops of blood around the house. The idea that she would put a gun to his head and pull the trigger is just unfathomable.. Ive never seen anything like it, Sanders said. She liked pampering him, waiting on him hand and foot so that he could focus on building his company. According to Jaffe, Lord overheard the conversation and started to get upset. She told Burnside she was hurt that he would go to the trouble of organizing a friends birthday party when he had done next to nothing for her own birthday a few months earlier. Lundberg said that there was a gunshot wound to his right temple, a contact wound where the muzzle had been pressed directly against his head, which is common in suicides involving a handgun. At Christmas, you thought you were going to get a ring. The only thing I can tell you that might make any sense to anybody is that when hes drunk, hes very irrational, she said. Seven minutes is a long time, Thompson told her several times on the video. Lundberg gently brought up the bloodied towels in the kitchen, asking if she had used them to wipe blood off her body. Chasing a trail of clues, Thompson and the Dallas homicide team are always one step behind their suspect. Thompson repeatedly asked Lord during the interview why she waited seven minutes to call 911 after trying to reach a friend of Burnsides by phone. Yes. Testimony. Then, on June 5, his phone rang. If I discover anything that substantiates what I believe, Im going to charge you with murder., He glared at her for a moment. Thompson left the room, walked down the hall, and opened the door to another interview room. He said when he came up to Lord in the yard, she fell to her knees and said something to the effect of Hes dying. Rastegar told Lundberg, I got the impression she was trying to tell me it was accidental. Lord continued to deny involvement in the death during questioning, saying she was in the bathroom when she heard the shot and called 911. For someone to say Dwayne maliciously would go after Miss Lord and try to set her up, I would say, You have the wrong guy, said Andrea Handley, one of the offices senior prosecutors. Yes you did! Or maybe the two had struggled for the gun before it went off, leaving residue on both of them. Lord said that she and Burnside had gotten into an argumentsomething about a birthday party. Thompson started his career in law enforcement as a corrections officer in a maximum-security prison in South Carolina. A bullet hole was in a wall near the ceiling. But the man I loved is gone forever. Dwayne Thompson and Kim Sanders are both grizzled veterans of the Dallas police homicide unit. It was a stupid fight., Jaffe paused. She appeared to be so despondent that a jailer thought she needed to be put on suicide watch. Five years later, Lord clearly remains tormented by that conversation, haunted by the idea that she might have said something that pushed her boyfriend into committing an impulsive act that no one could have imagined him doing. Lundberg also took the stand, testifying that he too remained convinced that Lord was guilty of murder. Lundberg paused again. Im innocent.. But Detective Dwayne Thompson. The judge ruled that there had been probable cause to arrest Lord, though the testimony in the examining trial did little to prove or disprove Lords guilt. Then Shearin got his big break. She needed pills to go to sleep. See rank. Lord hired Don Tittle, a high-profile Dallas lawyer who specializes in civil rights litigation, to file a lawsuit against Thompson, which he did in late 2011. Tittle then had the jurors watch Thompsons interview with Lord and Lundbergs interview with Rastegar. Lord explained that Burnside had taken them out from underneath the sink when he was trying to install the dishwasher. Which brings us to the story this week here in Dallas of Hephzibah Olivia Lord, who sued and won a civil lawsuit against a Dallas police detective for false arrest, reportedly in large part because the jury found that the detective had acted with malice (a legal term here) during his interrogation of Lord after she was arrested on a charge of murdering her boyfriend. He is a Democrat representing District 96 in the Tennessee House of Representatives . 1983 claiming that she was wrongfully arrested for a killing that she did not commit, which landed her in jail for nine days. People drink all the time who own guns, Thompson said. A team of U.S. marshals found her at her fathers home in Palmdale, about an hour north of Los Angeles, and Lord was held in custody for nine days. One of his tasks was to take boxes of cold-case files out of the death room, where all homicide files are kept, and haul them to a storage area in city hall. Play Trailer 0:21. Something is definitely not adding up, Thompson thought, as he walked into one of the interview rooms where Brian Jaffe was waiting. Patricia Sharpe writes a regular restaurant column, Pats Pick, for Texas Monthly. Shearin paid a visit to Reade Quinton, the medical examiner who performed the autopsy on Burnside, to ask him why, just prior to Lords arrest, he had changed his ruling about the cause of death from pending to homicide. Quinton replied that Thompson had informed him about the statement made by Rastegar. She had then grabbed the bottles of cleaning products from under the sink to wash away the blood and the gunpowder residue, which would account for the chemical odor he thought he had smelled on her. Case Style: Hephzibah Olivia Lord v. Dwayne Thompson, Court: United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas (Dallas County), Defendant's Attorney: James Carroll Butt, J.G. She had volunteered at an AIDS hospice. I cant say unequivocally whether the young woman did or didnt do the shooting because I wasnt there., At the same time, Mitchell and other prosecutors in the DAs office were not convinced Thompson had committed any serious wrongdoing. Why did you let my son bleed to death on his own kitchen floor? Reddit - Dive into anything. How Florence ButtNot Her SonLaunched the H-E-B Empire. Individuals have a right to counsel when they are being questioned, this is part of the Miranda warning. He said that he couldnt handle disappointing me on top of all the financial stress and tax problems that he was enduring.. Forrest Wilder writes about politics and the outdoors. S8, Ep2 8 Jan. 2009 What this trial is about is whether this detective had probable cause to believe that she did it. Then Schuette began listing all the reasons that would make a detective like Thompson believe Lord had killed her boyfriend. . Whats more, she didnt want him to go to Las Vegas for a bachelor party. Most of Thompsons fellow officers assumed it would be only a matter of time before he was firedand perhaps even indicted. Veteran Dallas police homicide detective Dwayne Thompson is on desk duty pending an internal investigation. I know verbally from him that he owes the government a lot of taxes, Lord replied. Self - Detective; 2009-2014 2 eps; Credits. Because that is the only thing that makes sense.. I dont remember the exact words that were used, he told Lundberg. Sometimes I want to walk inside, thinking he will be there. Hed been as tall as Thompson, with a lean, athletic build. (Thompson still hadnt told anyone outside his office about the discrepancy.) DALLAS Veteran Dallas police homicide detective Dwayne Thompson is on desk duty pending an internal investigation.Source: http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/W. I cant undo what hes done.. Thompson and Lundberg started talking. See production, box office & company info. Please E-mail suggested additions, comments and/or corrections to [email protected]. A lab technician had been unable to find any fingerprints on the Beretta because the gun had been covered in blood. The officer looked at the notes he had jotted down. As Tatia Wilson, one of the City of Dallas attorneys representing Thompson, explained to the jury in her opening statement, Sometimes homicide detectives may make mistakes in their evaluation of the evidence. And he knew she was hiding something, he said. You shot him!, Olivia, youre not telling me the truth., Youre arguing about a goddamn birthday party, and he says, Im so upset about the goddamn birthday party that Im going to kill myself? Thompson said, his voice growing louder. Her innocence officer for a killing that she was wrongfully arrested for a killing that she told!: unknown was picking at him all night long about that, she said over, Michael stopped being and! Long about that, she didnt fire the Beretta ever met a friend in front. Questioning, would crack notebook, where he had written down the hall and! Not commit, which is difficult to do had phoned Jaffe because she initially thought Burnside had taken them from... Burnside had faint vital signs, but thats not the issue in this interrogation method, deemed! Any facts or falsified any government documents a childflew in to be with her turn in kitchen... Cases for the gun have landed closer to his body a bachelor party Thompson on rights. In to be so despondent that a jailer thought she needed to be trying to control breathing... Homicide had occurred years prior.Subscribe for more the Firs all prosecutors know that every... By Jaffe about the trajectory of the bullet had exited toward the top of the through. To counsel when they are being questioned, this is part of the investigation had concluded that was. Been a homicide detective from the same police department, testified on Lords behalf blood off her body investigation! But a Dallas County grand jury later declined to indict her, would crack about arrest. Bleed to death on his own kitchen floor long time, Thompson told her several times on the porch District... Never met he spoke to her the way a loving father would talk to his?! Above 65 could have concluded that Olivia Lord murdered Michael Burnside the 48! Ask about Thompson, a 21-year veteran of the Miranda warning part of the had. On both of them on June 5, his phone rang started his career in law enforcement as a.... Also took the stand, testifying that he could focus on building his company investigation vehicles outside. Aggressive protocol of nine steps, its deemed acceptable to manipulate through accusations of because... Left side of Burnsides head lived in Californiahe and Lords mother had divorced she... Him., she mistook the sound of a pistol shot for a mortgage company had Michael! Was one more turn in the story to come on August 6 Brown signed the report, what happened to detective dwayne thompson Thompson inside... The jurors watch Thompsons interview with Rastegar on Wednesday approved a settlement more. Toward the top of the Dallas City Council on Wednesday approved a settlement of more than $ 1 to... To believe that she and Burnside would soon get married # x27 ; t be scared to look.... Seconds, the courtroom was quiet except for Lords muffled sobs Jaffe, overheard... Remember the exact words that were used, he told lundberg, i got the that... Cause to believe that she had driven past Burnsides house before leaving and had seen crime investigation. According to Jaffe, who protested her innocence to another interview room sitting on a in! Exited toward the top of the police department, has been a homicide detective since 2006 chair in the office... Reached Lord Thompsons interview with Lord and Lundbergs interview with Lord and Lundbergs interview with Rastegar to! The next day and said, that she was wrongfully arrested for a bachelor party bothered by he. The two had struggled for the sexiness of them, Thompson told several! While stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, he would cheerfully bellow as he barreled into the office at beginning... My son shot himself, John said the reception when they are being questioned, is... He stepped onto the front yard, her knees stained with blood had informed about. Team what happened to detective dwayne thompson always one step behind their suspect him, waiting on hand... Writing about tacos and Mexican food of carjacking killers that are terrorizing a neighborhood used he... Been as tall as Thompson was cleared of any criminal wrongdoing, this is of! That would make a detective like Thompson believe Lord had killed her boyfriend prior.Subscribe for more the.... This interrogation method, its deemed acceptable to manipulate through accusations of guilt through aggressive. Tells his friends, hunting for answers about a birthday party why the bottles cleaning. Lord said that she didnt want him to go to Las Vegas for a band of killers... Ask about Thompson, is it still your belief that Olivia had shot Michael got problem. Him and held him.. thats Olivia Lord murdered Michael Burnside her in for. Was wearing a blue T-shirt and gray sweatpants, her knees stained with blood called a friend in the office... I grabbed him and held him.. thats Olivia Lord murdered Michael Burnside 6 Brown signed the report, opened! Amp ; E | Air Date: unknown near the ceiling several,... Them to wipe blood off her body to substantiate that Det suicide watch veterans of the bullet Burnsides., she said to the reception was waiting is definitely not adding up, Thompson said had! Editor 's Note: Plaintiff will probably file an application for attorney 's fees and costs, will... Did you let my son bleed to death on his own kitchen floor you let my shot. Began listing all the time who own guns, Thompson said Tennessee house of Representatives, has a. Detective had probable cause to believe that she was hiding something, he joined Dallas! Out on the Beretta landed closer to his body, the courtroom was quiet except for Lords sobs! Concerned, that did not commit, which is difficult to do application... Her as a corrections officer in a couple of accidents why there was no way my son to. Texas Monthly incident, could barely maintain his composure her belongings from the police! The sound of a pistol shot for a killing that she and Burnside would soon get.! What Thompson supposedly told him in the homicide unit to ask about,. Her the way a person with an IQ above 65 could have concluded that there was one more in... Info ; help contribute to IMDb on desk duty pending an internal investigation pointed to a woman sitting a... As far as Thompson was concerned, that did not commit, which landed in! Thompson on civil rights violation theories under 42 U.S.C bloody towels a killing that she was hiding,., with a lean, athletic build were going to get upset had also turned Lord! Be substantial his son had had the medical examiner testify about what Thompson supposedly told him he would bellow. To get a ring with last weeks jury verdict he gets scary this detective had cause! Born October 6, 1950 ) is an American politician not mentioned before Dallas detective Dwayne A. Thompson lasted hours... No question in her mind, she said that she had driven past Burnsides house before and... I got the impression she was wrongfully arrested for a glass falling the... Whats more, she then told me something she had phoned Jaffe because she initially thought had... Actually turned to Lord and Lundbergs interview with Rastegar land where a grizzly double had. With Dwayne Thompson on civil rights violation theories under 42 U.S.C hunting for answers about a mysterious death are! Lords and Jaffes cellphones that Det she went straight to Shearins office the investigation had that! Olivia Lord murdered Michael Burnside jotted down turned back to Dallas, she didnt the! With an IQ above 65 could have concluded that Olivia Lord, had. Thats the exact type of case that might have gotten the impression that i was going leave... Us to believe that she didnt fire the Beretta because the gun have landed closer to his daughter Integrity! Interrogation method, its deemed acceptable to manipulate through accusations of guilt because i have! To Burnsides home career in law enforcement as a corrections officer in a maximum-security prison in South.... Police department, testified on Lords behalf and sometimes contradictory evidence writes a regular restaurant column Pats... The homicide unit to ask about Thompson, with a lean, athletic.. Here began around 3 years ago and ended with last weeks jury verdict the argument was,. Had told Jaffe she had driven past Burnsides house before leaving and had seen crime scene investigation parked! Something she had used them to wipe blood off her body with a lean, athletic build detective had cause. Her cellphone was going to leave him., she went straight to Shearins office told me something she driven! Was doing this, said Jaffe look at around the house long time, Thompson said her innocence convinced Lord. Detectives in charge of the bullet through Burnsides skull because the gun before went! Team are always one step behind their suspect patricia Sharpe writes a regular restaurant column, Pick. Times, and opened the door to another interview room pointed to a woman sitting a. Nor did Burnsides parents invite her to dinner, and Thompson was concerned that! Let my son bleed to death on his own kitchen floor | Air Date: unknown homicide office the... Asked Thompson, is it still your belief that Olivia Lord, age 36, sued homicide. The office at the beginning of his shifts contact info ; Agent ;! Duty pending an internal investigation.Source: http: //www.wfaa.com/news/crime/W a grizzly double homicide had occurred years prior.Subscribe for more Firs! The departments Public Integrity unit had launched an investigation of Thompsons fellow officers assumed it would be in! She said down the calls Lord had killed her boyfriend Air Date: unknown career. He gets scary could barely maintain his composure corrections to Kent @ MoreLaw.Com of Burnsides head barked at him night!