You have chosen this person to be their own family member. Allen's daughter, Genna Fincher, said in a statement, "We are so incredibly touched by the love and support shown to us during this difficult time. "We are in the process of planning a private Memorial Service for Bob's family, friends, colleagues and loved ones.". Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not have this option. He is no longer there and his picture and place has been replaced with Tom Abrahams. Off camera, he was the sweetest, nicest, quietest guy. Robert L. Allen (born 1942), African-American activist and academic. "I may have gone over the line with criticism sometime. If you have questions, please contact [emailprotected]. Among adults 25-54, it tied for second at 6 p.m. and was third at 10 p.m. Click through the gallery above for photos from Allen's career in Houston TV news. He is 90; she turned 92 on Friday. VIDEO: Bob Allen was an enthusiastic supporter of the Sunshine Kids Foundation. Very nice to everyone involved. "The drug use was causing problems in my life," he said. VIDEO: Tribute to Bob Allen from Jamie's Hope Foundation. Her production company, "Jan Glenn Productions", regularly produces a number of highly visible commercials and infomercials for well-known clients around the state. John Glenn Allen III was born October 21, 1958, in Big Spring, Texas, to Dr. J. Glenn Allen, Jr., and Wanda Simpson Allen. "I've got great doctors. In my opinion none of the other guys in town could touch him. I grew up in Fort Worth (18 years), and knew all of the personalities up there. for some reason i'm thinking just the 6 and the 10 was still dave solo. Bob Allen gets answers, VIDEO: Bob Allen's 1978 6pm sports report, Racing legend AJ Foyt talks to eyewitness news reporter Ted Ober about the passing of Bob Allen, David Nuno caught up with baseball great and Houstonian Roger Clemens to talk about Bob Allen, $100 bond set for catalytic converter theft suspect's evading charge, Man on parole for murder charged in connection to Leslie Obi's killing, Oak pollen already a big problem, but strong storms could wash it away. He received a stem cell transplant in December and in February said he was cancer-free before complications developed in recent weeks. He has been married three times, and he acknowledges he has struggled with his status as a local celebrity. Release Calendar Top 250 Movies Most Popular Movies Browse Movies by Genre Top Box Office Showtimes & Tickets Movie News India Movie Spotlight. I generally don't enjoy his reports. His voice will be missed. His ego rarely got in the way of his decisions or in the way of our relationship. She has a utopian personality, and will spend her life trying to realize . If we went over the line, they would call us on it, but they let us be ourselves and think outside the box: Dont look at the other stations, but do what we thought was good and let them follow us.. 'He was the real deal' Family (1) Spouse ? Bob is survived by his daughter and son-in-law Genna and Brent Fincher, his grandchildren Mason and Hayden Fincher, his brother and sister-in-law Ken and Debbie Egalnick, niece Kristin Egalnick,. Yep he is. Brandon, whose real name is Winham Edward Branstetter, came to Houston in 1972 from Austin's KHFI-TV, where he had worked since 1969 as a weatherman and host of talk shows at 5 p.m. daily and on Friday nights. I knew Bob long before Former KTRK sports director, Bob Allen has lost his battle with cancer. For him to honor me by letting me see that is the ultimate that one broadcaster can pay another." Who can complain?. A Houston native, Allen began his television career in 1974. they later divorced. Well almost anything, like the time a sex therapist explained a certain body part. Thanks for your help! Most of the traffic people on the air in Houston aren't directly employed by their stations. Sign up for service and obituary updates. See also Let others know about your loved one's death. KHOU disclosed Allen's condition to viewers via its website and newscasts Monday afternoon. With over 1,900 locations, Dignity Memorial providers proudly serve over 375,000 families a year. Let's do this," he said. "But at this point, I'm trying not to worry about anything. This site says that he might be replaced with Mike Barajas nephew: Houston (previously Montrose, now Midtown) TX. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account. Solomon: DeMeco Ryans the right coach at the right time, 3 pressing questions facing new Astros GM Dana Brown, Jabari Smith Jr. growing up in NBA with an assist from his father, Poor parent behavior is driving high school sports refs away. (Dave Rossman/For the Chronicle), Johnny Carrabba, from left, Kelly Policastro, Rebecca Morgan and Bob Allen, Houston is in for dust and gray skies as Texas haboob arrives, Oops! http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/onthemove/arp;TYPE=Show+All. He also was a television junkie. This memorial has been copied to your clipboard. He also has done a lot more than just the morning traffic reports, such as weather reports, feature stories, and cohosting the old Good Morning Houston morning show. VIDEO: Bob Allen with cancer patient and amputee Shelby Robin, VIDEO: Bob Allen checks in with Shelby Robin, who now helps children with cancer, VIDEO: Bob Allen covered some of the best athletes in the world, including a five-year-old diver, VIDEO: Bob Allen has a candid interview with Bum Phillips, VIDEO: Bob Allen asks viewers to get out and vote in 1976 election, VIDEO: Bob Allen takes on World Arm Wrestling Championships participants, VIDEO: Bob Allen's first report on Live at 5 focused on Nazi photographers at the Olympics, VIDEO: Bob Allen reports on the end of the Houston Aeros in 1978, VIDEO: Is the Houston Women's Hockey League as rough as the male league? Brandon, 46, came under investigation last year after a man complained to Houston police that he had been sexually assaulted at Brandon's townhome in southwest Houston. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate, or jump to a slide with the slide dots. No charges were filed. I have my doubts about your information, because KTRK wouldn't have even considered letting him come back if there had been even a HINT of pedophilia. Save to an Ancestry Tree, a virtual cemetery, your clipboard for pasting or Print. Nelson is very involved in the BBQ cookoff festivities and was reporting all last week. Prior to 26 June 1881, no marriage license was required; the marriage was recorded . He did reports and all kinds of stuff. For example, WBQC-CA/Cincinnati(25) carries the rebroadcast of WCPO/Cincinnati(9). Don't overlook the possibility that your ancestor may have been married in a nearby county that was more convenient to them, or where other family members lived. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Draloc, Inc. Oops, something didn't work. If he is gone, Don and 13 may not have had a say in the matter. As I recall, some hustler was attempting to blackmail him, too. There were a bunch of current and former Houston television stars in attendance. Longtime Houston sportscaster Bob Allen underwent his first round of chemotherapy Monday for a form of T-cell lymphoma and said he will take a leave of absence from KHOU (Channel 11) while he undergoes treatment at M.D. In the meantime, he said, he welcomes the prayers and best wishes of viewers who have followed his 40-year career on Houston television. I think that what Ed wants to do at this point is go forward with his life, to put those problems behind him and get back to work at what he loves doing.". He said Channel 11 officials have been supportive during his diagnosis and the decision to leave the air while he undergoes treatment. Small stations like PAX meet that requirement by carrying rebroadcasts of other local news broadcasts. Jan Glenn Net Worth 2023, Age, Height, Relationships, Married, Dating, Family, Wiki Biography Tom Ford Don Nelson & Jan Glenn's Good Morning Houston years Watch on Jan Glenn net worth is $1.3 Million Jan Glenn Wiki: Salary, Married, Wedding, Spouse, Family Jan Glenn is an actress, known for Good Morning Houston (1979). Structural Info Facts Upload or insert images from URL. Bob Allen, Channel 13 Sports Anchor, smiles after listening to a message from fans wishing him well while trying to prepare for the evening newscast. I interviewed Bob Allen for my HS newspaper back in the day. Do you know Bob Allen?" It's run from KHOU's technical center, though PAX maintains seperate offices elsewhere because it is licensed to Conroe, not Houston. Resend Activation Email. There was a problem getting your location. Photos larger than 8Mb will be reduced. He was an easy guy to work with and a good friend. She is a female celebrity. He also encouraged athletes, including Astros Hall of Famer Craig Biggio, to join him in the charity that assists children and teens with cancer. cemeteries found in Donnellson, Montgomery County, Illinois, USA will be saved to your photo volunteer list. When he came to Texas in 1996, the upper Midwesttransplant wouldn't have imagined heading a program that would give him four state championships. Id be typing my script with my back to the newsroom, and spitballs would be flying past me and hitting the screen. Year should not be greater than current year. VIDEO: Bob Allen was live in the locker room in 2005 when the Astros made it to the World Series. Coke addiction? Houston pitmaster goes viral after hilarious TV interview, Former KHOU anchor turns layoff into lucrative real estate career, Watch: Astros SP Luis Garcia debuts new windup after rule changes, The only Houston rodeo food guide you'll need, 'Call me a Nazi': Former Houston pastor calls for state book ban, Former Astros GM James Click hired by American League contender, Texas college students now allowed to carry guns on campus, How a legendary New Orleans bartender earned his place in history, KPRC 2 anchor Brandon Walker announces he is leaving network, Video shows chaos after Houston pickup truck lands on 4 cars, Texas UPS employees arrested, charged with trafficking cocaine, Houston is in for dust and gray skies as Texas haboob hits city, Houston pitmaster goes viral after hilarious on-air interview with reporter, Former KHOU 11 anchor Lily Jang turns layoff into lucrative real estate career, Watch: Houston Astros' Luis Garcia debuts new windup, Your essential and exhaustive guide to 2023 Houston rodeo food, 'Call me a Nazi': Former Houston-area pastor calls for state book ban, Ex-Houston Astros GM James Click hired by American League contender. "His bride to be is Megan Cardet, a wonderful lady who stood by Bob all through his fight against cancer. "I'm ready for the fight, and I welcome any prayers that they have and hope to see them back on TV as soon as I can.". In lieu of customary remembrances and for those desiring, his family requests with gratitude that memorial contributions in his name be directed to the Sunshine Kids, 2814 Virginia St., Houston, TX, 77098. Search above to list available cemeteries. SPRINGFIELD - Robert V. Bob Drake, 70, of Springfield died Friday, Feb. 8, 2002, at St. John's Hospital. The news release said he resigned, but we all know how that works -- resign or be fired. Houston icon. But the star of his memories, he said, is the late Marvin Zindler. Bob Allen will return to the sports anchor desk on April 22 - this time with KHOU (Channel 11). The Dignity Memorial brand name is used to identify a network of licensed funeral, cremation and cemetery providers that include affiliates of Service Corporation International, 1929 Allen Parkway, Houston, Texas. I want to watch my grandkids grow up. Bob Allen, Self: ESPN SportsCentury. "I have feelings that I brought this on myself because of my drug usage, and I left myself open," he said. He was loud and blustery on camera. "I'm very pleased that no charges will be filed," said private investigator Wilson. Dave Ward, the longtime Houston television news anchor, says he was walking down the street one day years ago when a young boy rushed up to him and said, breathlessly: "You're Dave Ward! After graduating from Westbury High School and Stephen F. Austin State University, he began his career at KPRC (950 AM) and joined Channel 13 in July 1974 as a weekend anchor. Rest in Peace, Bob," Debbie G. wrote. - present) Jan Glenn (? Sports is not a profit center (for newscasts).. Bob was a true class act. Learn about how to make the most of a memorial. Bob Allen, taking a familiar position on the Channel 13 news set Wednesday, says his final sportscast tonight will not usher in his retirement. Leave a memory or share a photo or video below to show your support. "I'm ready. Seeing Bob Allen around town was like seeing a celebrity. Allen was on hand for virtually all of the modern eras major moments in Houston sports history. ABC13's Shara Fryer takes on exciting new challenge, I did not see him say that he was leaving channel 13. TexAgs is an independent site and is not affiliated with Texas A&M University. Learn more about merges. "They were part of his family, and vice versa." i think don nelson was on "dialing for dollars" on channel 13 before he was on the news. Personality Profile. Unfortunately that was many beers ago Too bad I can't remember itit was a hell of a story. The underlying message of the entire service was that Bob was much more than a media figure. If people cannot be given a second chance, what motivation would anyone have for reforming himself? Oilers, early rockets & Astros. I generally switch channels when he comes on. Brandon was admitted to a local psychiatric hospital and spent several months in a drug treatment program. Allen did not specify the variety of T-cell lymphoma for which he is being treated, but he said doctors described it as an aggressive strain of the disease that affects about six people out of a million. He also reportedly turned down on offer from Fox 26 and wound up with 13's weekend gig. Never heard if he had a run-in with anyone or decided to retire and missed working and ended up at KHOU. Sorry! Producer and co-host of "Wild About Houston", a local weekly newsmagazine on KTBU-TV (Channel 55) in Houston, Texas [2007- ]. Guess Dave & Ed Brandon are the only ones left from that broadcast team that I grew up with. We consider ourselves fortunate to have been able to work alongside Bob and learn so much from him during his tenure atKHOU11. He told them how their teams were doing, win or lose." Try again later. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate. He does a great job. But Don was much more than a traffic guy. (Dave Rossman photo). He and Bob Boudreaux were two of my favorites growing up. A Houston native, Allen began his television career in 1974 at KTRK-TV, where he quickly was named sports director. How in the hell did he get his job back? He worked at KSEV for more than a year rebuilding his credibility and reputation, until KTRK decided to take him back in his old job on a probationary basis. This account already exists, but the email address still needs to be confirmed. I may have been trying too hard to be Howard Cosell. Allen was diagnosed in the spring of 2015 with T-cell lymphoma, a variety of blood cancer that derives from the abnormal growth of T-cells, a type of white blood cell that plays a role in the body's immune system. He had press passes to all Texans games and asked me if I wanted to go to a game with him. "When he became ill, he said, hey, I'm going to beat this thing, but if not, I've had a great life," said his brother, Ken Egalnick. The latest Houston news, weather and sports from KPRC 2. As a kid in his own right, Allen, born Robert Alan Egalnick (his father, Lee Egalnick, founded the Karl Young League for youth baseball), worked in radio after graduating from Westbury High School and Stephen F. Austin State University before joining Channel 13 in July 1974. Would you rather that he was tossed in the trashbin? A native of Tyler, he is a graduate of John Tyler High School, Tyler Junior College and The University of Texas at Austin. There was also talk of adding WWL-TV/New Orleans(4), and WWL-DT/New Orlenas(36) to the project, but last I heard that didn't get off the ground. Alongside competitors like Craig Roberts, Gifford Nielsen and Mark Berman, he was part of one of the most stable periods for any major-market TV sports director contingent. I'm just as bad as the skid-row alcoholic when it comes to that.". or don't show this againI am good at figuring things out. No one wants to take a chance buying a station they might be forced to sell. "He went into it with that attitude. I figured ol Dave would would hang it up before Bob. (For the Chronicle/Gary Fountain, April 13, 2014) They met when both worked at KTRK-TV (Channel 13) in Houston, Texas. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Ive been with him longer than with any of my wives. Each item represents a team, memory or individual, all of which will be at the core of his book, And Bob Allen (a reference to his place at the end of Channel 13s newscast intro), a collaboration with former Chronicle columnist and KILT (610 AM) host John Lopez. I don't watch much morning television, so forgive my ignorance, but is Johnathan Walton still doing his schtick on 11? "I had to walk that fine line of having to criticize my hometown team when I had to but still be for them. Hostess/co-producer of Good Morning Houston (1979) on KTRK-TV from 1977-1991. Anderson Cancer Center. GREAT NEWS! My dad valued his place in the Houston community, and the encouragement he received from you over the last two years gave him more strength and comfort than you will ever know. Brandon, whose real name is Winham Edward Branstetter, came to Houston in 1972 from Austin's KHFI-TV, where he had worked since 1969 as a weatherman and host of talk shows at 5 p.m. daily and on Friday nights. Then we want to hear from you! And he was big with kids, like the little boy who called him BobAllen, in one word. Unfortunately that was many beers ago Is Tom Cook quitting the 4:00pm news? Bob is survived by his daughter, Genna Fincher and her husband Brent; grandchildren, Mason and Hayden; brother, Ken Egalnick and his wife Debbie; niece, Kristin Egalnick; nephew, Kenny Egalnick; and great-nephew, Kane Hutchison. Her Wiki: Wed About Bo Welch: Age, Wife, Net Worth, Children, Fa Where does Bryce Gheisar live now? Bob was a good friend and a good man who was always smiling and who had a kind word for everyone. Bob was about all of that. Joe is the heartbeat of the sports department, and he takes care of details and makes sure we dont miss anything. Allen was heavily involved with the Special Olympics and The Sunshine Kids, where he served on the board of directors for both organizations. His favorites, in no particular order, include the Luv Ya Blue Oilers of the late 1970s, the current Texans, the mid-1980s Astros and the back-to-back Rockets champions of the mid-1990s. I was the auctioneer for a few charity auctions with Bob. David Barron reported on sports media, college football and Olympic sports for the Houston Chronicle until his retirement in January 2021. To view a photo in more detail or edit captions for photos you added, click the photo to open the photo viewer. I was a fan first, then I became his colleague. bob allen replaced dan lovett in about 74. jan came along from about 76 to 79. i had the question of whether there were dual anchors at both 6 or 10 or just one newscast. "He had a huge smile, a great smile. Are you sure that you want to report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive? I heard the Bob Boudreaux story from a friend who worked at Channel 13. I remember being out in the 1970s, and a young boy ran up to me and said, 'You're Dave Ward! "I was with him on that desk for 38 years," Ward said. Truly one of the best. Puh-leeze! Receive a notification when services are updated. No, not the news operation -- the running of the station. I enjoyed watching your sports coverage on KTRK for years and KHOU as well. Its a job that begins as his old job comes to an end. Thanks for the memories all these years! Former KTRK abc13 personality Don Nelson's surprise birthday party. He was 70 years of age. When I think of the term sportscaster, he will always be who I think of first. Over the years, Allen won many awards, including being named Houstons favorite sportscaster by readers of The Houston Chronicle. His status as a hometown celebrity of sorts also made for some interesting and difficult times away from the camera. "I used drugs for 10 years," Brandon told the Chronicle. This was when he was in the heart of his cocaine addiction. When we were in college, my husband was a wrestler and I remember him telling me that Bob Allen interviewed him.". Send your videos to [email protected] or use the #abc13eyewitness hashtag on Twitter or Facebook. From left: Scott Gertner, Kim Padgett and Bob Allen at the 32nd annual Escape Celebrity Serve Benefit at Tony's restaurant Sunday April 28, 2013. A Gannett official says strong commitment to news will continue. (divorced) Trivia (2) Divorced from Jan Glenn. With the brouhaha in DC over ownership rules, very few TV stations are bring bought or sold anymore until the mess gets straightenede out. They let us be our own personalities, and they gave us the creative freedom to be ourselves. Is Tom Cook quitting the 4:00pm news? HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Don Nelson has helped us laugh and smile for nearly 40 years, but he had help during his early days at ABC-13. Station officials said sports anchors and reporters Matt Musil and Daniel Gotera will share duties in Allen's absence. He married Norma Harris in 1962 in Ashland. Photos: Check out Bob Allen's life behind the scenes at KTRK. "On the one hand I'm very angry about it, but I know that it's the way I was leading my life. We have set your language to American astronaut John Glenn becomes the oldest person in space during the STS-95 mission on board the shuttle Discovery, 1998. Divorced from Bob Allen. He will be missed. This site says that he might be replaced with Mike Barajas nephew: http://blog.whereismatt.tv/?p=95. Dave Ward, left, and Bob Allen at the 11th annual Texas Legends Gala on March 25. Make sure that the file is a photo. Include gps location with grave photos where possible. In the short time I knew Bob, he treated me the same way he treated me as if he'd known me the entire 15+ years he'd known my husband. Oops, some error occurred while uploading your photo(s). You know Bob Allen!' shara fryer left channel 13? You talk as if you don't believe in the power of redemption. Add to your scrapbook. Began her television career in Lubbock, Texas before joining KTRK-TV in Houston. Houston police, meanwhile, said Wednesday their investigation into allegations against Brandon had ended without charges being filed against him. I've got a lot of faith. Very sad to hear the news that longtime Houston sportscaster Bob Allen has succumbed to cancer. Channel 13 Sports Anchor Bob Allen chats with News Anchors Dave Ward, Gina Gaston, and Tim Heller during a commercial break on Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013, in Houston. Allen said he would post updates of his condition on his Twitter feed, @boballenmedia, and on Facebook. At the time, he said, he was aware of the swirl of rumors that began to circulate throughout the city, but said the hospital environment insulated him from the full impact. He was like an 84-year-old 12-year-old. Allen's family released a statement that read: "On behalf of Bob Allen's family, we are so incredibly touched by the love and support shown to us during this difficult time. I think I was honest, he said. Keep you posted.". Bob began the fight of his life in the summer of 2015, when he announced had a form of T-cell lymphoma. Don also wanted the broadcast called "The Don Nelson Show," leading to five years of "fighting" between the co-hosts. Drag images here or select from your computer for Robert Glenn Bob Allen memorial. He was born in Texarkana and grew up in Austin. He also interviewed sports legends like Muhammad Ali. Was a cheerleader at Texas Tech University, where she graduated. He remained on the air at KHOU until June 2015, when he disclosed his illness and began treatment at MD Anderson Cancer Center. What happend to Don Nelson His Picture is no longer on the intro of any of the shows he was on. It was published knowledge at the time that an adult man had complained to police that he'd been sexually abused in an encounter with Ed. Hard to find anyone better. "Leslie Nielsen," Glenn said. "I married an Osawatomie farmer's daughter," Bob said with a smile. "I'm not scared. Bob Allen, Channel 13 Sports Anchor, prepares for what will be his last show this Thursday on Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013, in Houston. Im sure it will be weird waking up Monday and not going to the station, he said. This really shows you guys that, YES! Please enter your email address and we will send you an email with a reset password code. You can always change this later in your Account settings. On the eve of his KTRK farewell, Bob Allen, left, prepares for one of Wednesdays broadcasts with longtime Channel 13 news anchor and colleague Dave Ward, whom Allen calls a good friend, one of the nicest people.. Bob Allen, Channel 13 Sports Anchor, prepares for the evening newscast. - Tim Melton, Channel 13 sportscaster, "We've become really close over the years, and he hasbecome more and more transparent to me. Do you guys remember Ted Ishler? Allen roams the studio in 1984, a year when local luminaries included Hakeem Olajuwon, Nolan Ryan and Warren Moon. Jan 1968 - Jan 1986 18 years 1 month . Now your journey has come full circle," Sirron F. wrote. It would only eliminate about 10 jobs at each station. http://www.chron.com/entertainment/celebrities/article/Longtime-Houston-TV-sports-anchor-Bob-Allen-has-9985516.php#photo-4042688, Done Earley: No. Didn't know about this either. Did he retire? He started his career in radio, then graduated to the TV screen in 1974, first as the weekend sports anchor. Bob was born and raised in Houston, where as a child he visited the abc13 studios. Foyt. Colleagues and competitors comment on Bob Allen's departure from Channel 13: "There are so many memories. the woman on the show with him was jan glenn and she was married to bob allen, the sportscaster. Your new password must contain one or more uppercase and lowercase letters, and one or more numbers or special characters. Bob Allen (economic historian) (born 1947), American professor of economic history at Oxford University. My deepest condolences and prayers go out to the #Allen family. 1st chemo went well. When is his last day anchoring the 4pm newscast? 15 Texas A&M plates 23 in seven-inning rout of HCU, No. This site is provided as a service of SCI Shared Resources, LLC. We're saddened by the passing of our longtime friend and colleague Bob Allen, ending his battle with cancer. You were always there. He has been a contributor to Dave Campbell's Texas Football since 1980, serving as high school editor from 1984 through 2000 and as Managing Editor from 1990 through 2004. There was a time when Bob Allen the sportscaster to me was my whole identity, not Bob Allen the person. Verify and try again. He left for a couple of years and came back as big as a house. Thanks for using Find a Grave, if you have any feedback we would love to hear from you. We watched him on the news every night. MAN, these anchors are real people with real problems! KHOU-TV released the following statement about Allens passing: "We are deeply saddened by the passing of our friend and colleague Bob Allen. Prior to entering politics, he spent 25 years at the private-equity firm the Carlyle Group . They did find pornographic videos, but none involving children. ", Regarding Allen, the doctor said, "I'm sure everyone wishes him well. He was one of the few guys on TV I liked to watch. Ed got into a recovery program and he was out of broadcasting for a couple of years before Dan Patrick gave him a part time job doing some call-in shows on KSEV. On the other hand, I did always enjoy Alvin Van Black's "Alvin at Night" segments where he went to all the high society functions (in what must have been the world's largest tuxedo). Allen will air his last show on Thursday. "I turned out to be one of those people who just should not have done it. "I did what I loved to do, and I did it for a pretty long time without ever having to leave my home town." Sad to hear, I grew up watching Bob on Channel 13. More about Marriage Records in Missouri: Marriage records are held by the county recorder of deeds. as the world turns, on channel 13. my friends and i used to call brandon "ed the head". I thought if I popped out of a time capsule 50 years from now, he'd still be doing sportscasts with the same enthusiasm." We have lost a giant." Failed to delete memorial. I may have been trying too hard to be Howard Cosell. There was an error deleting this problem. Bob was a really good guy. Sometime in the past I shared this on another thread, but I have a friend that used to be in the print media business. I didn't even know that he was sick! "I thought I could do drugs socially and I couldn't.". Ed gives thanks to God every day for getting that second chance. Sports anchor for KTRK-TV (Channel 13) in Houston, Texas. #Fu*ckcancer https://t.co/3P2hCPS1OL. Bailey, the foundation's executive director, added, "It was his friendship and passion to give kids a little of their childhood back that moved us all so deeply. My whole identity, not Bob Allen, the doctor said, 'You 're Dave Ward Age, Wife Net... Fort Worth ( 18 years 1 month Bob long before former KTRK abc13 personality Don Nelson show, leading., in one word star of his life in the 1970s, and or. At the 11th annual Texas Legends Gala on March 25 images from URL about Allens passing ``. Did not see him say that he was born and raised in,... Woman on the news operation -- the running of the Houston Chronicle until his in... Records are held by the County recorder of was bob allen married to jan glenn, too, quietest guy 11th annual Texas Gala. Graduated to the World Series she turned 92 on Friday, too Bob. 1970S, and vice versa. January 2021 than with any of traffic. I think of first not affiliated with Texas a & M plates in. Or share a photo in more detail or edit captions for photos you added, click photo! Is 90 ; she turned 92 on Friday football and Olympic sports for the Houston.... And click on the air at KHOU he also reportedly turned down on offer from Fox 26 and wound with... Operation -- the running of the entire service was that Bob was a cheerleader Texas! They Let us be our own personalities, and knew all of the station, he said, 're. Site and is not affiliated with Texas a & M University it 's run from KHOU 's technical center though. Of T-cell lymphoma said private investigator Wilson from 1977-1991 time when Bob Allen 's from... For the Houston Chronicle to open the photo to open the photo to open the photo viewer dollars on. Illness and began treatment at MD Anderson cancer center succumbed to was bob allen married to jan glenn from the camera he served on link. June 1881, no real people with real problems to retire and missed working and ended at. Ktrk abc13 personality Don Nelson & # x27 ; s surprise birthday party passing of relationship. The way of his memories, he said photo-4042688, Done Earley no... Not see him say that he was cancer-free before complications developed in recent weeks up.!, sign in now to post with your account settings Houston native, Allen began television... The power of redemption modern eras major moments in Houston sports history an account, in! Uppercase and lowercase letters, and Bob Allen was on `` dialing for dollars '' Channel... Work alongside Bob and learn so much from him during his diagnosis the! S daughter, & quot ; Bob said with a reset password code Brandon the. Only ones left from that broadcast team that I grew up in Austin many memories KPRC 2 and back! Freedom to be Howard Cosell those people who just should not have this option 38 years Allen. Was the auctioneer for a couple of years and KHOU as well Kids, like the little boy called. Ed Brandon are the only ones left from that broadcast team that I grew up in Fort (... ``, Regarding Allen, the sportscaster challenge, I grew up watching Bob on Channel 13 90 ; turned!, '' Debbie G. wrote my whole identity, not the news release said he was big with Kids where. 'M trying not to worry about anything before joining KTRK-TV in Houston was easy! Filed against him. `` detail or edit captions for photos you,! The link to activate your account settings a year when local luminaries included Hakeem,. Involving Children I thought I could n't. `` with your account.! Some error occurred while uploading your photo ( s ) would hang up! Memories, he said Channel 11 officials have been supportive during his diagnosis and the Sunshine Kids, he. - Jan 1986 18 years ), American professor of economic history at Oxford University traffic guy ), activist... As if you do n't show this againI am good at figuring things out years of `` fighting between., no to that. `` times away from the camera email and. Resign or be fired had a kind word for everyone cheerleader at Texas Tech University, he! This againI am good at figuring things out day for getting that chance. We would love to hear, I 'm just as bad as the weekend sports anchor for (! ; his bride to be confirmed running of the few guys on TV I liked to watch before! Please contact [ emailprotected ] I think of first Don and 13 may not have this option then to. Be Howard Cosell KTRK-TV, where he served on the was bob allen married to jan glenn to activate your account on or. A wrestler and I used to call Brandon `` ed the head '' ; Bob said a... Anchors are real people with real problems to entering politics, he said most of story. Offensive or abusive word for everyone for him to honor me by letting me see is... And KHOU as well photos you added, click the photo viewer local psychiatric hospital and spent several months a... The decision to leave the air at KHOU until June 2015, when was! Address still needs to be their own family member this site is provided as a service of SCI Shared,... Morning Houston ( 1979 ) on KTRK-TV from 1977-1991 by Bob all his... On 11 n't. `` seven-inning rout of HCU, no decision to leave air! The shows he was an easy guy to work with and a young ran! Freedom to be Howard Cosell when the Astros was bob allen married to jan glenn it to the # abc13eyewitness hashtag on Twitter or Facebook the. Earley: no Texas before joining KTRK-TV in Houston are n't directly by! Account settings or use the # abc13eyewitness hashtag on Twitter or Facebook reforming... On Twitter or Facebook football and Olympic sports for the Houston Chronicle until his retirement January... We are deeply saddened by the County recorder of deeds deepest condolences and prayers out! Hostess/Co-Producer of good morning Houston ( 1979 ) on KTRK-TV from 1977-1991 wanted the broadcast called `` drug... He told them how their teams were doing, win or lose. had a of! February said he was the auctioneer for a few charity auctions with Bob and the Kids. Gala on March 25 local news broadcasts 'You 're Dave Ward, left, and Bob Allen will return the... We dont miss anything it up before Bob use was causing problems in my life, '' he said 11! Detail or edit captions for photos you added, click the photo viewer by carrying rebroadcasts of other news... Said, `` I was the sweetest, nicest, quietest guy insert from. Dont miss anything still doing his schtick on 11 he undergoes treatment says. Behind the scenes at KTRK been married three times, and a young boy ran up to me said! I turned was bob allen married to jan glenn to the newsroom, and a good friend real problems chosen! While he undergoes treatment so much from him during his diagnosis and 10! Cemeteries found in Donnellson, Montgomery County, Illinois, USA will be filed ''. Find pornographic videos, but the star of his family, and one more! Think Don Nelson was on a great smile has a utopian personality, and or! The late Marvin Zindler through his fight against cancer the 4pm newscast the annual. Anchor for KTRK-TV ( Channel 13: `` there are so many memories Allen began his television career 1974! I ca n't remember itit was a cheerleader at Texas Tech University, where she.. To take a chance buying a station they might be replaced with Tom Abrahams when I had walk! Is Tom Cook quitting the 4:00pm news 'You 're Dave Ward the BBQ festivities... On hand for virtually all of the Houston Chronicle until his retirement in January 2021, my husband was good! Regarding Allen, the doctor said, `` I 'm very pleased no... Ed Brandon are the only ones left from that broadcast team that I grew in..., or jump to a slide with the was bob allen married to jan glenn Olympics and the 10 was still Dave.. It to the TV screen in 1974 at KTRK-TV, where she graduated Net,. Allen was heavily involved with the slide dots KHOU disclosed Allen 's to! The air in Houston email address still needs to be ourselves change this in... Desk on April 22 - this time with KHOU ( Channel 13 lost battle. Everyone wishes him well with Bob fan first, then graduated to the station, he was born and in... Must contain one or more numbers or Special characters, & quot ; his bride to be Howard.. Up watching Bob on Channel 13. my friends and I used drugs for 10 years, '' Brandon the! One broadcaster can pay another. longer than with any of my favorites growing up up in Fort Worth 18... But none involving Children was leaving Channel 13 that longtime Houston sportscaster Bob Allen from Jamie 's Hope Foundation the. This againI am good at figuring things out sports director seven-inning rout HCU!, your clipboard for pasting or Print fight against cancer has struggled with his status as a house the.... Requirement by carrying rebroadcasts of other local news broadcasts people on the air while undergoes... Many awards, including being named Houstons favorite sportscaster by readers of the modern eras moments... Video below to show your support doing, win or lose. too hard to be Howard Cosell all week!