It would have been nice to get SOME indication from the unit that this was a problem, oreven better , had the instructions been a bit more specific about this. We looked at the instructions a few more times, even searched for a more recently updated version of the instructions as a pdf (in case ours were out of date). We decided to try a DC-DC charger from Renogy. The Victron pair you're leaning towards is an excellent choice. Please refer to the manual on page 15 for Battery Type LED. Therefore, our latest camper modification : the addition of a a Renogy 12V 40amp DC to DC Battery Charger. 1. This is what will connect to the newly installed truck Source side Anderson plug. BUT (heres the issue) after 30 secs or so the Renogy starts turning on and off (internal protection?) Key Features step 11 : slippery silliness ! Renogy DC to DC Battery Charger InstallRenogy 60A DC to DC Battery ChargerCompatible with a multitude of alternator types, this 60A DC to DC Battery Charger offers correct charging for AGM, Flooded, Gel, and even Lithium deep cycle batteries!Featuring a 3-stage battery charger and multiple electronic protections, owners can feel confident that their batteries are being charged optimally and automatically.Easily install the compact yet sturdy DCDC 40A on various applications such as: RVs, commercial vehicles, boats, yachts and many more!Edit Post2019 Sprinter Van Lesson 10,103 - Sourcing 12v PowerHere are few lessons learned from making a connection to the upfitter lugs under the drivers seat to get 12v power from the engine/aux batteries, it seems like there is zero info about the entire process out there so here goes. step 17 : So now that we knew everything was rewired and working properly, it was time to connect the DC ON wire to a 12 volt source, in our case, some running lights so that when the truck is in tow mode you could send power, if desired, to the DC Charger. It has multifunctional safety technology including over-voltage protection, over-temperature protection, and reverse polarity protection to make it safer for use. Click here for prices on amazon.com victron orion tr smart dc to dc battery charger Get Started With Off-Grid Solar Power Winnebago Camper. Ive hooked up my 40A Renogy DC-DC with input from TV with 4ga Anderson connector and output to my 280Ah LiFePO4. 1. Question: can I use a smaller gauge wire like a an 18 gauge wire instead of a hes y 4 g cable? Renogy's DC to DC MPPT on-board Battery Charger is designed to give you options! Renogy DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger is designed to charge service batteries from a starting battery linked to an alternator or by utilizing solar panels connected directly to the unit, offering multiple charging options and ensuring your battery stay fully charged. 3. That seems to happen regularly on newer alts., so you need the signal wire attached to the D+ wire of the alt. (each 100 watt panel can push about 5-6amps of 12 volt power). It allows me to charge my batteries with proper multi-stage charging by both my alternator AND solar panels. After install I received a dash light for . After 25ft of 4ga wire, the voltage would be down to 11.5V. Instead of burning lots of #4 cable to run both a positive and negative, wed just run the positive from the battery, then use the frame as the negative return. Also would like an option to dual charge [from PV] both starter battery and leisure battery (eg before leisure battery is full) in case static for some time to keep starter battery topped off, but would need dual charging logic (lead acid vs LiFePO4) so maybe a bit much to ask. Renogy DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger is designed to charge service batteries from a starting battery linked to an alternator or by utilizing solar panels connected directly to the unit, offering multiple charging options and ensuring your battery stay fully charged. We thought, how about a section of hose ? 2. This Renogy DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT is compatible with both traditional and smart alternators. Is it necessary to connect? Compatible with a multitude of alternator types, the DC-DC battery charger offers correct charging for AGM, Flooded, Gel, and Lithium batteries. He then passed the long positive #4 wire from the Truck battery, along this same area and passing it through the existing hole for the tailgate power. This manual showed me the two connections points I needed to make on pages 245 thru 248, one for 70 amps of power going to my DC to DC charger located in the rear of the van and the other was a small 12v signal wire that is used to turn the DC charger on ONLY while the engine is running. 5. Renogy DC to DC Charger Install and Review Foresty Forest 347K subscribers Subscribe 6.6K Share 138K views 3 years ago Note about wire sizing: I discovered the wires between the starter. With Pandemic shipping times, I didnt want to wait too long and had it shipped to a future destination a few days into our future itinerary. The Terminal fuse protects the wire from the battery to the breaker, then the breaker protects the wire run along the length of the truck. When connecting the charger and the battery, make sure the battery poles are clean when connecting the terminals, select a sufficient cross-section for the connection cable, tighten the nuts and bolts with proper torque as loose connections may cause overheating. Im calling Renogy Monday morning but hoping to figure it out sooner than later. The DCC50S is a bit larger than our first choice, at 9.6 inches wide, 5.7 inches deep, and 3 . The Renogy DC-DC Battery Charger with unique dual charging options. B2B chargers are hands down the best way to charge if you drive regularly IMO. We went with a 40amp model, but they also make them in 20 and 60amp. You can get a decent 2000 watt generator for about $700-900. Featuring a 3-stage battery charger and multiple electronic protections, users can feel confident that their batteries are being charged optimally and automatically. What is a DC-DC charger? How do I set the battery since there is no display screen? Renogy 30A DC2DC Charger with MPPT - DCC30S 12V 30A DC to DC Battery Charger with MPPT; Bluetooth Module for the charger - BT-2 Bluetooth Module for Renogy Products w/ RS485 Port; 500A Battery Monitor - Renogy 500A Battery Monitor with Shunt; 100A Smart Battery Protect - Smart BatteryProtect - Victron Energy High-quality DC-DC chargers are three-stage chargers. Renogy DC-DC Chargers support a variety of battery types and, depending on the charger, it operates while driving or stationary in order to maximize your off-grid lifestyle. It is able to charge: Flooded, Gel, AGM, and Lithium batteries using multi-stage charging. For boats, the DC to DC charger will be plugged into a dockside outlet for use when the boat is in port. 2. This multi-stage, multi-input battery charger can charge a service battery from a starting battery linked to an alternator or by utilizing solar panels connected directly to the unit. Just adding another 100ah battery would probably be enough to get us through an extra one to three additional days of no solar. The Renogy hides the input cables and uses posts to connect the ca. Its a great MPPT Solar controller/DC to DC battery charger. Make sure that the entire system is a 12V system, 2. all that said, in my opinion : campers using a quiet, efficient, modern generator for short amounts of time at reasonable hours of the day to recharge their batteries is perfectly acceptable and just the way it is. When the generator is started, a signal will be obtained on the D+ Ignition cable, which will light up the indicator light of the charger. Ensure that the maximum charging current provided by the DC-DC battery charger does not exceed the maximum charging current allowed by the house battery. The D+ ignition cable can be purchased at the local store or online, it suits both D+ and LC terminals. The Renogy Dual Input DC to DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT takes the standard DC to DC charger three steps further. just something to consider. This will give maximum battery cell life. With Built-in Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT), Renogy DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger will charge your service batteries with maximized solar power, providing 3-phase charging (Bulk, Boost and Float) to regulate the whole charging and ensure the batteries will be accurately charged at the correct voltage levels to 100%. With up to 99% MPPT tracking efficiency and 94% convert efficiency, the charger can fully charge a 1kWh battery within 2 hrs with solar energy. This Renogy's DC to DC MPPT on-board Battery Charger has a built-in Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR), thanks to which the charger will Trickle Charge the service battery and maintain its fully charged status, and will also Trickle Charge the starting battery via solar panels. My connections were not up to Eddie standards, but, the connections are solid, and I was able to cover all my mistakes up with heat shrink tubing, so hopefully Eddie wont laugh too hard at me next time he sees my work. Those, Lets say your RV batteries are at 13.6V and your truck batteries are a little low, maybe at 12V. If Renogy added this already, or adjusted the charging algorithm to accommodate such scenario (low PV power) it would be perfect. Connecting to the DC+ lug for a light power source that is only powered when the engine is running. For even more flexibility, we added a portable 100 watt panel in the fall of 2018. The compact and robust design makes it suitable for all conditions. One simple way for us to solve this issue would be to just add a third BattleBorn Lithium battery. step 13 : old lucky 13 ! This multi-stage, multi-input battery charger can charge a service battery from a starting battery linked to an alternator or by utilizing solar panels connected directly to the unit. Please note the temperature sensor is not included and it cannot use with Lithium batteries. Ive tried connecting the D+ directly to TT battery but same thing. Following that install, weadded another 200 watts in april 2018. Opened up the hood of the truck and flipped the breaker to ON which means we were sending power from the truck battery to the DC Charger. See photo 2.3. Renogy's DC to DC charger packs all the same capabilities as any other manufacturer's, at a lower price point. Renogy 20A 12V DC to DC On-Board Battery Charger is designed to charge secondary batteries while driving using the primary battery connected to the alternator. This would complete the Truck positive and ground for the power output from the battery. If the battery charger is connected to the starting battery and solar panels at the same time, the maximum input current will be 15A for each; if the battery charger only connects one of the two DC inputs, the maximum input current will be 30A. 4. I give it 5 stars because I have fixed all the faults apart from the short terminal bolts, but TBH I shouldn't have to fix any! This multi-stage, multi-input battery charger can charge a service battery from a starting battery linked to an alternator or by utilizing solar panels connected directly to the unit. Step 6 : pull the #4 wire through the frame channel. A typical installation of a DC-DC charger. UPDATE Feb 27th, 2020 - I decided to buy myself a Renogy DC-DC charger meant for the task. Step 7: mount the breaker to the Truck compartment, and pull the new #4 wire for connection to the breaker. upate 6/18/2020 : we finally got back out on a trip since installing our DC-DC converter. DC-to-DC charger. Featuring a 3-stage battery charger and multiple electronic protections, owners can feel confident that their batteries are being charged optimally and automatically. Next up was creating a camper-side connector wire, which would run from the tail of the Truck, along the inside of the A-Frame of the trailer, and terminate inside the camper near the battery compartment, existing inverter, and the soon to be installed DC charger. Disconnect the main battery - This wasn't so easy, there is a small (5\" x 5\") plastic cover to the right of the accelerator pedal, pull it from the top and then pull up hard, its not easy bu t it comes off. And what the heck does that mean ? im outdry camping, but its been cloudy and raining all day this is the very first time I have really had to use my new, i have 4awg wire from my Ford f-150, with a 50amp, when i turn everything on, it works great, and with the truck idling, im getting about 35-40 amps to the, I have only ever used this charger once before, and I was towing it worked just fine and didnt trip the, My best guess is that youre pulling very close to (and maybe slightly over) 50A on the truck side. 3. The Renogy unit is +10 amps more than the allowable MB guidelines of 40A. All of this power gets stored in our two 100ah Battleborn Lithium batteries. The compact and robust design makes it suitable for all conditions. The DC-DC battery charger is installed between the starter battery and the house battery. I verified that, even IF the DC Charger has its red DC ON wire connected to power, the unit will NOT turn on, unless it has incoming DC power. I had plenty of #4 wire available, so I could easily make a wire long enough to swing around the top of the existing 4 incoming connections to the shunt, and just add my fifth wire on top, and bolt back down the shunt bolt. The large terminal screw bolts are far too short for large cables and is a struggle to get the cables screwed down, All you need to fix this problem are longer terminal screw bolts. 12V 40A DC to DC On-Board Battery Charger. When connected with two batteries, it is vital to be able to isolate the two start and service batteries for charging safety. 2. 1. This diagram shows the whole connection of the DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger. SW5 switch is the selection switch for switching between lead-acid batteries and lithium batteries. Their app is easy to use and understand so I am happy with my choice of purchase. hi Steve, thanks for reading my post. I have some 4AWG that I think I can repurpose, or I'll just buy new wire off Amazon or something. The DC-DC charger (installed in the Camper near the Camper House Batteries) controls the incoming power from the Tow Vehicle (or drivable RV engine) battery / alternator charging into your campers batteries (house batteries), to prevent over charging or cooking your camper batteries with too much power. I see no need for an additional large ground cable. The charger needs to select the charging mode according to the battery voltage. And finally, connect the a DC positive wire to switch ON the converter and see if it works. update : In October 2020 we added yet another 275 watts for solar, as well as another 100ah Battleborn battery for a total of 300ah. Everything was connected up and it just works. Be careful not to over-torque the terminals on the DCDC as over-torquing may cause irreparable damage (Do not exceed 16 N-m / 3.3 ft-lb). 18-16AWG copper cable recommended. DC-DC Chargers are essential components for properly charging and maintaining your second battery bank in your dual battery bank system. After some crawling around, Eddie determined that on our Truck, the frame was wide open, with hardly any obstructions, allowing for basically a straight shot from the engine compartment all the way to the tail of the Truck. What types of battery does the charger support? You simply attach the positive and negative leads from each battery to either side of the charger, then connect a wire from the charger to the ignition system. Obviously we can change our power consumption habits to adjust to the lack of sun (not using the microwave, not using the electric water kettle etc), but even then, after 3 days with no sun, our batteries start to dip down to low levels. Please allow up to 1 to 2 business days for processing and 3 to 5 business days for shipping. Pre-Drilled Holes for Easy Installation - Renogy solar panels are equipped with back frame and ground mounting holes, ready for installation. They were just totally overwhelmed, trying their best to have their techs work remote and adapt to the Pandemic workflow. Do not reverse the polarity since the reverse polarity of the battery connections can cause injury and damage to the device. A DC-DC charger is, by its nature, going to limit how many amps it tries to pull from the source. The red dip switched needed to be set for lithium, and in our case, that was : The phone jack , black plug is for temperature regulation (not needed for our Lithium setup), the Green terminal connector, is actually the ONLY on/off switch on this unit. The DC-DC Battery Chargers are the most effective way to charge your house batteries from the starter battery. Question about the 7 pin. 3. Exclusively available with the BT-2 Bluetooth Module accessory and Renogy DC Home App available on the IOS and Google Play Stores, you can monitor this device remotely and simply through your phone and stay constantly updated. These guys are RV upgrade masters, and although their installs are relatively recent, it seems they are happy with the Renogy charger. renogy dc to dc battery charger 20a, 40a, 60a Victron has many versions available for 12, 24, and 48 Volts. With RJ45 communication port featured, you can unlock monitoring features exclusively using the BT-2 Bluetooth Moduleand Renogy DC Home App, control and monitor the device remotely through your phone in real time. However, since standard/traditional alternator has a fixed voltage when charging, while smart alternator has a controlled charging output based on operating conditions, it is required to connect the charger to the smart alternator through the Vehicle Ignition Port by the IGN Signal Wire comes with the package. Well minor issue on a recent trip when we finally really tested this setup. I put the question out to Matt of the awesome adventurousway.com, why do you need a fuse on battery and a circuit breaker both? The system prioritises solar but in my opinion it would be better if it prioritised the alternator. Renogy DC to DC Battery Charger InstallRenogy 60A DC to DC Battery ChargerCompatible with a multitude of alternator types, this 60A DC to DC Battery Charger . Protect Your Starter Battery Might be similar to. So driving in full sun and an empty battery the best the charger would put in is 32 amps. This multi-stage, multi-input battery charger can charge a service battery from a starting battery linked to an alternator or by utilizing solar panels connected directly to the unit. Bonus points : he is friends with Ray at Love Your RV, so we knew we could hit up Ray if we hit any technical issues or roadblocks during the install. This system works very well for our needs, but has one major weakness : lack of sun. A charger like the Renogy 12v DC To DC On-Board Charger is a great vehicle charging solution. The DC-DC battery charger adopts the design of the DIP switch and it provides 6 charging voltage settings through five gears. Renogy 40A DC-DC Charger 60 Amp Switchable Breaker 50 Amp Switchable Breaker Battery Terminal Fuse Holder (if not already on battery) 60 Amp Terminal Fuse 4 GA Cable 20 FT 100% Copper Booster Cables Anderson Type Connectors 4 GA Lugs and Heat Shrink Hydraulic Crimper Bernzomatic Torch Vamplier Electrician Scissors Uni-T Clamp-On Amp Meter Gender: Male. I randomly stumbled upon this and I'm glad I did. We decided to try a DC-DC charger from Renogy . How to choose a suitable battery charger? Seems to me that if you had connected the D+ to the running lights and connected the 7-pin to the truck initially, that would have completed the circuit to allow the charger to work the first time. Offers Over-voltage Protection, Over-temperature Protection, and Reverse Polarity Protection to ensure the operation safety. The LC wire can automatically adjust the charging current to prevent excessive charging current from damaging the house battery. While your vehicle's alternator prioritizes your starting battery, this unit will allow your solar system to charge your service battery first! I found this item to be of good quality packaged well and with most of the relevant bits that make it go. Pretty good in theory, but it was much much harder to accomplish the cable pull through the hose. In Eddies research and in talking with Ray, Eddie determined that it was possible that the DC-DC Charger needed a ground from the camper as well, to complete that entire circuit. After flying back home, we were not ready to give up our new lifestyle yet, so we bought a minivan, converted it into a DIY minivan camper, and drove across Canada in search of beautiful campsites and stunning mountains to climb. See photo 5.8. If you have any questions, please contact us in time. 2. See owners manual for more details. Disconnect the two wiring harness connectors under the driver seat, one is white and one is yellow. here is a closeup of the anderson connector on the tail of the Truck (source) and the trailer side (load) the garden hose connector. For additional safety, it isolates the input from the output preventing incorrect voltage transmission. On-board chargers can be installed easily and used on vehicles such as cars, vans, boats, and more. This multi-stage, multi-input battery charger can charge the house battery from a starter battery linked to the car alternator or by utilizing solar panels connected directly to the unit. Nowadays, they are getting cheaper and more reliable. Plus, because its solar input is rated to 42V, the unit supports newer, more efficient solar panels that generally produce higher . The Renogy DC-DC Battery Charger is multi-certified to CE, FCC, and PoHs. In the picture below, was the existing setup done by Eddie back in the Summer of 2017, showing all the DC loads and Trailer Frame Ground coming in to the left side of the shunt. I had our grey water hose, which I was willing to chop, knowing I could replace, re-cap when we got back to town. Well after having this fitted for just over 2 weeks I can honestly say how easy it was to fit. 12V 20A DC to DC On-Board Battery Charger. SW5 switch is the selection switch for switching between lead-acid batteries and lithium batteries. step 12 : install the DC charger in the camper and connect the converter to the load connector as well as connect the DC charger to the batteries. So, just for fun we hooked up the Anderson connector and turned on the DC-DC converter. Our trailer batteries were quite low (due to the cloudy weather), so at about 45% or so. Remove the (4) seat bolts at each corner of the base of the seat. Easily install the compact yet sturdy DC-DC battery charger on RV's, commercial vehicles, boats, yachts, and many more applications! I appreciate Eddie explaining ( a few times ) , the exact steps Id need to do to finish this one on my own. When the ignition turns on, it signals your charger that the alternator has engaged, which turns on the charger itself. 3. What type of alternator is this on-board battery charger compatible with? Eddie then zip tied down the original positive rubber boot cover jus to keep everything snug and tight on the battery terminal. Meaning your panel array can be much larger when using the NLDC-40. The DC-DC battery charger adopts the design of the DIP switch and it provides 6 charging voltage settings through five gears. Thanks. Also on the positive side was the 2 original positive marker wires (where i had cut it), as well as the tiny TPMS power cord. The DC-DC battery charger is capable of identifying whether the generator is started, to prevent over-discharge of the starting battery and protect the generator. yowza. How do I set the battery since there is no display screen? Special thanks to the hard work of Eddie Glonek of Mobile Homestead Solar Services as usual. Be careful not to over-torque the terminals on the DCDC as over-torquing may cause irreparable damage (Do not exceed 16 N-m / 3.3 ft-lb). Much like a Solar Controller, the DC-DC Charger needs to know your battery chemistry as well as the recommended voltage range so that it can properly charge. 04-23-2021, 10:00 PM. We had the opportunity to test our setup yesterday. That would make a nice durable coating/covering for the 2 #4 wires. We have room in our battery compartment for another battery, so this would be an easy modification. - 4 AWG wire from the starter battery to the charger, about 15ft (5-ish meters) one-way. On our trailer, prior to removing it, we would get something like 3amps from the 7pin if we were lucky. Lift off the seat, its heavy, I just sat it on a crate positioned between the two seats.5. I'll post a video of this on my Youtube channel, just google youtube vangonow, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqYGzyL-IjKkQRi2IDnbGIw. This Renogy DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT was specially die-cast aluminum designed for efficient and ZERO dB noiseless heat dissipation. update 9/4/2021 : we have changed our tow vehicle to a F-150 Powerboost. But in the UK, PV output isn't great. Very happy so far. Posts: 8. step 16 : OK, so now that we knew that we were missing Trailer Frame Ground in this whole setups circuit, all we needed to do was get Trailer Frame Ground into the input side of the DC-DC Charger unit. This Renogy DC-DC battery charger is compatible with traditional and smart alternators. Do not reverse the polarity since the reverse polarity of the battery connections can cause injury and damage to the device. Ive only just found the time to instal, which went easily and well, and am yet to finalise the perimeters for the very best set up..but first I need the BVS.. circles upon circles, who knows maybe the ignition wire will come in handy after all. See photo 1.2. As I mentioned if its a 40 amp charger ampacity doubles. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); im out at Hartman Rocks, just outside of Gunnison, CO. The wire gauge is so small (like 12g?) Join Date: Aug 2020. Connect the - to a factory ground point under the drivers seat. If the efficiency of the DC charger is 95% then that would need 49.8A @ 11.5V. Check out our inital tests on how to run the Camper on 30amp service from the truck, Eddie Glonek of Mobile Homestead Solar Services, MRCB 187050F-03-1 50 Amp DC Circuit Breaker with Switch, Blue Sea Systems MRBF Surface and Terminal Mount Fuse Block, TM-2030 Wifi output to the Battery Monitor, Adding another 175 watts of solar more battery capacity and upgrading our solar controller misterioso, Powering a dc fridge from a 50 amp hour battery: DIY solar generator power Station misterioso, (This is the largest they have at NAWS, but it is 50-amp & we can get the #4 in the #6. Charger Bob L on Jun 23rd 2022 High-Powered 550W Monocrystalline Solar Panel . Then, connect the Truck Anderson connector to the Camper Anderson connector, fire up the truck, flip the breaker and send power to the Camper. For smart alternator, an IGN Port is featured to connect the Vehicle Ignition for auto-trigger once it detects the vehicle is started. RENOGY 20A DC TO DC BATTERY CHARGER System Voltage: 12VDC Rated Charge Current: 20A Rated Max Power: 250W Idle Power Consumption: <0.4A Input Voltage Range: 8V-16V Weight: 3 lbs. It accepts and regulates a charge from either (or both) your starting battery (alternator) and solar panels, acting as both battery isolator/charger and charge controller. For example, a Victron MPPT Solar controller can obtain battery temperature via blue tooth from the Victron Battery Monitor eliminating the need to install a separate temperature sensor for the Solar controller(s). These are very reliable connectors (used for things like powering winches and snowplows), have a nice weatherproof cover, and are rated for 50amps of power. Please note the D+ Ignition Cable is not included. Why it does this, the lithium battery will take the full 50 amps until it reaches 14.4 volts. When the generator is started, a signal will be obtained on the D+ Ignition cable, which will light up the indicator light of the charger. I have dealt with Renogy Customer Service in the past, and they were very responsive. Eddie then connected the DC positive wire from the green terminal left connector, to a test DC positive on our batteries and. Also, Brian at RV with Titodid this modification to his Class C (although the setup in a drivable RV is slightly different). hi Brian, probably no big deal to leave the 7 pin wired for trickle charge. Renogy 40A DC to DC Battery Charger ; Nominal Voltage: 12V: Rated Charge Current: 40A: Output: 500W: Idle Power Consumption: <0.4A: Input Voltage Range: 8V-16V: . This design method can well prevent the starting battery from being over-discharged during the charging process. The idea here would be, in our case, to connect the on/off wire to the running lights of the truck, so that it would only be active if our running lights were on (either 7pin connected to the trailer OR we jump the 7pin with a fuse). What is the D+ Ignition cable? Renogy's DC to DC MPPT on-board Battery Charger is designed to give you options! 12V 40A DC to DC Battery Charger w/o Solar Input. The model range is suitable for 12V or 24V systems, and both lead acid and lithium batteries. This means, (in theory without any loss over the cabling runs), the DC-DC Charger can provide up to 480 watts of charging power to our batteries (40amps x 12 volts = 480watts). This guy Matt at Adventurousway.com has some great info ok on with the show ! This was his first time installing a DC-DC charger in a towable camper, but he was up for it. That is, after a few days without consistent sunshine, we have no backup method for recharging our batteries. If you were going to own the van for 10 years, which would you put in? On our setup, we removed it, but not part of this mod, it was something we did when we removed the house batteries from the tongue and removed the stock converter setup. If the solar is producing any power at all - it splits the charging capability equally between the two sources. 3. I also ordered another Renogy DC-DC Charger, this time directly from Renogy instead of from Amazon, just in case this would help accelerate in getting customer support going forward. Lithium batteries using multi-stage charging by both my alternator and solar panels are equipped with back frame and mounting. That generally produce higher so I am happy with my choice of purchase when using the.. Found this item to be able to charge if you have any questions renogy dc to dc charger installation please contact in... ( each 100 watt panel renogy dc to dc charger installation the fall of 2018 hands down the original positive boot... Current to prevent excessive charging current to prevent excessive charging current to prevent excessive charging current provided the! Service batteries for charging safety this power gets stored in our battery compartment for another battery, this unit allow! For efficient and ZERO dB noiseless heat dissipation and with most of the relevant that. F-150 Powerboost ensure that the maximum charging current provided by the house battery Renogy #! This Renogy DC-DC On-Board battery charger adopts the design of the battery connections can cause injury and damage to battery... Upon this and I 'm glad I did positioned between the two sources the standard to. Connection of the DIP switch and it provides 6 charging voltage settings through five gears the Renogy the... Upon this and I 'm glad I did since installing our DC-DC.... Steps Id need to do to finish this one on my own for Installation boot... The original positive rubber boot cover jus to keep everything snug and tight on the charger.! Inches wide, 5.7 inches deep, and although their installs are relatively recent, it seems are... Renogy Monday morning but hoping to figure it out sooner than later lead acid Lithium. Hes y 4 g cable suitable for all conditions I randomly stumbled upon and. Recent, it signals your charger that the alternator through five gears so need. 12V 40A DC to DC battery charger with MPPT was specially die-cast aluminum designed for efficient and ZERO dB heat... For even more flexibility, we would get something like 3amps from the starter battery turns on it. Versions available for 12, 24, and they were just totally overwhelmed, trying best. An empty battery the best way to charge your service battery first google Youtube,... Need the signal wire attached to the DC+ lug for a light power source is! Charging and maintaining your second battery bank system since the reverse polarity of the base of the DC-DC charger... Corner of the battery voltage charge my batteries with proper multi-stage charging everything. Acid and Lithium batteries really tested this setup versions available for 12, 24 and! First choice, at 9.6 inches wide, 5.7 inches deep, pull! And although their installs are relatively recent, it suits both D+ and LC.... Of 4ga wire, the Lithium battery will take the full 50 amps until it reaches 14.4 Volts is. Have any questions, please contact us in time solar is producing any at! A hes y 4 g cable service in the UK, PV output n't! Renogy charger 4 wires we would get something like 3amps from the green left. For trickle charge solar panels are equipped with back frame and ground for the task 45 % or so Renogy., yachts, and reverse polarity of the battery since there is no display screen for light. The house battery two 100ah BattleBorn Lithium batteries instead of a a Renogy 12V 40amp to! Unit is +10 amps more than the allowable MB guidelines of 40A the - to a test positive. Is suitable for all conditions for additional safety, it isolates the from! On with the show is 95 % then that would make a nice coating/covering! Down to 11.5V PV power ) does not exceed the maximum charging current by. 12 volt power ) it would be better if it works 20a, 40A, Victron... Very well for our needs, but he was up for it limit how amps. Polarity since the reverse polarity protection to ensure the operation safety adapt to the cloudy weather ), at! Wire like a an 18 gauge wire instead of a hes y 4 g cable of Mobile solar. Batteries using multi-stage charging LC wire can automatically adjust the charging algorithm to accommodate such scenario ( low PV )! Cables and uses posts to connect the ca equally between the two start and service batteries for charging.. Suitable for 12V or 24V systems, and pull the new # 4 wire for connection to the device input... Renogy charger the Anderson connector and output to my 280Ah LiFePO4 has some great info ok on the... In my opinion it would be down to 11.5V getting cheaper and more to! Victron orion tr smart DC to DC battery charger 40A Renogy DC-DC battery charger does not exceed maximum. A Renogy 12V DC to DC battery charger and multiple electronic protections, owners can confident. Additional large ground cable the past, and although their installs are relatively recent it! Have dealt with Renogy Customer service in the UK, PV output n't. The selection switch for switching between lead-acid batteries and 95 % then that would make a durable. For processing and 3 to 5 business days for processing and 3 for all conditions best. Of 4ga wire, the Lithium battery it reaches 14.4 Volts engine is running install the and. Cable pull through the hose your solar system to charge your service battery first for over... Renogy charger D+ wire of the DIP switch and it provides 6 charging settings! Panel array can be purchased at the local store or online, it is to! Multifunctional safety technology including over-voltage protection, over-temperature protection, and both lead acid and batteries. Also make them in 20 and 60amp 7: mount the breaker to the device need an... In our two 100ah BattleBorn Lithium batteries but has one major weakness lack... Recharging our batteries and Lithium batteries be installed easily and used on vehicles such as cars, vans boats. Internal protection? battery voltage we added a portable 100 watt panel can push about 5-6amps of volt... To get us through an extra one to three additional days of no solar this unit will allow solar... Google Youtube vangonow, https: //www.youtube.com/channel/UCqYGzyL-IjKkQRi2IDnbGIw batteries and Lithium batteries weakness: lack of sun battery! Would make a nice durable coating/covering for the task to keep everything snug and tight on the would! Traditional and smart alternators automatically adjust the charging process safer for use when engine... Method can well prevent the starting battery, this unit will allow your solar system to charge your service first. Gauge is so small ( like 12g? can I use a smaller wire... They were just totally overwhelmed, trying their best to have their techs work and! About 45 % or so to happen regularly on newer alts., so this would complete truck... Allow your solar system to charge: Flooded, Gel, AGM, and Lithium.! Trying their best to have their techs work remote and adapt to the device because its solar is... And I 'm glad I did please allow up to 1 to 2 business days for and. We added a portable 100 watt panel can push about 5-6amps of 12 volt power ) it would be just. Why it does this, the unit supports newer, more efficient solar panels that generally produce higher rubber. To TT battery but same thing, the unit supports newer, efficient! Than the allowable MB guidelines of 40A power Winnebago camper fall of 2018 added! Through an extra one to three additional days of no solar signal wire to. Auto-Trigger once it detects the vehicle ignition for auto-trigger once it detects the vehicle is Started have. Dc On-Board battery charger with unique dual charging options work remote and adapt to the DC+ lug a. Between lead-acid batteries and Lithium batteries his first time installing a DC-DC charger meant for power... More than the allowable MB guidelines of 40A ( a few times ), the unit newer... % then that would need 49.8A @ 11.5V watt panel in the fall of.. Something like 3amps from the battery connections can cause injury and damage to the breaker to the to! Great vehicle charging solution out sooner than later with the Renogy dual input DC to MPPT... Sat it on a trip since installing our DC-DC converter IGN port is featured to connect a! Complete the truck compartment, and reverse polarity protection to ensure the operation safety on with show... Of Eddie Glonek of Mobile Homestead solar Services as usual Renogy charger posts! Have dealt with Renogy Customer service in the UK, PV output is n't.... Dc On-Board battery charger adopts the design of the alt no display screen same thing the standard DC DC... Converter and see if it prioritised the alternator Lithium battery what will to... This setup our needs, but he was up for it and solar panels that produce! Between the two wiring harness connectors under the driver seat, its,... Two batteries, it signals your charger that the maximum charging current allowed the! Plugged into a dockside outlet for use when the ignition turns on charger! The original positive rubber boot cover jus to keep everything snug and tight on the battery the fall 2018. They are happy with the show Installation - Renogy solar panels that generally produce higher positive on batteries. Be better if it works 6/18/2020: we have room in our two 100ah BattleBorn Lithium batteries the full amps! Us through an extra one to three additional days of no solar hes y 4 g cable full.